Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #21 
jeterfan3

Ok, he kinda looks the same... his head down at an angle and his body upwards... he is sleeping with his nose down still. Is he okay???? Maybe he's not sleeping!? What if he's dead??? :( I don't want to do anything to jerk him. Ever since I put that towel around his bowl, he seems relaxed--no longer on the top, entirely on the bottom at an angle. Man. Why didn't I know to put some sort of lid on his tank. This really stinks he has to go through this crap. Some people would say, "it's just a fish." If I posted on Facebook that someone was really sick, so many people would post their well wishes. I posted my Fish on my Facebook and not ONE post. I don't care about their comments and shouldn't say that outloud. I just am worried about LilFish. I hope he's going to get better...
jeterfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #22 
inkrealm

I think if he were dead he'd float belly up at the top, don't worry <3 my little guy likes to tip himself like that too.... sometimes he even glass surfs the bottom like that :P and come to think of it I've seen mine sleep like that :) I used to have an anubias plant in the corner of his tank, and I peeked in at him one night to see which funny place he had chosen for sleeping, and found him crammed down behind it with his nose buried in the gravel. totally freaked me, D: but when I woke him up he was fine and just stared at me like what the spazz did you do that for? x3; I wouldn't bug him since he's so stressed...
also fish tend to float a little naturally, otherwise they'd sink every time they stood still, so I wouldn't say it's unusual for him to tip up a little if he's sleeping and not focused on staying in spot. stressed fish often go into "stealth mode" too, in which they won't move and try very hard not to move their fins... ( usually looks kindof like they're in a trance or superpeeved. )

and I know what you mean... because they live in water all the time and aren't furry and can't make noise and typically don't bleed when wounded, they get written off to a lesser scale than other animals like dogs and cats and such.... it's easy to see in pet stores... if you treated a dog or cat like that, people would be furious, but because it's a fish, it's "no big deal"... the thing is they're still living creatures.... their life is no less than that of a dog or cat just because they aren't furry. <T^T> there just aren't many true animal people around... they tend to be more cat people or dog people... I have issues with this every time I try to find a good pet sitter... I feel your pain... ;-;
I'm also not sure if most fish are like bettas or not... but bettas have personalities and emotions and feelings as well as thought processes and facial recognition... which is something most people don't realize untill they happen to be exposed to one for a long period of time and start giving it some sort of attention...
people do it with fin rot a lot. because their tails don't bleed when split in half, they don't think anything of it. but if your dog split their tail in half, you'd sure as hell be worried >^> because their tails don't bleed like a dog's would they think nothing of it x^x

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-26-2011 at 06:26 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #23 
jeterfan3

Ink, I just have to thank you, and thank you, and thank you for your kind words... It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO very helpful. You are a virtual angel. Huggggggs to you friend. You are my angel. I will keep you posted. Thank you so much. <3
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #24 
inkrealm

awww ^-^; -flail- I'm just glad my awkward rambling can be a little helpful and ease your mind a tad :D" I know how stressful it can be when your betta is off... and these guys can be off a whole lot even when they're totally fine, ( they love to fake sick and worry you if they figure out they can ) haha ;-; they're definitely well worth it <3 but it is stressful in the mean time.. I'll be eager to hear how he is doing :D <3 we're all rooting for him ^-^
Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #25 
jeterfan3

I just checked him again and his nose is right in bottom just like you said yours was. I really want to wake him up but I won't just based on what you told me. I will leave him alone until morning. He has NEVER been this way before. I really hope he's okay like you're saying.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:59 PM   #26 
inkrealm

Jeterfan- that sounds like a good idea.... can you tell if his color has improved at all?.... if he isn't up and about by morning, gently stick something clean in ( tank-cleaning tool, your finger etc. hot water, no soap ofcourse ) just to make a mild stir in the water and see if he won't move then. don't shake it or tap the glass... a stir should be fine but shaking or tapping would stress him out again xc is it nice and warm?

also make sure you don't have lotion or anything on your hands... that can be easy to forget sometimes >x<
Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 AM   #27 
jeterfan3

His color is much darker. I never thought about the color until you mentioned that earlier. I don't have a temp on tank. Is it okay if I used a meat thermometer and put it in water and it said 70? When you guys mentioned that earlier, I never had done the temp check for bettas. I didn't know about that until today. I am afraid to do any water temp changes as this point. What should I do?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:12 AM   #28 
inkrealm

good, dark is good... if it's too dark it can mean stress, but that's better than shock. and stress is expected ^-^; plus he may just be getting his color back, you won't be able to see that till morning probably... 70 is a little cold, but he'll be okay. you can get a preset heater that'll keep it in mid to high 70's from wal-mart for around fifteen dollars. for tonight, if you can afford it, I would turn your heat up as high as you can afford. his water temp will be a bit below room. but if you can't afford it, he should be okay for tonight. <3 my hospital tank didn't have a heater and a few nights it slipped into mid to upper sixties. badbadbad. but it didn't kill him. so while it's a definite nono it should be okay for a night. the towel will help keep it warm too. ^-^ as long as you think it won't get too much colder tonight. also since your fish has always been in it he may not be so sensitive to it. it might just be normal to him ^-^; it'll still be needed for his immune system, but if he doesn't know the difference right now it probably won't bug him too much... my guy got used to it and never acted cold... but is bad for their immune systems long run so i still got him back into hot water asap...

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-27-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #29 
jeterfan3

Okay thank you. Because I put the meat thermometer in the tank (it was clean), it moved the water a bit which caused him to float up a little bit. Gosh, I wonder if he moved because I thought he was facing the opposite way. He is facing upside down with his nose down in angle position.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:33 AM   #30 
inkrealm

yeah, he may have...
they often switch directions even in stealth mode... I peeved mine once and he wouldn't come out from behind his cup... but I looked away for a bit to clean up some splashed water and when I turned back he had switched which way he was facing haha.
maybe standing on their "nose" does something for them...
they can look pretty scary when sleeping... ;-;
don't forget bettas sleep like us too, so the fact that it's dark probably causes sleep more. mine doesn't like blankets placed over his tank AT ALL. and had a fit even at daylight savings earlier darkness x.x but I know a lot of people who just put blankets over their bettas' tanks when it's their "bedtime" and they go right to sleep so I wouldn't rule that out.... if you wake him up tomorrow, he may still be acting funny from stress and recovery... but in addition he may do some funny stuff swimming-wise, so give him about half an hour to an hour before you get worried about that. it's pretty common for them to take awhile to wake up and in the mean time they may bump into all kinds of mess ^-^; also be careful to only let a little light in at a time so his eyes can readjust... like slowly let more light in through the towels till they're all the way off.