Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #1 
DormDrax

I'm sorry!

Remember me?

I tried putting two bettas together in a 10gal? And it failed... And I was attacked? ... Well since then..........

I have added a new tank... Now I have the 10gal, the new 7gal.... And the 2gal...

In the 2 gal I have heated and Janus the old Betta I have... He's a red fireball double tail and he's alone in it... He loves it... Every day he has a bubble nest. Though I have to keep trimming the Wisteria... It's gone crazy in that tank haha.

The 7gal is 3 ... Well 1 fantail goldfish (Tynamo) then two feeder (the cheap ones from those over filled tanker) one big one named (Thisby) and a speckled one that looks like a Koi (but isn't) named (Torleil) they are very happy in the long low tank... I clean it weekly. Like all my tanks lol. They pretty much school... Though their sizes differ massively. Tynamo is about 4inches, Thisby is about 3 then Toreil is about 2.... Overstocked or not eh.... They have been fine for months and the idea of separating them is painful... They seem to love eachother. Always swimming against eachother lovingly it's adorable to watch.

Then the 10gal...
I've got Magnus... The newish Betta... A silver blue... Who knows what... Betta... I think he's a crown tail but they say he's a Spade... He's almost as friendly as Drax (god rest his tail) he's friendly and explores the tank all over (Whereas Janus because of his fin weight just sits around in one place) I have added an albino Pleco I've named Petya... Who has all but cleaned all the algae...
The two bamboo shrimp are doing well as well as the 5 NEO tetras and dozen ghost shrimp...

In all... All 3 tanks are doing marvelously... I won't pair two bettas again anytime soon.

Janus loves being alone and having a small tank to himself, and Magnus loves exploring the large tank. They are both very happy now.

So I apologize to the scare I gave you all when I put them together...
It was an experiment... That failed.

In all, I love having the new cold tank (the goldfish are unheated since my room is always warm) the goldfish are so fun to watch, and I love throwing snails from the big tank into theirs since they enjoy eating them.

In all... My tanks are doing famously and I owe it all to you guys for knowing proper Betta care... And proper fish care in general.
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Your 7 g is overstocked. You need a minimum 30 g for all three (although most will tell you 50+). Your feeders will get to be 12" each. If you don't move them, they will all die eventually. You might get a couple years out of them, but then they will die. It would be like a human dying in their early elementary school years.

I hope the failure didn't involve one of your fish dying. Experimenting with introducing different breeds/species together is okay. But, when deal with aggressive and semi-aggressive species it's usually a death sentence for someone in the mix. I'm glad you learned for your experience and will now move forward in fishcentric way.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #3 
Fenghuang

I'm glad that you came around. Your betta are happier and in turn, you can enjoy them more. It's a win-win. Thank you.

NeptunesMom is right about the goldfish though. I made the same mistake as a kid too. I kept four fancy goldfish in a 5 gallon tank, because that's what my dad got me and never knew any better. Goldfish in general in a lot of space and you are never told this by the people who sell them to you.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #4 
Flyby Stardancer

Not only do goldfish need a lot of space, but they need a ton of filtration too! They tend to produce a higher-than-average amount of waste that needs to be taken care of.
Flyby Stardancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #5 
DormDrax

Oh I plan to get a much bigger goldfish tank when I get my own apartment.
As for the waste I am aware of this, you all forget I'm an OCD clean freak with my tanks. Weekly 50% water changes for all tanks. It is also got a nice big filter on it that's pretty easy to clean.

And no no one died in the experiment. They fought for like less than 2 seconds.

Oh so fun that even when I feel I'm doing perfect I still apparently have alot to learn. XD

Well you said they would be fine for while so I'm not going to panic yet. I honestly just don't know where on earth I'd put a 30-50 gallon tank. *ponders*
DormDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #6 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DormDrax View Post
Oh I plan to get a much bigger goldfish tank when I get my own apartment.
As for the waste I am aware of this, you all forget I'm an OCD clean freak with my tanks. Weekly 50% water changes for all tanks. It is also got a nice big filter on it that's pretty easy to clean.

And no no one died in the experiment. They fought for like less than 2 seconds.

Oh so fun that even when I feel I'm doing perfect I still apparently have alot to learn. XD

Well you said they would be fine for while so I'm not going to panic yet. I honestly just don't know where on earth I'd put a 30-50 gallon tank. *ponders*
They will live (probably), but they won't be "fine" they'll be stressed and uncomfortable. I would move them as soon as you are able. Actually, at my store (it's a big chain store) there are employees who will refuse sale to you on feeder fish/ goldfish, unless you tell them you're putting them in a big enough tank. I will on anything smaller than a 10 g with one goldfish.

Your 7 g you probably want to clean at least twice a week with that many goldfish. Your 2 g are you only cleaning once a week too? It should be cleaned at least twice a week, with one 100% change.

The problem with fish keeping is we all usually start out doing it horribly wrong, and we have a huge learning curve. I know I did. I was a horrible fish parent for years, and I thought I was spectacular. Then I started working at a pet store, and found I needed to learn more than what I was taught about fish (because it wasn't enough for me to feel confident with helping people). I realized how much I stunk at fish care, and when I got my Neptune after several years of no fish, I wanted to do it right.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #7 
keepsmiling

I have five goldfish in my 90 w/ a 29 gallon sump. I can do as many as 8, but 5-6 looks much better proportionately, and mine are fancies. They are big, but not even as big as commons or comets. I do hope you will make the change for them soon. The 7 gallon will stunt them, if they even make it. A 55 gal would work.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote