Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #1 
miish

My poor fish :(!! Overnight disease

I'm so sad ! I think he got fin rot...but it progressed at an insane speed..I don't know if this is normal or not. I think I'm going to lose him at this rate, no matter how much I treat him.. :( Just wondering what I can change to prevent this from happening if I ever get another betta fish!
Also, my parents dropped off the AQ salt and they said that the pet store guy suggested adding AQ salt all the time, even with no disease because our water is very soft. Is this a good idea?

Housing
What size is your tank? 0.8 gallon (I know its small. I didn't know I needed a bigger one till I found this forum :( If I get a new betta I'll try and get a bigger tank)
What temperature is your tank? 78degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH betta bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3-4 days a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 2-50% 1 or 2 - 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? seachem betta basics

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: unsure
Nitrite: unsure
Nitrate: unsure
pH: unsure
Hardness: soft <-- how would I treat soft water?
Alkalinity: unsure

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Okay, well yesterday morning (around 9AM) i noticed a little bit of black along the edges of his fins. I did a 100% water change that morning. I thought fin rot so I got aquarium salt. I had class that entire day so I couldnt start treatment until after class, so around 5 o' clock. By the time I got back his ENTIRE back fin was black!! it happened so fast :( like seriously within 8 hours! Its day 2 and it looks like I'm going to lose my poor little fellow... he's so lifeless looking. I did another 100% water change with aq. salt this morning.. but I think its over.. he's not even moving now :'(

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He went from active and flaring at mirrors to sitting on the bottom and lifeless within one day.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
yesterday morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Aq. salt 1/2 teaspoon.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
He was a little bit unhappy before I found out I needed a heater, but never ill no.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea
miish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
miish

He's passed :( I feel so bad! I wish I could have done more to save him! Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening if I ever get another betta?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #3 
turtle10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miish View Post
He's passed :( I feel so bad! I wish I could have done more to save him! Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening if I ever get another betta?
Yes there definitely is. Probably about 99% percent of the people that begin keeping fish make mistakes, so don't worry about it too much. The point is that you know you made a mistake and are prepared to be the best owner possible if you get another betta. Even though your fish passed, I will still comment on your info because it could help for the future.

"
Housing
What size is your tank? 0.8 gallon (I know its small. I didn't know I needed a bigger one till I found this forum :( If I get a new betta I'll try and get a bigger tank)
I would say get a 2.5 gallon tank minimum, I think this is the smallest you could go and still have a comfortable betta
What temperature is your tank? 78degrees
Does your tank have a filter? no
If you don't get a filter, you need to do at least 2-3 water changes a week, one of those being a 100% water change. Make sure to keep the old water temp and new water temp about the same.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? HBH betta bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1 pellet twice a day
I would increase to 3-4 pellets a day, so about 2 pellets twice a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3-4 days a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 2-50% 1 or 2 - 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? seachem betta basics
Next time you go fish supply shopping, pick up some PRIME. It is extremely cost effective at only 2 drops per gallon.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: unsure
Nitrite: unsure
Nitrate: unsure
pH: unsure
Hardness: soft <-- how would I treat soft water?
Alkalinity: unsure
You betta will adjust to soft water, but I highly suggest you purchase a liquid test kit to monitor your levels. You need to moniter ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate if you get a filter, and if you don't get a filter at least get an ammonia tester.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Okay, well yesterday morning (around 9AM) i noticed a little bit of black along the edges of his fins. I did a 100% water change that morning. I thought fin rot so I got aquarium salt. I had class that entire day so I couldnt start treatment until after class, so around 5 o' clock. By the time I got back his ENTIRE back fin was black!! it happened so fast :( like seriously within 8 hours! Its day 2 and it looks like I'm going to lose my poor little fellow... he's so lifeless looking. I did another 100% water change with aq. salt this morning.. but I think its over.. he's not even moving now :'(

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He went from active and flaring at mirrors to sitting on the bottom and lifeless within one day.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
yesterday morning.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Aq. salt 1/2 teaspoon.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
He was a little bit unhappy before I found out I needed a heater, but never ill no.
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea"

Don't hesitate to ask more questions!
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #4 
Silverfang

Hi Miish, sorry to hear about your boy.
I was wondering, would you mind taking a look at this thread? We've had a few cases of a mystery disease that sounds like what you experienced. If it is the same, then there was likely nothing you could do.
www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76747
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #5 
inkrealm

HI Miish, I'm very sorry for your loss... :/
I do agree with Silverfang though.... if he was blue, it sound's like the post they listed... if this is the case, please do not blame yourself, this was not your fault. all of these owners lost their fish as well, and some of them have been keeping these boys for years and know tons about them...
that being said there were some issues that would resulted in sickness eventually, so while this case may not have been your fault, you should take Turtle's advice, it'll help you loads :3

also no, do not use Fresh Water Aquarium Salt as a regular additive, as this can harm them internally and also result in immunity to it, in which case when you need it as a treatment, it will not work.

also if you decide to get a filter and a 2.5, please look up how to make a filter baffle, as he will definitely need it in a tank that small. bettas and currents are a very bad mix D:
a baffle will lessen the filter output ( where the water comes back out ). if the intake ( where it sucks the water in ) seems to be too strong, get a sponge ( make sure it's safe! ) and cut a piece and wedge it into the intake tube where the opened ridges are. leave a little space at the top of the intake tube opening so it can still suck in water. ^-^ and please always ask questions <3
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:43 AM   #6 
turtle10

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the baffle like inkrealm said! He/she is right though, I had to put some fake plants and bamboo in front of my 2.5g filter.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #7 
miish

Okay ~ Thanks so much for the advice. I couldn't actually open the link you posted :( He was blue though, is there a disease specific to blue bettas?.
I'll make sure to follow your guys advice if I get another fish <3
I will admit I was one of those people that was lead to believe that bettas just need a little glass jar :(!! So much wrong information out there!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #8 
inkrealm

miish- I see you found the post~
since everyone seems to agree this was probably the mystery disease, while it is quite sad... on the up side at least you discovered the good information before any illnesses caused by yourself occurred... ^-^; I like to hope that since it is so fast they probably don't suffer much... and I'm glad you have found this site for all the good information, you are almost always in good hands here :)
the jar thing is a common mistake, so don't beat yourself up and remember that in this case ( if indeed it was the Mystery Disease ) it was not technically your fault... now your new fish ( although for now I personally would avoid another blue one >.<; ) will have a great happy home :D
and never trust the pet stores, you're quite right about the information :( unfortunately most of them are just looking to sell things with no real care to the fish, and even the ones who try to care just haven't been properly informed well-meaning as they may be...

also for future info~
something you may read a lot of places that seem legit is that you should regularly add a minor dose of fresh water aquarium salt... do not do this, as it both causes internal damage, and results in immunity to the salt treatment, so that when you really need it, it won't work. D:

the minimum amount of fresh water aquarium salt you can ever use is one teaspoon, and it's only for medicinal purposes. also always try pure fresh treated water first unless it's a highly aggressive issue. ^-^

I'm sorry your boy got this stuff.... it's definitely causing a lot of tragedy to fishowners... :/

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-26-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #9 
miish

Yeah I found it, currently editing my post with pictures and stuff. It made me so sad to see him suffer, even if it was pretty fast :(!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #10 
inkrealm

miish- yes, I do know what you mean :( it's a horrible thing to have to watch.... :/ I will be curious to see the pictures... the fact that this only happens to blue male bettas makes think it must be genetics... I wonder if all our boys are petstore fish? it wouldn't surprise me if some breeder has caused this through irresponsible breeding... since people who breed for petstores have nothing to gain by good breeding and all.... truly disgusting.....