Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #11 
Jessiefish

From my own experience and observation, it is a bit random. I have had posts edited -- presumably for implied language (I used symbols, my bad), yet other posts with inappropriate words spelled out go untouched. Before you go on to say that mods don't necessarily see everything or not everything is reported, some of these posts I have seen are one or two posts away from a mod post... on the same page of a thread. Kinda weird.

As for this topic, there was recently a thread posted, sans pictures, about a horrible pet store that described bad living conditions and poor care; and that thread was not deleted. I think that's where the confusion comes in... that, while it may be disturbing, there's a difference between bringing awareness and posting for shock value or giggles. I agree that we don't really need to see pictures of the bad conditions, though. Some people are, understandably, very sensitive to that kind of thing.

Horrible living conditions at Walmart are not any different than, you know, the 6 goldies in a 0.5 gallon tank (which there was also a thread about). We don't really need to see pictures of that, either. We know how awful that is just from the description. But if discussing it brings awareness of what not to do and/or make a more informed decision on where to decide to take our business, I fail to see how that education is negative.

After all, members of this forum are very quick to jump on newbies when it comes to Betta care. "Wow, you should really get a bigger tank." "Do you have a heater?" And that is awesome. You guys are helping dispel the myths that are printed right in the Betta section of pet stores (SMH).
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I'm not a mod but I'm very sure that nothing is done on this forum without discussion. While we may not like or agree with some of the rules they are in place for a reason and we should respect them. While it may seem random to us we need to remember that the Mods have their own place to discuss the goings on of the forum.

Its very possible for a mod to miss something in a post below or above theirs. Not everyone reads every word of every post so sometimes stuff gets over looked.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:54 PM   #13 
CrowntailTwitchy57

I don't think we should attack the mods here, they are just doing their jobs keeping upsetting and non-family-friendly material off the forum.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #14 
Pitluvs

I just have to say I have had nothing but a great experience with the mods on this forum, even when I've been contacted by them. Any time my posts have been modified or removed, I have agreed with their reasoning. And with that, Thank You Mods

I have no idea what this is going to solve.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #15 
erinandares

I agree that the mods are doing well. That said, there has been a lot of crankiness on here lately. Whattup with that? We should watch our betta fish for a while and put ourselves in better moods before posting. :3
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree, Erin. There HAS been a lot of crankiness. Play some Christmas music and get in the holiday spirit. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #17 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Keep in mind that we get e-mails every time someone reports something whether it be for foul language, disturbing content, spam, cattiness, arguing, and the list goes on and on.

We generally discuss things as a team but we can't all be on here at the same time and so whoever is on here when the reports start coming in about a particular issue has to make a judgement call at that time.

There have been times when deleted threads have been put back out there when we do get the chance to discuss and review them as a team or when the forum admin. has a chance to discuss it with us.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #18 
laughing

There's a HUGE difference between pictures of a fish laying half dead or dead in a brown water cup rotting... or a fish with an obvious disease... or something like that vs goldfish that TO THE EYE are "healthy". In comparison, I'd like to say you seeing a dog in a cage that has been in there for 2 weeks straight with it cleaned out you do not see any serious damage yet and you are just upset about the fact that he's locked up. But a picture of a dog with full on mange and bloody skin trapped in there with feces everywhere is a whole different ball park. Same scenario - different reaction.

I hope that clarifies a tad?

And in my opinion, this is an uplifting forum, not a depressing one. I don't venture into the memorial section for a reason, I don't open certain threads in the emergency section for a reason, either. I don't want to see threads similar to those crossing into other sections. I know many other members feel the same.

That's purely MY opinion. Please take it with a grain of salt... Again, MINE.

I think the mods are great at taking everyone's consideration into matters. Just because you don't agree with something specifically doesn't mean it isn't benefitting the rest of the members. They do consult with one another and I'd bet a pretty penny there was a section on here invisible to us where they converse!!

Again, purely my opinion, I think everyone here needs to take a "chill pill". If you have a problem, PLEASE contact mods.. I mean this in a nice way: it gets rather annoying to see complaints plastered every where by many different members. I have found mods (and even the admin) respond quite quickly when privately messaged. We can leave disputes and complaints to them in private and leave the fun/happiness to the public!!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thank you, Laughing. I think some people don't realize how much work mods and admin put into this forum and how much time. And we do have lives outside the forum (except me, lol).I enjoy what I do and I like everyone on here.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #20 
tpocicat

I'm afraid we have all seen really awful betta care in their LFS. We really don't need to see such pictures here especially since we are trying to take the best care of our fish. Thank you moderators for doing your job!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote