Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 01:42 AM   #1 
emeraldsky

Blue Lobster

I just picked one up from petco and adore the way he looks, hes in my 29g by himself right now and about 3 inches long. Poor thing is missing 2 legs and a feeler, found out after I got him home x.x

Anyways, I know male bettas generally cant be housed with crabs and such since they are slow and have long fins.

However, would it be possible to have a plakat male in with a blue lobster? The tank is a tall so the betta would mostly hang out around there and the fins would be short. Id also get a king betta from petco so it would be bigger than average.

I really only want one fish in this tank since I'll be focusing on plants and want a center piece fish and bettas are the prettiest fish out there :P The tank will be lightly planted though.

If this cant be done, does anyone have other suggestions? Im kinda at a loss of what fish I want since all I really know is small schooling fish and bettas x.x

Thanks all!
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #2 
bettalover2033

You definitely cannot put a betta in a tank with a blue lobster. Impossible. Bettas are curious fish and even though they are tiny, they will flare to the end of the world. Also they will try to attack it. The blue lobster will eventually catch him and eat him. trust me I know from experience. So please don't put a betta in their will a blue lobster or any other kind of lobster, crayfish, or crab.

Well blue lobsters, crayfish, or crabs aren't compatible with other fish. Any other fish is a meal to it. They are scavengers and will even go to cannibalism to get some food. They aren't compatible, only with their own species. Sometimes not even then. I used to house some about three months ago and found that they could not live with each other because one of them tore off the others claw and ate it. When I tried putting fish in the tank with both of them in their to maybe distract them both from each other, I woke up to two fish out of 4 goldfish 4 neon tetras and 3 black skirts. I didn't think it was possible until I seen them trying to catch the last two left. Also they are VERY GOOD climbers and escape artists so that should be on your mind not to get live or fake plants that are very tall because they will climb it and try to get out.

At the very least he may pinch one, leaving them open to infection. But either way, someones likely to get hurt. They are omnivores, and if they catch a fish, they'll definitely eat them.

-BL2033

Last edited by bettalover2033; 11-27-2011 at 03:46 AM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #3 
emeraldsky

Thank you for letting me know, I think Ill be giving the lobster to my friend who was super jealous of it. He has an extra tank and the lobster can live on his own.

Would you happen to have any idea for a fish for my tank however?
Im still stumped on it D:
Old 11-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

Well since this is a betta forum, i would suggest a sorority of female bettas with some other fish depending on what size gallon tank you have.

-BL2033
Old 11-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #5 
emeraldsky

I already have a sorority :P

I have 8 girls in a 20 gallon and 8 other bettas around my house so im hoping to try something new X)

This tank will also be very sparsely decorated so a sorority wouldnt be a good idea ^^
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #6 
Laki

What about some sort of cichlid? They can get pretty ^.^
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #7 
ManInBlack2010

what about gouramis? i plan on starting a tank of honey gourami after the first of the year (christmas present :D)
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

What size is the tank?

IF the tank is large enough, I would suggest an oscar or a few African Cichlids. I love the electric blue or yellow ones. I have a 55 gallon that I would like to put a few African Cichlids in. Or even a red tail cat fish! I want one so bad. Try some parrot fish or the "blood Parrots" they would be very nice!

If you have a smaller tank, I would suggest some Gouramis. Maybe blue spot gouramis, with dwarf ones. Parrot fish would look beautiful too!

-BL2033
Old 11-27-2011, 11:53 PM   #9 
emeraldsky

Its a 29gallon tall

Im leaning towards some chiclids and my local petco, the guy who runs the fish center breed them himself and they are really pretty! He said they would fit in my tank as well so I think they stay pretty small.

Either that or one angelfish or possibly 2 goldfish c:
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #10 
EvilVOG

Cichlids can get really big. I fostered some for a friend of mine i'd say they were all around 8" to a foot long.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue lobster