Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #1 
jfw

How long do betta fish sleep?

How long do they sleep does anyone know? Is it bad for them to get less or more?
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

From what I've read, fish don't really "sleep" like we do. I think they just go into a state of rest but with their eyes open to be on the lookout for predators. They probably just rest for short periods of time but I really don't know.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #3 
BettaMiah

Bettas don't 'sleep' in a sense. They do lie dormant and rest, if that what you mean. All fish do this. More or less. Sharks, for example, have to keep swimming to live, so they do it a different way.

But technically yes, they do rest or sleep. They don't stay active all day, thats for sure. My Ryu is so lazy... He likes to sleep in late!
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

For all I know they "sleep" all night LOL
I know my females are always asleep when I wake up in the morning and turn on the light. It will take them a few seconds to realize lights are on and I'm moving about.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #5 
laughing

Julep "sleeps" in his dinosaur skull, so I never see much out of him. Kaida likes to bury herself and "sleep" or rest in highly unusual places.

It's Fandango that I have gotten to see this.. He likes to lay on the bottom or on a broad leaf of the Melon Sword. He's very easy to spot so I can watch quiety. I think they "sleep" for very brief periods (not 8 hours at a time like us!!) and will go into the state, come out for a bit to check out their surroundings, then go back in again. At least that's what Fandango does.

Like Vil's sorority, he doesn't instantly "awake". I'll turn on the light, sit there a minute, and lightly tap the glass (basically just touching my finger to the glass) and in a minute or two he'll come around. Instantly he'll gulp some air then be right on over!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I think they "sleep" for very brief periods (not 8 hours at a time like us!!) and will go into the state, come out for a bit to check out their surroundings, then go back in again. At least that's what Fandango does.
That sounds similar to what Rosso does when he is tired. He'll usually swim into the top part of his temple, lays dormant for a little bit, swims out, then comes back around to the temple to rest a little longer. He has been known to rest in other odd places in the aquarium.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #7 
laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
That sounds similar to what Rosso does when he is tired. He'll usually swim into the top part of his temple, lays dormant for a little bit, swims out, then comes back around to the temple to rest a little longer. He has been known to rest in other odd places in the aquarium.
So maybe that's how they "sleep"?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #8 
misterBetta22

They sit still and rest for a while either floating somewhere or up top resting in the corner. I don't know if they actually sleep for like 12 hours. But if you stay too late and at like at midnight, and still turn on the lights, it would not feel very natural for the fish and then you wake up early in the morning, with the lights turned on. Not to worry though, they always love to rest during the daylight too. I have been worried about this too...
misterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #9 
Pilot00

Mine goes to a three different places to rest. Inside a plant, on a specific spot on the bottom or above the flat area of the oxygen producer (currently decommissioned due to current building)

I can verify that when there is absolutely no darkness he will be sleeping/inactive for long hours, though i cant figure out how they breath without going on their little trips.
Pilot00 is offline   Reply With Quote