Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #1 
Kiwimommy

Few questions on fry..

Before I begin breeding, I have a few more questions to clear up.
I have the food down, a 10 gallon tank bare bottomed with a moss ball, one fake rubber plant, heater, two 1/2 plastic cup pieces in there, lid with light adding humidity, and a GORGEOUS dragon scale boy and a very pretty, VERY eggy little girl.
My girl has been spending the past few months being conditioned with mosquito larvae during the summer, food multiple times daily (my girls ask to be fed a lot, but I usually do 2-3 pellets per fish 2-3x daily, as some end up eating more than their share so I try to make sure all my girls get enough)
Now here's one question..
Is it alright if my girl is a bit bigger? She's been spoiled rotten for months and the boy is fairly new. She's probably the smallest conditioned female.. I have one that is MASSIVE. She's also docile from what I've seen.
The boy is doing his little wiggles and dancing, and she isn't flaring in her cup :D She watches him, but doesn't threaten him :) Her stress bars also went away immediately upon seeing the male, which was neat. She's easily freaked out..

Would the fry be healthy enough that they won't all die on me in 3-4 weeks when I (hopefully) move? It'd be a quick move and I can transfer them to a 2.5 gallon with some heat packs in a box, but how fragile would they be at that age?

I think that's the only questions I have.. thought there were more, so if I remember them I will put them here too.

Thanks in advance :)
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Female slightly bigger is OK.... Is she fat.... I mean if you view her from above, does she look normal thick or really thick? IME, if the female is too fat, she often will have problems releasing her eggs during embrace and will release out of embrace ... not good. But if she is normal, just slightly bigger, they should spawn successfully.

IMO fry less than 0.5 cm are rather fragile against water pram changes, currents/splashes etc. So try to get them as big as possible - they should survive a move. Just try to keep inertia(?) as minim as possible.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #3 
Kiwimommy

Thanks :) She's regular fat. I do have one girl that is fat fat..but that's because she's faster than the rest, and also longer. Alpha betta much? haha.
I do have another question now!
I released the girl and, oddly enough..she's chasing the male. She has her breeding stripes that just seem to be getting darker as she chases, and he's all excited and showing off his finnage.. but he's also practically begging her to chase him. No lie, if she stops he will swim over to her, do a wiggle then swim off, thus starting the chase again. Reminds me of kids on the playground. o.O
Normal or is he just odd?
Ah.. just looked over and he's chasing her now.. so I guess it was just a phase.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That's normal - they always play "follow the leader" sometimes male follows, sometimes the opposite. Even after the first few nips, they will keep doing this..... until the female has had enough and hides. But then she will return to him.

Sometimes the male is so docile/gentle that he hardly injures the female. Usually in such cases, the "game" will go on longer.

Congrats on your pair.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #5 
Kiwimommy

Just got back from being out for a few hours. The male's bubblenest is bigger than it was before and he's hiding under it, coming out every so often to give chase to the female.
She's a bit nipped (not bad) on the other side of the tank. From what I can see, I don't think they spawned yet but I can't be sure...
I'll give them a little bit and see if anything else happens..
Any ideas?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:00 PM   #6 
Kiwimommy

He's definitely trying to lure her to the nest. He will swim to her, swim in an S shape, then swim halfway to the nest and stop, look at her and wait.
So far she's ignoring him, despite super bright breeding stripes.
He's sooo excited!
Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #7 
randio

the female i'm curently spawning is a bit bigger than my male. they seem to be doing fine. I guess it depends on how much bigger your female is than your male.
randio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #8 
afishpond

just as long as male can get a round her it's fine most te time theycan work it out.
afishpond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #9 
mountaintrout

He's doing his thing for the most part. A bit more time perhaps. Keep us posted
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #10 
Kiwimommy

Got some photos!
The female, a little torn from their chasing, lurking around;

Bubble nest expanded.. MORE!

My boy;

I tried getting pictures of them together, but either he'd be too active with his dance or he was swimming away. So I gave up.. haha