Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 02:44 AM   #1 
Arashi Takamine

Oh god what I have I gotten myself into?

I am a major arachnophobe I shiver minutes after seeing a photograph of a spider...I want to get over this fear...

What do I do? I find a sight that's like ours but for arachnid owners and joined explaining that I'm there not to ever own one but to get over my fear.

Was it stupid of me?
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

:) I used to be horrified of spiders. I decided to start studying tarantulas to get over my fear, and someday plan to own one. I'll start with a 'sling' (baby) that shouldn't even be handled much anyway and will be small and less threatening that will grow up to be a docile adult. Through feeding it and being around it more and more I will get over my fear and replace bad memories with good ones!

Until then--I look at pictures, read about them, talk about them, learn about them, think about how to house and feed them, etc.

I've seen people afraid of snakes join reptile forums to get over their fear..lol. Most of them end up getting snakes someday!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 PM   #3 
Arashi Takamine

That sounds like an awesome plan. I'm already plotting tanks for one if I ever decide to get one lol. I just gotta do my research since getting a tarantula is an almost lifetime deal with how long they live. I wish you luck in getting your own T one day. ^_^
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

I bought a T (my only impulse animal buy ever!) to help me get over my fear of spiders. She is great. Can I post pictures of her? I have had her for 5 years. I never hold her, though sometimes I move her with a tupperware container if i have to clean. She is a g. rosea. Unlike most, she is pretty easy-going and has adapted to being in captivity well (though they are commonly handled, they tend to have troubles moving to the opposite side of the world and don't normally display natural habits!). If I were to do it all again I would have bought captive bred (and of a different species!).
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

She sounds wonderful. Yes please do post pics. ^_^ A G. Rosea...That's a rose hair right?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #6 
Jessiefish

Small world -- I just saw your thread over there as I was searching for a T forum and found that one. I have become very interested in having a T, so I'm doing my research. I want a Green Bottle Blue.
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

:) I want a green bottle blue as well! Also a brazilian giant black--they are known to be slow moving, docile, and giant...all good things to me! :) Also interested in some of the more 'classic' tarantulas..Either red rump or the red knees..all of them are cool!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #8 
Kytkattin

Here she is!

Her name is Octavia. So unoriginal, I know.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #9 
Laki

You can help get over your fear by completing self-therapy. It's called systematic desensitization and usually a trained therapist helps you do it. They teach you how to relax entirely, like mentally make your autonomic nervous system calm down (this is the part where real therapy can help). Then you would write a highest to lowest list of everything that scres you about arachnids. Starting with the one that makes you feel the least afraid you will be subjected to it (say, if seeing a picture of a spider web was the least you would be told to make yourself relax while looking at the picture of a web).. Anyway, this process can take weeks to gradually go up the list calming yourself at each level. But it's one of the best methods!

All that said, I'm quite afraid of spiders myself. What I did to help myself (since having a phobia is knowing that the fear is unreasonable and ridiculous) is I taught myself to pretend I was not afraid of them when I was watching my little niece!! I didn't want her to grow up afraid of spiders bc of me (she already chews her fingernails bc of me O.o ) so I pretendd I wasn't afraid! It helped a bit and now the only spiders I get nervous of are the ones that crawl on the ground. The hunter types. Web spiders are only upsetting to me if I feel the web touch me- don't care about the spider in them! And if I'm home alone and there's a spider I have to remove it by myself (bc I cannot kill anything other than fleas and mosquitos)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #10 
Rosso1011

Laki makes a good point about systematic desensitization. You've already made your first step towards progress, admitting you have a phobia and that you want to confront it. You're doing the right thing by starting off small with talking to people about spiders. Keep up the good work and good luck!
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote