Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #1 
wwendy104

Unhappy Baby is sick, any suggestions?

Ok so my baby plackat has been with us about 4 weeks and has been great. Three days ago I noticed that he was having a hard time swimming as if he kept floating to the top and couldn't stay down and was using alot of energy. I have been keeping my eye on him but today he took a turn for the worse. When I got up he was on his side but still breathing. I don't see that he has anything particular wrong as in spots or Ich. I fed him and he ate happily this morning.

Then I watched him swim down to his cave but its as if he is fighting a current but there is no filter in his tank. Currently he is in a QT tank with Epson Salt but his regular tank is as follows:

2 gallon, heated to 78-80, with silk plants and a cave. He eats pellets of 3 twice a day. I change his water 50% one time a week and 100% one time a week. I use Jungle conditioner and Tetra Right start each water change. All my other fish are fine and healthy and have the same regimen. He is always reconditioned to the new water for 20-40 min.

Any ideas? I thought maybe SBD and I think maybe I have been over feeding him since he is so small. All my other fish are big and grown, he is the only baby we have had. Is there something I did wrong?

Last edited by wwendy104; 11-27-2011 at 02:10 PM.
wwendy104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It could be pressure on the duct that is causing the buoyancy problems or it could be a genetic defect from a deformed swim bladder or it could be too cool dry air over the water that is causing labyrinth organ issues..he caught a cold of sorts......

How much Epsom salt are you using and for how long-are you also using tannins and did you cover the top of the Qt with plastic veggie wrap to help retain the heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #3 
wwendy104

So this could basically be something I didn't cause?? I feel so bad but I haven't done anything different with him then the others. I am using 1tsp per one gallon as other threads suggested of Epsom salt and I just started it this afternoon. No not using tannins as I know nothing about them really, and I have a cover on it but it is a small kritter keeper type QT. I can put veggie wrap on it if it will help.

Are these issues you talk about curable? I guess since he was a baby when we got him any of them could be possible. He seems a little bloated but if I go over to the tank he will start swimming around and seems to get excited as usual. Then its as if he gets exhausted and despite his efforts to stay up he will float to one side and lay there. He was maybe a half inch when I got him and he has grown to maybe just under one inch.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #4 
turtle10

I don't think you are changing the water enough for that tank size. I would do at least one 50% and one 100% every week.

As for the food, I don't necessarily think you are feeding too much, but maybe try cutting out 1-2 pellets tomorrow and then feed him his food in three meals. Like feed him 1-2 pellets in the morning, 1-2 in the afternoon, and 1-2 in the evening.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #5 
wwendy104

@Turle10-I already do a 50% and a 100% per week so Im not thinking it is the water. My other three are in other tanks and get the same water changes and conditioners and they are fine.

I think he might be doing a little better since putting him in the QT tank with Epson salt. I do see a white spot near his gill on one side but I don't know if it is anything cause it sort of looks like part of his color. He is really irridecent so one min he looks white and another purple it all depends on the light. He isn't floating on one side as much now it seems. And he was swimming around more when I got home.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #6 
turtle10

Oh my bad, I just scrolled up and I did read it wrong. I am stumped, I don't think it is water quality either. I guess just keep an eye on him for now.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #7 
wwendy104

So here is an update. I came home from being out and he did look better but he was still having an issue swimming down. I did a 25% water change again and put in about a 1/4 tsp more of epsom salt with the change. He is also so tiny I moved him into a .5 gallon so he won't have to swim so deep up and down. I also moved him to a dark area where he won't have any stress. I just went to check on him and he is swimming slow and steady in the middle of the tank, doesn't look hindered in anyway, and he isn't floating straight up to the top of the tank like before. It is crazy that only a couple of hours in that epsom salt works that fast.

My husband looked at him earlier and told me I should just put him out of his misery but I was nearly in tears. He thought I was crazy when I whipped out the epsom salt and he said you are going to kill him in that. He was shocked when I called him out to see what he looked like now. I am so thankful for this site, I just hope he continues to get better.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #8 
turtle10

Don't put him out! We have seen bettas in much worse situations than yours come out with a clean bill of health on here. I say that if there is a chance, even if it is a small chance, keep fighting! I am so glad he is doing better, hopefully he will heal even more during the night.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #9 
wwendy104

I wouldn't put him out but my husbands first thought is he's suffering. I always believe I can fix everything so I got on here and looked through everything. This is my first fish issue:) so Im learning quickly!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Awesome...good to hear he is better...I would keep him in the Epsom salt 2-3tsp/gal and QT for at least 7 days along with the water changes....

Once you get him re-acclimated back to the freshwater and if the buoyancy problem returns...it may be a chronic issue and will need to be kept in low dose Epsom salt 1tsp/gal all the time.....

Epsom salt is safe to use long term and its live plant safe too......

Keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote