Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #1 
Sky

Betta Left Without Water! What Should I Do?

Hey Guys,

I was travelling back home from the holidays with my betta who was in his travel tank, but I hit some rough traffic and sometime during the ride his tank tipped over and he was left without water!!

When I found him he was stuck to the side of the tank, so I literally ran to get an emergency water bottle that's been de-chlorinated and immediately poured him some water. I was so surprised when he moved!

Now, my poor baby is struggling and looks like he's gasping for air. He spends time just lying on the bottom of his travel tank, but he'll go up for air, and he's currently lying vertically so his face is at the surface. He's lost color under his head though, he's suppose to be a blue but it's white.

Is there anything I can do for him? Should I use stress coat? I feel totally helpless by this point, and I'm not even sure if he'll survive the night. I'm not even sure how long he was without water. I was on the road for hours. This has never happened before, so I definitely would appreciate suggestions on how to care for him from this point.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #2 
turtle10

I would keep him in the warmest, darkest place in your house. It doesn't look like you have a heater, if you have one or could get one it would be very beneficial to him. Also does he have any plants or decorations? Bettas don't like big empty spaces, they like to be able to hide.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:04 PM   #3 
Sky

I literally just got back to school. I haven't even unpacked. He's currently in his travel tank. He has a 2.5 gal tank with plants, decorations, and a nice big barrel where he hides. I could turn off the lights and use my lamp to keep it dark right now though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle10 View Post
I would keep him in the warmest, darkest place in your house. It doesn't look like you have a heater, if you have one or could get one it would be very beneficial to him. Also does he have any plants or decorations? Bettas don't like big empty spaces, they like to be able to hide.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 
turtle10

Oh ok, lol! I didn't see it was just his travel tank. He will be fine, I know how stressful packing/unpacking is so I wouldn't worry about decorations or anything like that. Just a dark, warm place is best.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #5 
vilmarisv

He doesn't seem to be too bad. If you have stress coat, use it. Otherwise follow the advice of the other posters and keep his water level low.
He will most likely be back to his old self in no time.
Any damage to the eyes?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #6 
Hisaki Yuki001

I know it's probably a little later than I would do, but sometimes when I have jumpers, I'll leave an aeration stone in their tank the first day or two afterwords to help with supplying oxygen to the water as well. I know Betta Can and do breath from the surface, but they can breath as well in the water. I would just try to make the aeration stone not too turbulent by using an air-valve thing attached to it that allows you to slow the bubbles down a bit so it doesn't really stress him out.

I had a new guppy that jump out of his tank a week or two ago and I didn't find him until about 30-60 minutes before he jumped. I was sure he was dead. Just to be sure, for some reason I stuck him in a cup of treated water and an air-stone and set the bubbles on blasting. It was a minute or two before he came around, five minutes or so before he started trying to swim and twitching violently. He's fine now but I kept the aeration up in his tank that night with a lid over it. You don't want to blast it with a Betta though over night as it could stress him. I'd only do that to try and revive him.

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 11-28-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote