Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #91 
GreenTea

Well it was only a few drops at a time, I don't think feeding them more would be good, they always looked full, maybe I'll feed the same amount but space it out.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #92 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Well it was only a few drops at a time, I don't think feeding them more would be good, they always looked full, maybe I'll feed the same amount but space it out.
Yes that is what i said. I said feed them the same food, just in small portions, but I mean (smaller than you normally do.)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #93 
cajunamy
Banned

Hmm, I also want to say overfeeding but it doesnt' seem like it? The last spawn, I fed microworms for like the first week, then went to decaps, golden pearls, and 3 other different powdered foods. (bought off of AB) I fed about 3-4 times a day, I probably overfed, but that's what I have snails for. I've never fed egg yolk, so I can't really say on that :/

I think I'd go ahead and set up a drip to fill the tank the rest of the way. I also agree with trying to feed in smaller portions, but more times throughout the day - like I think you said twice a day you are doing yolk? Maybe do half of what you were doing at one feeding, and break it all up into 4 feedings instead.

It does sound like a SB problem
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #94 
bettalover2033

I would like to say SBD problem as well, but I don't understand if they had SBD then they would only be floating at the top and struggling to get down? Though bucking is very confusing. When you first said "bucking" I thought of them being very you as of less than two days old because fry tend to get a little ahead of themselves at that age. Have you observed anything else?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #95 
DarkMoon17

Mine usually float at the surface after they've gorged themselves but I've only fed bbs and micro/walter/banana worms at that age. When did you offer them the first feeding of crushed pellets? And what kind are they? You may want to stick to dry foods that are geared towards fry since they tend to have fewer grain products (and are therefore less likely to cause SB issues).

As mentioned previously, feeding several smaller portions should help.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #96 
GreenTea

It was just one new life spectrum betta pellet, fed along with some yolk when I ran out of egg and was worried they wouldn't have enough. Right after that they were switched the microworms, and Tisia fed them worms and yolk yesterday. Would adding a few grains of epsom salt help?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #97 
cajunamy
Banned

I don't know about the epsom salts - never tried it with fry so young. Maybe just try fasting tomorrow first if they're still displaying the behavior, then go from there?
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #98 
Tisia

I actually sprinkled a bit of the squished pellet along with worms this morning because I wasn't sure if all of them were eating the worms and I was in kind of a hurry, so it might be my fault, sorry >_<
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 PM   #99 
bettalover2033

I would agree because you could be treating a problem that needs no treating at all. Usually SBD is easy to recover from but for fry is a bit of a challenge.

Look at this and read the SBD part of it. Also when I read from here, I seen a part that mentioned that most of the time, people don't understand that they can kill fish with using medications when they aren't needed. It was worded a lot better than I remember but that was just my interpretation of it.

The link is: http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

@GreenTea: Just to ask for future references, I'm just a bit confused. Are you home or still away? Tisia is there, but sometimes it sounds like you are there as well. I'm just a little curious.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #100 
GreenTea

I'm home now, she was with them this weekend. It's ok Tisia don't worry about it, they'll be ok! I fed them it once before too so it's not like it's your fault.

Gosh I am so tired. I'll keep checking this if anyone adds more but bth I'm going to hve to respond better tomorrow.