Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #21 
GreenTea

Thank you all! :) I just hope they make it. I have this constant desire to check and see if they are adults/all dead - that's very irritating! I'm sure the anxiety will lesson as the days go on. I'm aging some water now to start adding tonight or tomorrow.

I see some snail poop on the ground along with some leftover egg yolk. I have a sponge filter that passes a bubble every other second or so as well as some java moss, a moss ball, a little duckweed and two small apple snails in there. I'm worried about water quality though since I see the stuff on the bottom... Should I just chill? And is is appropriate to add a drop of prime or something each day until I add more water.

On a positive note, it's super exciting to see them go after the egg yolk! There were 4 dead fry yesterday...one of which was my fault (he fell out of the siphon onto a blanket in a drop of water) but none that I see today. Day 6! I'm hoping they all make it to day 14 as that seems to be when things get a bit less precarious.

Last edited by GreenTea; 11-28-2011 at 09:32 AM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #22 
mountaintrout

sounds like you are doing good. getting past those first fearful days are terrible.
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #23 
heathbar

Wow, they are STUNNING! I can't wait to see what they fry will look like all grown up. Good luck with this spawn.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #24 
tpocicat

The first few days (weeks?) are always scary. They are going to be soooo beautiful, can't wait to see more pictures as they develop.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #25 
TequilatheBetta

good luck :) the parents are gorgeous.
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #26 
Curlyfatbottom

for me that first four week is the hardest.
-since there still developing there labyrinth system.
-some fry choose not to eat.
-few degree change will throw them to shock

congrat on your spawn.
you got some babies.
:)
looking forward to see the babies grow up.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #27 
Kytkattin

The parents are some of the most beautiful, interesting fish I have ever seen. I can't wait to watch the babies grow!!!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #28 
Oldfishlady

Congrats.....and what a beautiful pair and great pics....thanks for adding what camera you are using....I need a new one....lol....

The snail poop is less toxic than rotting food-it looks unsightly...but its much easier to remove than rotting food....adding a drop of Prime will not hurt between water changes and adding water....

Since you are using a partial filled tank-I would remove half gallon and replace with 1gallon each day until full-then 50% daily to promote good growth and development.

If the sponge filter was already mature-this will help biological filtration-along with that, the live plants, assistance from the snails and the water changes your water quality should be fine....

Its not uncommon to have a few deaths here and there or even to see half to a dozen dead at one time-natural selection at work as long as all the living fry appear to be fine.....

I am sure you have already done this.....but be sure and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ that will be developing soon...that first breath of air can make or break an entire spawn....

Then nutrition-limited HUFA(highly unsaturated fatty acid) during the first two weeks can be another mass die off cause......

Good luck and look forward to following your spawn log.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:09 PM   #29 
GreenTea

Thanks you two :)

OFL - I do have it tightly covered with saran wrap. For about how long should I age the new water? Will a few hours do or should it be overnight? It's conditioned with only prime. I always heard to leave the water alone for the first two weeks because adding new water could change the chemistry they are used to and do some damage. BettySplendens site said she had no issue with adding water, I was wondering what your experiences have been? And at your direction I had the sponge filter going for a few months previous to putting it in the fry tank.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #30 
Oldfishlady

The water should be safe to use since the Prime works on contact......I have always started changing water the day I start to add food, however, I also start with full to the top with water...but years ago when I spawned using the standard method-I would remove half gallon and add 1gallon back until full-then 50% daily sometimes twice daily-depending on the number of fry

The fry are small and have a low bioload and the stunting hormone is diluted fairly well in the first couple of weeks in that volume of water...but egg yolk is not and can foul the water fast-the snails will help this to a degree as will the plants....watch the fry and use your judgement on how you feel the water needs to be added and removed...more or less based on fry behavior, losses, growth and development...etc......

As far as chemistry changes and water changes...have your replacement water premixed....if you have tannins in the tank-add tannins to the replacement water for example......when you add the replacement water you are or should be doing it by drip or slow....1gal added over about 30-min-1hr for example....the first 2 weeks being most critical......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote