Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #31 
bettalover2033

The last picture is so adorable! I that picture! What plant is that, that they are obviously in love with? They all seem to like resting on them.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #32 
GreenTea

Ok thanks OFL - No more dead betta, although I just super siphoned the bottom scraping egg yolk off etc and removed about 1/2 gallon, will start adding water now even though it's 1 am - yikes!

To anyone wanting to breed - Do not underestimate the amount of work cleaning/replacing fry will be. I spend two hours carefully siphoning and still managed to suck out about 20 fry...They are super fast even at 7 days! Holy cow it's hard to catch them. I had to move my fry tank up to a higher place, it was close to ground and getting to them/seeing the tank/getting them back in quickly became obvious that it would not be feasable. I'm hoping the heater being off and a bit of current for a minute or two while I lifted the tank and moved things around didn't do any damage. Learning as I go I guess.. Even within the last hour I've gotten better at catching fry. They can't escape the turkey baster muahahhha >:)

But seriously, my arms are shaking and I'm super mentally and physically tired from this! I'm sure it'll get easier and it's totally worth it, but I definitely underestimated the mental focus and patience it would take and since it's not talked about much, I thought it's important to include that.

The fry seem healthy from what I have read, most are hanging near the top or swimming around.

Is there a way to get the yolk to stick to the top more? Some will float on the surface which is lovely but most goes to the bottom -_- I'm putting a drop in each area where they hang out which is basically each corner of the tank.

Bettalover if you're talking about the green leaves or lotus plant, they are both fake and pieces I pulled off of bigger decor (can be re-attached.) They also love hanging on the moss ball though, it's the hang out spot for about 10 of them! There are little noms on the moss ball now so I think that's why they like it.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #33 
GreenTea

Also some of these fry DO have orange eyes, it's very bizarre. One looks like it has yellow eyes. I'm wondering if it will change just like human baby eyes do or what's going on there. Interesting regardless.

Why can't they be big already so I can do a head count? XD
Old 11-29-2011, 04:54 AM   #34 
Gloria

I know exactly how you feel about the water changes. That has always been my biggest set back. It takes SO long :) You wound't think it but yeah it takes a LONG time. It's totally worth it but :)
I am so excited. Congrats on the fry being 7 days already.
Have you decided on how often you'll be doing updates?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 AM   #35 
GreenTea

Probably any time anyone has a question, I get some good photos, or I have something to add about the experience as a whole. At least weekly! Hopefully I won't have many questions left, but if I do I'll be posting them here as well. As you can see, it's 3:15 am where I live...

So my sleeping schedule is a bit off/non-existant ;)
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 AM   #36 
Tisia

lol, yeah, I spent a few hours laying on your floor staring at them, got a bit uncomfortable after a while
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #37 
bettalover2033

I think your experience with breeding and caring to the fry is very important for new breeders to read because they think that its hard, but when they start doing it, they notice it is nothing like they imagined. Not many breeder complain (online) I complain a lot and just didnt want to give my negative ideas of this online. Though when i'm at home and doing it, I am constanly complaining to my family. they are always telling me "well if yu dont want to do it, just stop." I look at them like they're aliens and they they say well stop complaining. So i learned to tone it down, but when i start to breed again and i get my pair, ill definitely be sure to include how much of it isn't a game.

Oh darn, Ithought it was a real plant. I think the "lilly pad" looking fake plant looks so nice in the tank and they seem to love it.

About the eyes, I was almost certaint that they had those color eyes becase im not sure if fish have "red eye" when you take pictures of them:P.

Everything seems to be going as planned so I say good job! Everything, besides the water changing part. I could spend hours watching them but when it came time to do water changes I felt as it was homework. Though i would rather do a million water changes than homework!

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #38 
Super Sly

Late getting to the thread, but congrats thats a really nice pair you have. I can't wait to see grown up pics of the fry I bet they're going to be very pretty.
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM   #39 
GreenTea

Thanks Super Sly, you're fashionably late! :)

One week old today! I added a lamp a few feet above the tank so they have more direct light and the fry seem to LOVE IT! They are zooming all over the place. No dead ones, they seem very healthy so I guess I'm doing something right so far... I am feeding them egg yolk every 8 hours or so, only adding more after cleaning the bottom and/or if tummies look empty, otherwise I just do it twice a day. I'll be switching to microworms in a few days when they get here :) Excited. I also have frozen bloodworms, bbs and pellets to crush up. Walter and banana worms should be coming and later on when they're bigger there's a fish store with live bs and black worms to feed them. Yummy yummy! I also removed two apple snails so now I have 2 in there instead of 4. Does anyone want a week 1 video? Now that they're bigger it appears I may have more than 50...This morning at wake up time I couldn't see any and fearing I'd added water too fast and killed them all. A few hours later there were at LEAST 30 hanging out around the lily pad and then I spotted the others in the moss and on the moss ball...They are pro at hiding.

How do you guys feed your microworms? Do you scrape and drop in or rinse them in tank water and then drop them in with a turkey baster like utensil?

Bettalover I wasn't really trying to complain, sorry if it came off that way. I just had totally underestimated how difficult maneuvering with the tiny fry would be and hadn't seen people talk about how it can be mentally challenging to focus for that long every day on top of daily life so I wanted to add it. I'm super happy to be doing the work, but just wanted to emphasize it IS work so don't forget that part! :)

And Tisia - They're on the top shelf now and starting to look more like fish, in my eyes they haven't grown at all but then I looked at the day one video I took and they seem big in comparison. Hoping to make it through week 2 successfully...

Last edited by GreenTea; 11-29-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #40 
purplemuffin

I'd love to see a video :) Congrats on 1 week old babies!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote