Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 12:38 AM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Another recorded Mystery Disease

Yes, another. My coworker. Her BLUE bettafish, she had gotten 3 weeks ago at the store. She had him in a 5 gallon, heated and filtered, cleaned once a week, gravel cleaned well. She added tap water conditioner ONLY, never used harmful cleaners, and fed him twice a day, about 6-8 pellets (shaker type). She noticed him going grey on the fins - when she told me I thought "oh hey fin rot" but the description of the "ash grey on his fins, which 3 days later fell apart and he died after it spread" matched perfectly my Maine's sickness.

The male was about the same age as Maine.. A few months younger, actually. About the same shade of pretty blue. She thought it was the cats fault, or that she wasn't taking care of him well enough - but I asked all the good questions, and she did perfectly for caring for her little guy! She felt really sad for her little guy... He lasted 3 days with this sickness - same as my boy (I put mine down, hers passed away). She felt very distraught - thinking she killed her fishy. So I told her of my fish, and connected it to how her fish was.

I definitely think there is a bad bad bad blue genetic gene floating around where I live! two in less than 2 months? No way. To make it worse, I got a "black male with silver fins" and he ended up being BLUE with red, silver, black and blue in his fins. So I have him heavily watched right now... If he came from the same breeder, the breeder could be unknowingly breeding the gene!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Don't worry too much about the boy you have now :) My Venom was in this Mystery Disease group, and I have his spawn sibling here :) Hughie's been doing great. Sorry to hear about your Betta and hers though :( We really need to get someone to figure out what this mystery disease is and why it effects blue bettas :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Yeah we do :( however the coincidence that it is from the same breeder... even if being half siblings, the breeder had the parents - who either had the dormant or live version of the disease. But, of course not much to go on >< kind of sucks.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #4 
inkrealm

yikes... thankyou for sharing this with us... I'm sorry for your friend's fish as well as yours and Pitluvs's.... I have a blue boy myself and am always afraid of this....
I wonder myself if it may be a petstore breeder.... afterall what do they have to gain from responsible breeding? :/ this is very bizarre though.... and horrible... :/
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #5 
Luimeril

Cup was a blue, King Steve is a blue..... i don't think it has anything to do with the color of the fish, but it's not impossible. don't freak out over your new boy being blue, imo. just care for him like normal.

as for your coworker's boy, i'm sorry he passed. D:
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Well the cases we found were different shades of blue..: since Maine I wanted no blue bettas again ever... And got one -.- accidentally. Which of course'll make me worry... Even though he has like 1% chance of getting. But yeah makes me wonder if they'd figure out breeding the line they did, that there was a bad gene... Couldve told the petstore but doesnt matter stores are in it for money. Except many people here go elswhere for fish now since the employee sucks and obviously the suppliers of certain fish are no better ;(

Makes me sad to see what fish breeding has become...