Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 01:04 AM   #1 
laughing

Trying to be selfless... BUT $$!

Long story short... My mom & I got this kitten waaay back when, I think it's been 6 years now, when he was only 10 weeks old. I picked him out, she took ownership, and it's been history. He's like her baby, and he has only ever liked her. Last year (October) we moved into an apartment, and couldn't take him with us. We gave him to a family friend, but he is NOT doing well, and on numerous occasions he was dubbed "dead" or "gone". They have kicked him outside where there are coyotes and such when he's declawed in all 4 paws!!

I want to get him back for her. I'm moving out soon and I feel she needs a friend. He's too awesome of a cat (in his own little way...) to be left for dead, either. He's our responsibility, ya know? And he'd be euthanized immediately in the shelter. Christmas is soon, and her b-day is in April, so I thought I'd combine them.

Thing is, it's a $400 pet deposit for cats!! Then the supplies and such... It'd be $500! It's only $20 a month after that, though.

Should I do it, or not? I would love to, but that's a LOT of money. A LOT. That's my apartment deposit and security payment... I just don't know what to do. I'm 100% torn.

What do you all of you suggest?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:21 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's a tough decision. I can understand wanting him back if the people aren't taking care of him properly. If you feel like you can swing it financially and really want him back then do it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #3 
laughing

I'm not quite sure at this point if I CAN do it financially...

Pros;
-She talks about him all the time, and misses him terribly, so it'd be the best gift to her ever; I know she'd be very appreciative as well. (She doesn't have the money.)
-I'd be saving him from a bad situation and basically death since no one else has wanted to take him, and no shelters.
-My mom would have a companion once I'm gone.

Cons;
-$$$... Expensive up front, then $20 a month from now on...
-Cat hair everywhere again.
-I'd have to transport my fish into a "safe" room so he cannot get at them.
-Litter box/ hair ball clean ups....

The pros are so strong, and the cons are weak, except that huge thing of the money. That's why I'm SO stuck. I cannot figure out what to do at all.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #4 
kathstew

What supplies would you need? Couldn't the previous owners provide the supplies they would no longer need, such as litter box, leftover litter, cat food etc?

To lower prices you could also go to second hand shops and get some of the supplies cheap, if you can't get the supplies from the other owners. Like I see tons of cat carriers, litter boxes etc at good will, value village etc. And places like cash converters always have good stuff fairly cheap.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #5 
laughing

We gave them our two cats. The female is the BEST cat I have ever known in my life. They absolutely love her. He's a typical cat... slow to warm up, doesn't like new things, etc. They claim he does things out of vengence as well. So they've thrown him outside and have kept her inside. Therefore all the supplies are for her as well... Can't take supplies back unless we take both kitties back!

I'm expecting 100$ for food, litter box, litter, liners, food dishes, carrier, toys, treats, grooming supplies (brush, de-shedder), and a container to hold the food. It'll be outside so you can't leave an opened bag or all sorts of critters will be in it! I know a lot of these I can get on discount or cheap. For example, all the time at thrift stores I see carriers for like $10 instead of $50 brand new. I have also found some litter boxes at pet stores for $5. We buy the storage container at Home Depot for about $7-$10 I think. For a bag of food $25... So for those 3 things is about $50.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #6 
Salamandair

Making a choice like that is very tough. On one hand, you want to save the cat that is being mistreated and that your mom has loved for a very long time. On the other hand, It's very hard financially. I'm a cat lover too, so I feel the pain!

For the money (as far as deposit and such), is there any way you could save up some money for it, such as taking a small portion from your paycheck or whatever job you may have? It may take a little bit, but it's better than trying to gather up all the $400 at once, which is hard.

For supplies and such, What I suggest is just getting the basics right now (food, litter box, litter, food, carrier and one or two grooming supplies) and then get the rest at a later date, such as treats, toys, etc. While it would be nice to get everything all at once and getting everything from discount or secondhand stores is good, sometimes you just can't swing it. That's what I had to do with the kittens I have now. We took them in so suddenly, we couldn't afford anything but the basics and we're still in the process of upgrading them on some things.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck! I think it's a sweet thing that you're doing :) I'll be watching this thread closely and cheering you on!
Salamandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #7 
Jessiefish

Do you have any siblings, relatives or close family friends that could go in on the pet deposit (at least) with you as a Christmas/bday present for your mom? That's what I try to do with big gifts.

How well do you know your landlords? Would it be possible to explain the situation and maybe work out a payment plan for the pet deposit?
Jessiefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:01 AM   #8 
purplemuffin

Yeah, a big split could help, even if just everyone chipped in 10 dollars!

And the bunch of toys are definitely something that can wait..I know my cats never play with the toys we buy them anyway, lol, but a crumpled piece of paper will be entertaining for hours~!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

Personally, I would do it.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #10 
laughing

I don't have any siblings. Well, I do, but he lives with my dad and doesn't want anything to do with my mom. Our family unfortunately isn't very supportive and my mom is the 'black sheep' so no to that as well.

Toys are only like 5$ anyways! Very cheap. The play mice are 50 cents! Those are his favorite. He likes to bat them under things live the oven though...

Well I asked my boyfriend last night what he thinks I should do and he says as long as that's what she wants then it's a good idea. He then surprised me and said he'd pay 100$ of the deposit! I was so surprised! He says it'll be his birthday gift to her, so we'll be plotting together.

Now I only have to pay 300$. I budgeted, and I can definitely make it even before her birthday. I wanted to wait til her birthday itself and put a bow around his neck then let him wake her up, but I figured he's in a dangerous situation and needs removal ASAP. So as soon as I have it I will get him! Maybe I will have it for Valentines day so it's still a 'special' day. I will still probably let him up, then have a card there for her, too.

After reading all of your comments and talking to some people close to me I want to do it. If I don't and something happens to him I'll be haunted my whole life. At this point it isn't just a present... it's a moral and ethically responsibility. Once you have an animal, it's a life long commitment you know?

Does anyone have some savings idea for items??