two sick fish!

Midas

Housing

What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? three other males divided, so four total

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Grow pellets, and bloodworms (frozen)
How often do you feed your betta fish? daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30 - 50 depending on how dirty it is
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no, ran out of test strips >.<

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? n/a
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is not swimming, sitting at the surface with his lips poking out and gasping for breath, clamped as well.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? just now when i got home from work
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1tsp./gallon of AQ salt, have him cupped and floating in his section.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no

Tootie

Housing

What size is your tank? 30 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 11 other females, and four kuhli loaches

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Grow pellets, bloodworms (frozen)
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
same as above >.<
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Stress stripes, pale, very clamped, long stringy white poo
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? trouble swimming, lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? when i got home from work just now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? cupped in 1tsp./gallon epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no

Please help me!! I dont want to lose them!

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 11-28-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #2 
Gizmothefreaky

hello? Come on, i am super worried!

Am i doing the right thing? Should i get some medication other than the salts? Any idea what they have? please! im kinda desperate here!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:34 AM   #3 
earthworm88

Hi,
At a quick glance of your sticky, your Midas should be on Epsom salt too, not AQ salt cuz looks like he has a negative buoyancy (SBD). Do they still eat like normal? And all the other tank mates are acting normal?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 AM   #4 
Gizmothefreaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Hi,
At a quick glance of your sticky, your Midas should be on Epsom salt too, not AQ salt cuz looks like he has a negative buoyancy (SBD). Do they still eat like normal? And all the other tank mates are acting normal?
i am not sure about Tootie, as i feed the sorority as a whole, and didnt notice until after feedig that she didnt look well. all the other females that were out at that moment looked fine, fat, and happy.

But Midas completely ignored some bloodworms that i put in for him. He ate normally this morning though. His tank mates are looking good too. all eating normally.

also, i meant to say i feed the males 2x daily as well. morning and night.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #5 
earthworm88

ok. You did well by separating them from the rest. They only thing you can do now is continue to change the water daily and to observe for further changes. I am concerned about Tootie's white stringy poo, she does look really stressed and clamped. I would suggest continue monitoring for now. If I can suggest to have something bigger than a cup to float in the tank by clipping it to the side to keep it from topping over. The fact that Tootie is from such a big tank, to be back in a cup can give her further stress than necessary.

Good luck. Hopefully others will chime in to give you more suggestions or advice.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:41 AM   #6 
Myates

Aww poor little ones..

If the female has long white stringy waste it is either a sign of absorbing eggs, or internal parasites. I am going for the parasites as she seems thin, and lethargic.

For her, I would combine Epsom Salt with an anti-parasite med is best. Treat with 1-2tsp/gal Epsom Salt combined with either Jungle’s Anti-Parasite Pellets, Jungle’s Parasite Clear Fizz tabs or API General Cure. Daily 100% water changes while being treated. Use directions on medication to determine the length of treatment- also would be easier to use a gallon water jug to pre-mix everything together to make changes easier.

As for the handsome boy.. could be a couple different things with those symptoms- gill/skin flukes causes gasping rapidly at surface.. but is there mucus on his gill covering?
Ammonia poisoning..

When you did the last water change, how much and did you acclimate him to the new water any? Was the temp of the new water the same as the old?

I wish I could say for sure what is causing it for him- the only thing I can say is just keep him in clean water- daily 50-100% water changes with water conditioner is the best until there is a known cause/illness.. by known I mean, until you know what it is and how to help. I'm sorry :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #7 
Gizmothefreaky

Midas had passed away by the time i woke up this morning... I was hoping he wouldnt, but i could tell he had given up... ;-;

Tootie is still the same as she was yesterday, i dont have access to medications, just epsom salt and aq salt as i am completely broke for another two weeks. Blame Black Friday... >.> She isnt eating at all though, not even bloodworms, which is their favorite treat... And i am fairly worred for her.