Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 AM   #1 
Belated

Cool down tank?

My betta's tank is at around 85F at the moment - what is the best way to cool it down? I was thinking a 50% water change?

Also, I live in Australia, and we're just heading into summer - what's the best way to avoid this sort of thing in hot weather? We don't have air con. :\
Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

I would put a table fan to blow at the tank and keep the top open so the cool air from the fan can get in .. this usually cools 1 deg per hr .. just monitor this for a few days till your sure of how cool it will get in the tank

doing a 50% change with cooler water might drastically drop the temp too fast and could shock bettas
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:32 AM   #3 
Belated

Thanks. I ended up doing a slow 25% change with slightly cooler (82) water (I poured in the water in parts over about an hour), and have now rigged up a small desk fan. I flipped the lid of his tank around so that the open part is at the front, and the fan blows in there. He's stayed at a nice 80-81 all day like that, and if it does get hotter I'll take the top off altogether. If worst comes to worst, I'll move him to another room, but that's a pain in the butt given the size of his tank. For now he's happy. :)

I found one site that suggested filling a ziplock bag with cool/cold water, and floating that in the tank - would that be acceptable, if the weather gets drastically hotter? (Or would it even make much of a difference?)
Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #4 
HatsuneMiku

the ziplock bag and cold water works for short term .. like 1 hr or 2 .. you'll have to keep changing out the cold water in the bag for it to keep cooling .. you could also add ice cubes into the water bag too .. but you'll have to keep adding ice as it melts and changing the water in the bag .. it's not like the fan method where u can just leave the fan there all day and night

if you use the bag method i suggest putting the bag in the filter (if you have one) so that the bag doesn't float around .. or clip it to the side .. or use the lid to hold the bag in place =)
Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 AM   #5 
Belated

Good to know, thank you. :) The fan setup seems to be working great for now, anyway.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #6 
HatsuneMiku

^_^ good to hear that it's working out well !!