Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Lol yeah I knew Marge was next in line for alpha once Madame passed away. And I was right x.x sometimes you can just tell... usually the female with the brightest colors would be alpha - but not always. It's a hit and miss
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

Right now the lowest on the totem pole is chasing everybody away from the cambodian head statue. SHe's not gonnabe happy when i rearrange stuff and add the giant girl back. I can't physically see anything wrong with her, I think I am just being paranoid since my one girl just died of columnaris and I am paranoid they are all gonna get it. The meds for that are not sold anywhere here.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Ugh I know right? I had to order in a whole bunch of stuff, I now have two kinds - no three, including Maracyn 2, for internal and external problems, then I have ich meds, then then then x.x all ordered in. But they never seem to come in when I need it the most... lol.

one of my molly babies got mouth fungus. I dunno what it's even from.... other than balloon mollies are susceptible. But anyways, I pulled him out and I did end up euthanising him since I had no meds at the time. All I did was a 50% water change, and since then everyone is okay :) That's all I'd recommend lol.
Same with if one betta girl passes away.. do a water change. that also helps with reintroducing new ones, or getting them to establish dominance.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #14 
Tikibirds

I've actually been doing frequent water changes since I added a filter to the 20g about 3 weeks ago and the ammonia levels have been steady at 1.0 but finally dropped back to .25 (i have ammonia in my tap). I need to pick up a nitrate test kit

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-30-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Ahh ok :) It'll be good to cycle the tank for sure :p How many gals do you have in your 20? I've only got 4, and may be adding 2 more around next week.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #16 
mjoy79

Is it bad that I can't tell who my alpha is? I suspect it MAY be Sun right now since she has very few nips on her) and she is the most colorful girl. But they all seem to get along equally from what I can tell. Little chasing but its heavily planted so not too much :) I've had this sorority going since mid-August and nothing major has happened with them. I hope its because I'm doing something right and not luck! BTW I picked them all out seperately at Petco. They are all unrelated (from what I can tell).
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Lol sometimes it is hard to figure out the totem pole... It took me a while to understand my girls. Now I finally know! It was: Madame, Marge, Zebra, Tina, Rose. Rose'll always be the submissive lowest on the pole girl. But I never knew it when I had gotten them lol.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:32 AM   #18 
Edifiler

Well lets hope that lady luck is on my side and i get a bunch of gentle yet thorough lovers :P
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:24 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Oh I know right :p
Old 12-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #20 
Silverfang

It's always been Raven for me, She's the biggest, and super eggy. But I had to take her out for a few days, just letting her heal up a little bit. My other girl got a bit over eager since then. The easiest way for me to see who is alpha, is who is sleeping in the dragons mouth ornament, that is the prime real estate.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote