Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #11 
kfryman

Quote:
For 2.5 gallon and larger tanks: If your aquarium is cycled, you should change 10% of the water twice a week or 25% of the water once a week.
It was taking from the admins post on betta care.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #12 
inkrealm

If your aquarium is cycled, <----
it's impossible to cycle a 2.5 ^-^;

the stress coat+ from API is technically a conditioner, yes... I've never used it alone, I've always used Prime with it to be safe... plus Prime changes some of the stuff in the water to more beneficial things ( I'll see if I can get the exact "things" listed if you want x3; ).... not to mention Prime lasts much longer... but if you were really set on only using the Stress Coat+ Conditioner, yeah I guess you could ^-^; you're not adding in aquarium salt by any chance are you? I know some people tell you to use it as a regular additive and that can damage them internally.... but I didn't see it on your list so probably not >^< just wanted to make sure....
no bloat then?
is there anything unusual in your water you know of? do you get it from the city line? and you don't live on a college campus do you? I know their water can be scary in some places o.o; my brother's totaled an expensive coffee maker.. I'd be terrified to give it to my fish...

from the Prime bottle if you want to check it out...
"Prime is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh water and salt water... Prime removes Chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia. ( though you still need water changes ) Prime converts ammonia into a safer, non-toxic form." it helps with nitrates, nitrites, and helps promote slime coat, which is excellent for your fish... you can ask around on here if you like in another board... everyone uses it and loves it ^-^

the smallest tank advised for cycling is a 5 gallon, and it's best to cycle it before adding in your fish, as an unstable cycle can be fatal. :/

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-28-2011 at 07:42 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:35 PM   #13 
kfryman

Nope, maybe I will try a small water change 50% since the tank is small and see if it helps. I think that he may also be stressed. Not quite sure so I darkened the tank just as a precautionary step until I finish my homework. I will try and do the water change tonight though. I will tell you if it helps.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #14 
inkrealm

alright... hope it does.... sorry he isn't feeling well :( if you leave him in, try not to cause too much of a current and make sure the new and old water temps are similar...
bettas hate currents... you might check that on the filter too and look into a baffle if there's much of one... it's easy to make a baffle homemade and you probably already have something around you could use ^-^ plastic plants work great and look nice aesthetically, safe sponges and water bottles work as well :3
Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #15 
Myates

Don't worry about the 1 50% and 1 100% per week- that is for unfiltered tanks under 5 gals.. for a filtered 2.5 you would want to be doing 30-50% per week, with regular siphoning of the gravel- as the filter will hide the waste, but not eliminate it and instead just keep cycling it throughout the tank. Ammonia builds up in the water, not on the sides and decor.. there is a thing called "too clean" and with a filtered tank, you don't need to do a 100% as long as you do the weekly regular changes and siphoning of the gravel- but a monthly 100% won't kill him.. just have to be mindful that beneficial bacteria will grow and needs to be constant, why doing weekly 100%s in a filtered tank isn't ideal.

The red streaks on and around his gills seem to point to ammonia poisoning..
The white belly is most likely due to him being stressed right now- normally a white belly comes along with being full from food, but he doesn't seem to be extended as much.
The last picture there seems to be red above his right eye.. is there scales there or have they been scraped off?
When he swims, does he swim normal, or does he have trouble staying upright?
What plants do you have in the tank that are live?
Is the conditioner new with him?

Right now I'm going with ammonia poisoning, which there really isn't much, if anything, you can do. For now I would do 25-50% daily water changes for the next few days, dosing the tank for the full amount for the volume of water conditioner.
Unfortunately, we do end up with sick fish and sometimes there isn't much we can do. There is no medication to reverse ammonia poisoning, just clean water and keep him warm and comfortable. I wish I had better/good news for you :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #16 
kfryman

I am gonna buy new conditioner just in case the one I have is expired I have no idea if it is because the label is ripped
Old 11-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #17 
Myates

Conditioners can last a while, but it's always good to replace every year. You can use stress coat as your main conditioner if you wish to save you money. Keep us updated.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #18 
kfryman

Thank you he had the red streaks when I got him so it is probably poisoning from being in the cup. And he swims fine. Could he be sick because i also added some plant nutrient stuff, he may not be used to it or something because Faron gets the same stuff and he is still swimming or should I say jumping on his own :). I will just keep on doing water changes everyday. Also how do you clean the gravel without taking it all out?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #19 
inkrealm

thanks Myates :3

kfryman-

not sure for 2.5's.... in most tanks that don't need a 100 you use a gravel siphon though.... ( just make sure your fish isn't too curious with it ) I think you can get one relatively cheap?... I use a turkey baster that I bought just for that.... but I don't have much gravel either x:

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-28-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #20 
Myates

Welcome!

Unsure about the plant nutrients- how did you acclimate him to it? Or did you just dump it in with him? If you are using it with another, then it's safe- he may of not adjusted to it properly.. but if he had the streaks when you got him, most likely he was already sick.

You can buy a small siphon at most Petsmart/cos, just have to be careful not to take out too much water as sometimes they are fast. I haven't used a small one myself, as my bettas are in unfiltered tanks, and I have always used a big siphon for other tanks that don't hold bettas.

Turkey baster probably works good too, depending upon how much soil you have.. and may actually be better for you, as with live plants you don't want to take out too much.. so once a month or so is all that will be needed. (Sorry, I hadn't confirmed you had live plants when I mentioned regular siphoning, but now I know I recommend once a month, if that, of siphoning as long as you have live plants. The plants will use the waste as fertilizer.)