Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #21 
kfryman

Ok I got kordon novaaqua plus water conditioner.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:18 PM   #22 
kfryman

Just changed 50% of his water fines are still very close together. I am acclimating him now. So how long does it take to get rid of ammonia poisoning? I want to get a 10 gallon, my lps has a kit for $40 ( I got ripped off $40 for the 2.5 at petco) I want it for christmas And then have him and a gal share it, divided of course, but I want him to get better first.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #23 
inkrealm

I don't think there's an x amount for ammonia poisoning... it's pretty much just good clean water and patience and close watch... keeping the tank nice and warm, good nutrients, etc..... hopefully he'll perk up soon though :3 and I'm sure he would enjoy the ten gallon :3
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:06 PM   #24 
kfryman

Yeah his fins are closed so i don't know what that means but when I put him back in he swam around but now he is in his favorite spot the top by a plant leaf. Oh well... time will just tell I guess. Should I keep the light on or minimize the amount of time the light is on?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 PM   #25 
inkrealm

I think you mean clamped, ^-^ it's usually a sign of stress, illness, or cold. in your case I'd say stress from the ammonia poisoning. that should get better with time. ^-^ what time is it there? I usually leave mine on from ten AM to seven or eight PM... they sleep the same as we do usually, so he'll probably like the light ( daylight ) during the day, and he'll need it off for night ofcourse. and sleep. that being said, since you have a planted tank, you'll need to check how much light and how direct they like too or you'll kill them...

the plant guide here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
might help with that :3 they may only care for six hours or so. also watch for black algae, which may form in plants like moneywort if they receive too much light.
if you post in the habitat board you might be able to get tips on caring for your plants ^-^

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-28-2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #26 
kfryman

Well right now it is 8:51. And yes I did mean clamped. I have to turn the light on before I go to school so around 7:00 am that way I can make sure I feed my fish or else no one else will lol.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:07 AM   #27 
inkrealm

lol, yeah I'm teaching myself this year so he just gets a late morning and deals with it x3; but that should be fine :3 if it's eight I'd turn it off~
consider yourself lucky, my family members sneak him food even though I explain it's bad for his health |:
Old 11-29-2011, 01:31 AM   #28 
kfryman

Well thank you for offering help. Should I put a towel around the tank so he doesn't see people going by I heard this can stress them out. Day time only with the light still on or no
Old 11-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #29 
Myates

Light off at night... natural or hood light during day.. you can place a towel over him at night.

Sadly, normally with ammonia poisoning a lot don't make it. I am not saying he has it for sure, just that he has the symptoms of it. It won't be right away for him to be a 100%, could take a few days or a week...
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #30 
kfryman

Thank you myates.