Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #1 
zepherina

my lil girls fins D:

so i woke up and my one girl has all these lil pin needle holes in her fins! when i went to bed her fins were fine! shes with two other girls, and no one bothers each other o_O i put two new plants in their tank and theres lil pokey lookin things in the middle and idk if thats what hurt her fins or what! should i seperate her and put her in the bowl and treat the water or is it fine to treat the water with the other girls in it? there all in a small tank right now till i get a 10g which should be VERY soon. but im always keeping an eye on them making sure no one is biting or bullying, and no one does any of those things, they dont flare at each other, and they dont bully over the little house, so i think i got lucky with civil girls. o_O

luckily im always taking pictures of them, so i have before and after, and its even more ironic that its the nights apart!

before

after

and this is the new plant in the tank, i got two of em.

could it be the plant? should i remove them and buy new ones? ;[ what should i get for her fins to treat it? is it fin rot? is that contagious?! ugh.
zepherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need some more information...tank size, how much and how often on the water changes, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, appetite, how many tank mates, how long have you had her and has she been sick and/or treated for anything in the past month.....any other symptoms besides the fin damage and clamped...like flashing, lethargic, going off food...etc.....

Right now I would get her in QT....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #3 
zepherina

Housing
What size is your tank? 2g
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yea
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? two other girls.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? aqueon betta food
How often do you feed your betta fish? i pebble in mornig, two at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 & 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? n/a

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? n/a

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? her fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? no
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? n/a
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, i just bought her last tuesday
How old is your fish (approximately)? no idea.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since you don't list a dechlorinator...tell us about your source water....well water, R/O, tap water etc....and if tap water does it go through any type of home filtration system (not recommended)...

Have you made any water changes since you got her and did you get all the girls the same day and they look fine....correct.....
Old 11-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #5 
zepherina

i use well water, my boy and the two other girls are in well water aswell and their all fine, i got all the girls the same day, and i picked the healthiest looking ones they had still. and she has been fine up untill this morning, she was fine lastnight. and she dosent seem like anything is bugging her now, but she has holes in her fins. and they dont look like bit marks
Old 11-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I use well water too...I call mine magic water....lol....even though it is really hard and with a high pH....the Bettas do great in it....anyway.....

I would get her in QT and start aquarium salt 2tsp/gal and tannins along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days...

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of well water-add the salt and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf...I use Oak leaves from my Oak trees in my yard (pesticide free) naturally dried and fallen from the tree-12-18 crushed per gallon of treatment water...let this premixed water steep for 30min-shake well before use and use this water for 50% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today....

Tomorrow start 100% water changes with this premixed treatment water for the next 10 days...be sure the water temp between the premixed Tx water and the Betta in QT water is pretty close in temp to prevent temp shock-you can do a couple of back to back 50% if needed...the premixed treatment water should look darker every day as the tannins are released.

Good nutrition-a good quality varied diet-fed in small frequent meals

You may want to float the QT in a heated tank to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range-be sure and attach it to the side so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter

I would also start some 50% daily water changes on the 2gal with the other Bettas until you get the 10gal for them......
Old 11-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #7 
Luimeril

she could have been nipped at by her sisters..... i don't know of ANYTHING that could do that to her fins otherwise. o.0
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #8 
zepherina

theres oak trees all around me but i dont know which ones which o_o and its been raining all day so everything is wet D: and im broke untill friday so i cant go buy things, but i did put her in a bowl with a few floating lil plants (fake) so she had something to look at. ;/
Old 11-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #9 
GreenTea

It could also be this http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76747

Although it's more likely being in such a small space with other bettas caused her to be attacked. When you have 3 females, oftentimes 2 girls will gang up on one of the other ones. Even if they got along before, dynamics with bettas change. For your fishes sake I hope she was just bitten. Good luck, I hope she recovers.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

IMO-its ammonia damage and she is stressed more than the other females and this compromises the immune response making her more apt to problems.....

You can use kosher salt, pickling salt or regular salt that doesn't have the anti-caking ingredients...the amount of iodine is not harmful and can even be helpful in some cases....but the anti-caking ingredients can be toxic.....

Do you know how to tell which trees are Oak?