Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #1 
emeraldsky

King Bettas

I saw a couple of them at petco when I went yesterday and they looked neat, although a bit dull colored (Probably from the stress of those tiny cups)

Does anyone know how big they can get?

Im leaning towards getting 1 for my 29 gallon since I only want one center fish in it and bettas are generally pretty fabulous ;)
The 20$ proce tag is a bit much though x.x

Id want this betta to be fairly large though, dont want him looking lost in there XD
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #2 
mjoy79

the king betta I got for my mom was only $14. Are you sure it wasn't a Giant HMPK? I got my giant HMPK at Petco for about $20. He's pretty big. I haven't measured him but he looks to be at least 3 in. Here he is next to the king I got for my mom
Attached Images

mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 
emeraldsky

Thats pretty impressive :O

Im still debating between having a betta with a small school of something or having 2 goldfish in my tank. Leaning towards the goldfish since I have 17 bettas already but the kings are so prettyyyyyy
Old 11-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

I would recommend the betta, though it also happens to be my dream fish... lol. I don't really like goldfish too much, but if you do get them, keep in mind that the 29 gallon won't be big enough in the long run...
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #5 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I would recommend the betta, though it also happens to be my dream fish... lol. I don't really like goldfish too much, but if you do get them, keep in mind that the 29 gallon won't be big enough in the long run...

Im really tempted to get the betta, Id want a school of neon tetras with him though and those are hit and miss with them x.x

Ive been researching Ryukins specifically, they dont get as big as most goldfish and stay only about 6-7 inches and 2 can live in a 29g happily ^^

Im worried about the filthiness though XD
Its the one thing thats keeping me on the fence.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
Im really tempted to get the betta, Id want a school of neon tetras with him though and those are hit and miss with them x.x

Ive been researching Ryukins specifically, they dont get as big as most goldfish and stay only about 6-7 inches and 2 can live in a 29g happily ^^

Im worried about the filthiness though XD
Its the one thing thats keeping me on the fence.
I was just going to say how dirty they are. lol. You would need an amazing filter or very frequent water changes. To much work for me. lol.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:57 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoy79 View Post
the king betta I got for my mom was only $14. Are you sure it wasn't a Giant HMPK? I got my giant HMPK at Petco for about $20. He's pretty big. I haven't measured him but he looks to be at least 3 in. Here he is next to the king I got for my mom

Holy crap, thats a HUGE betta.. Thats awesomely scary!
I want one.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #8 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

A 29 gal would be the smallest tank a ryukin could stay in. I have 1 ryukin along with a veiltail in a 55 gal (I want to get an oranda, too). I'm baised, tho, because I love ryukins, so I would say get the goldfish. ^-^

As for the messyness, it can be helped with the right plants and large water changes. Planting stuff like hornwort, duckweed, anacharis, and water sprite that are all nitrate-zappers do wonders for the nitrate. You'll still need weekly 25%-40% water changes, tho.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #9 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I was just going to say how dirty they are. lol. You would need an amazing filter or very frequent water changes. To much work for me. lol.
Ive got double filtration, one of them being for a 45 gallon ;)
And I like them enough that Im willing to put in the work

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta View Post
Holy crap, thats a HUGE betta.. Thats awesomely scary!
I want one.
I KNOW
Theyre so pretty *A*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
A 29 gal would be the smallest tank a ryukin could stay in. I have 1 ryukin along with a veiltail in a 55 gal (I want to get an oranda, too). I'm baised, tho, because I love ryukins, so I would say get the goldfish. ^-^

As for the messyness, it can be helped with the right plants and large water changes. Planting stuff like hornwort, duckweed, anacharis, and water sprite that are all nitrate-zappers do wonders for the nitrate. You'll still need weekly 25%-40% water changes, tho.
I definitely plan on getting some plants, especially since they can work as a snack for the goldfish as well. Im really loving Ryukins as well, when I was younger I had a bunch of feeder fish in a 20 gallon so im looking forward to doing things right this time ^^
Old 11-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #10 
mjoy79

One more thing about my giant guy, Hurley. He's so much fun! He is more aggressive than any of my other fish. He's got a 10G all to himself and he loves it. He occasionally will blow small bubble nests. But he mostly just patrols his tank. He gets lots of exercise. He will nibble at my finger and it doesn't hurt at all. He has a huge face LOL. I hope i have him for a long time to come! I just wish I knew how old he was. Dont know if he'll get any bigger or if he's already fully grown.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
king betta