Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #1 
Neutron

Female tank

I want to get 5 female bettas for my 10 gallon tank. My question is:

The pet stores around me don't sell females that have been in a tank together. They sell them like males in small cups. Is this going to be a problem when I try and introduce them? Should I even try?

The tank has quite a few live plants and decorations but there is also a lot of swimming area. Should I try and make more hiding spots?

EDIT: I also have 2 emerald corycats that are getting picked on in my other tank..(yes I know they need a bigger group).. would they be suitable tank makes for female bettas? I've researched it online but would like more first hand experience on this one.

Last edited by Neutron; 11-29-2011 at 01:42 PM.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

With a sorority, you always need a back-up plan. Even with females that come in the same group, sometimes they just don't get along and need to be separated. So with a 10 gallon, you could always split it 4 ways if that happens (if there are no other fish), and then you would just need one extra tank for the 5th female. On the other hand, you might have 4 females that get along and just one super aggressive female. Then you would simply need an extra tank for her.
Sometimes "girls" turn out to be boys. So you also need to be prepared for that scenario.

The more hiding spots the better. Think 1 plant (fake. live depends on the species) per girl, plus one. Then 1 hiding spot per girl, plus one. The more tall plants you have the better, since they are surface dwelling fish. If you have fewer hiding spots (or none), double the plant number. If you have live, plant now and wait at least a month so you get some growth.

As for the corycats... If you want to add them, you need more (which you know), but if you want a sorority, you can't even add the ones you have or you would be overstocked. So I would recommend you just get one female, and then 3 more corycats. It would be a very peaceful little tank. You could even add some ghost or cherry shrimp since they don't do anything notable to the bioload.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #3 
Brian10962001

My first sorority had three members, one was a double tail who turned out to be a big bully, the other was a VT and the third a crown tail. It didn't work out well at all, on day 3 the DT had my CT girl doing nothing but hiding and a big chunk was out of her fin. The VT only had small tears but they both CONSTANTLY went back and forth. I pulled the DT and had an awful experience with columnaris that I just NOW think I finally got rid of.

The next go round I went a different route. I pulled all fake plants etc. from the tank, scoured it, removed all lime, replaced the gravel, and started bare with just a couple broken pots. I purchased 6 females for $6 at Petsmart. I floated all of the cups in the 10 gallon bare for a week, placed some plants in the tank (especially floating plants) and released them. They've been doing good since. I have one girl who's clearly the alpha, she's taken a chunk out of some of the girls fins a few times but it's never gone into the bullying where they hide and everything has healed up. I even re structured the tank twice now, once due to melting Anacharis, and once because I purchased new plants. Things have stayed pretty normal. The girls have such big personalities, and will go CRAZY at feeding time weaving through (and over) the plants to get their pellets. Also blood worms will make them go wild, you can actually hear them snap the worms.

Below is how the sorority stands now. It's just the 6 females and live plants. I treat it with Flourish Excel, run a baffled Aqua tech 5 - 15 filter, Petsmart heater, and a pair of 12 watt fluorescents in the incan style hood.

Last edited by Brian10962001; 11-30-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:53 PM   #4 
Neutron

Thanks for the pointers!

GOOD NEWS, a LFS about a 1/2 hour away has a tank full of females! Most are cambodians... so beautiful. Their fins are such a bright red they almost look pink. They have been in the tank together since birth and the store said they have never had people come back to say the females didn't work together.

I bought some a Amazon Sword today to add some hiding spots at the top of the tank and rearranged my tank to make some more hiding spots. Tomorrow I am going to go out and get 5 of them and put them in with my cories. I have a friend who may be able to take the cories but if not they seem to be healthy and happy so I will wait until I set up my larger tank. They aren't too big yet and I've very adamant about water testing/changes so everything will be good! I'll post some pics of my tank soon.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #5 
Anitax3x

I'm not sure but 5 females and a couple of cories is kind of overstocked? I mean the cories need minimum of 4 in a group, and you already have 5 girls going in, even if you up the filtration, you might have a problem because of the girls being squished together. That can take docile girls and make them aggressive.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #6 
Anitax3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
With a sorority, you always need a back-up plan. Even with females that come in the same group, sometimes they just don't get along and need to be separated. So with a 10 gallon, you could always split it 4 ways if that happens (if there are no other fish), and then you would just need one extra tank for the 5th female. On the other hand, you might have 4 females that get along and just one super aggressive female. Then you would simply need an extra tank for her.
Sometimes "girls" turn out to be boys. So you also need to be prepared for that scenario.

The more hiding spots the better. Think 1 plant (fake. live depends on the species) per girl, plus one. Then 1 hiding spot per girl, plus one. The more tall plants you have the better, since they are surface dwelling fish. If you have fewer hiding spots (or none), double the plant number. If you have live, plant now and wait at least a month so you get some growth.

As for the corycats... If you want to add them, you need more (which you know), but if you want a sorority, you can't even add the ones you have or you would be overstocked. So I would recommend you just get one female, and then 3 more corycats. It would be a very peaceful little tank. You could even add some ghost or cherry shrimp since they don't do anything notable to the bioload.

+1 !
she beat me to it! lol And that female with the cories would be a great idea!I have also had a male in a 10 with cories and shrimp. Also a fun idea.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 AM   #7 
Brian10962001

Just wanted to add that I haven't had any fin nipping since I placed the "Bacopa monster" in the top of my tank! It's a big potted moneywort that I pulled the pot off of. They have to move around and through it to get to food and I notice a lot more of them exploring the bottom now. I think it really reduced some of the stress in the tank. I'm floating my crown tail girl in the tank now and none of them bother her. Before they would have been looming around the new fish to see what was going on.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #8 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian10962001 View Post
Just wanted to add that I haven't had any fin nipping since I placed the "Bacopa monster" in the top of my tank! It's a big potted moneywort that I pulled the pot off of. They have to move around and through it to get to food and I notice a lot more of them exploring the bottom now. I think it really reduced some of the stress in the tank. I'm floating my crown tail girl in the tank now and none of them bother her. Before they would have been looming around the new fish to see what was going on.
You should still rearrange the tank prior to letting the new girl in, and remove the other girls and place them all in together.. you are releasing her into an established tank with territories already set up. They may not attack right away, but once she tries to set up hierarchy or territory, it can easily cause trouble.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #9 
Thunderloon

Always six or more girls.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote