Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 AM   #1 
erinandares

Lightbulb My Christmas Project

So I want my project for Christmas to be switching over to live plants with my tanks. One is a twenty gallon and one is a ten. The twenty is divided into three sections, the ten is divided into two.

I have an idea of what I want it to look like. The plants would be low-moderate light plants. I'd like there to be a continuity in the tank that passes through the dividers. Like it looks like one tank and not two or three separate sections.

I want to have frogbit floating on top. I'll probably use java moss on various caves and this awesome square vase I have. I'm wondering about a good middle ground/ background plant... Planted or floating doesn't really matter. I'd probably be using sand as a substrate if they have to be planted. Maybe organic soil with a sand layer to top it off. Which of those two is better?

I'm sure I have more questions and I probably will as these ones get answered. I've been reading the plants sticky... Reading various other things online, too. I just want to get this down in game-plan format so I know how to spend my money when I actually set this in motion and I know how long it will take me to complete this. Thank you, everyone for all your advice beforehand!
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 AM   #2 
EvilVOG

i've been having an ongoing PM convo with Oldfishlady about her setup.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:35 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

The TFK main site has a forum devoted to plants. You'll probably get a better response there. It's where I ask all my plant questions. Here is the website in case you can't find it: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #4 
erinandares

I've been avoiding registering at TFK... Not really sure why, I just have... :/ I'll go creep around a little bit, though, I guess.

And I don't think I want to randomly PM someone I've never spoken to before. That seems weird. Lol. Somehow...
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 AM   #5 
EvilVOG

lol... i did. Anyway take a look at her thread for her 55 gallon, it's got some nice tips in it
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:44 AM   #6 
erinandares

I was reading through that the other day... I might have to go through it again, though. I'm reading the stickies on TFK right now, I'll probably get back to it after that. :o
Old 11-28-2011, 02:26 AM   #7 
RoyalBlueDarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinandares View Post

I have an idea of what I want it to look like. The plants would be low-moderate light plants. I'd like there to be a continuity in the tank that passes through the dividers. Like it looks like one tank and not two or three separate sections.

I want to have frogbit floating on top. I'll probably use java moss on various caves and this awesome square vase I have. I'm wondering about a good middle ground/ background plant... Planted or floating doesn't really matter. I'd probably be using sand as a substrate if they have to be planted. Maybe organic soil with a sand layer to top it off. Which of those two is better?
Hi, I've been reading about the Walstad method, and it's great if you know that you won't be moving plants around in the aquarium afterwards, otherwise the soil clouds the water.

Anubias is also excellent in low-moderate light conditions, and also strong enough that the betta can lounge on it for a bit if he/she wants to. :)
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:07 AM   #8 
erinandares

I really want to go the NPT route (had to look it up because I've never heard it called the Walstad method, lol). Bu-u-u-ut I'm joining the military so I don't want to do all that work just to have to redo my tank after basic and junk.... Not to mention when I move around... I don't know, I guess a tank can be drained enough to move but not to totally ruin what I had going... But the plants do need light. Argh, this is making me doubt my plans!! D8
Old 11-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #9 
RoyalBlueDarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinandares View Post
I really want to go the NPT route (had to look it up because I've never heard it called the Walstad method, lol). Bu-u-u-ut I'm joining the military so I don't want to do all that work just to have to redo my tank after basic and junk.... Not to mention when I move around... I don't know, I guess a tank can be drained enough to move but not to totally ruin what I had going... But the plants do need light. Argh, this is making me doubt my plans!! D8
Hmm. You could just stick with sand substrate, and have a mixture of live and silk plants. For the live ones, you could use moderate to low light ones that you can just chuck into the water and float without anchoring them down, like java fern and anubias. (That's what I've done with the plants in my 3.7 gallon. My CT betta freaked out initially when he saw the anubias floating. He swam around it, then under it, then bit it, and finally declared it safe. Now he sleeps in it ) That way, when you're ready, you can plant them.
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #10 
laughing

For sand I would recommend non rooting plants.

I have gravel, and I HATE it. I'm putting sand in. But all my plants (except my 2 recent additions, hornwort and java fern) are rooting plants. So I'm going to vacuum the gravel really well then put a layer of sand. It'll have to be a moderately thing layer, but will cover up the gravel completely, and the rooting plants will be happy still!! Maybe something you'll want to consider?
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote