Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #1 
Thunderloon

Petco "Baby Betta" Labeled Cups

I discussed with local second best petco fish person and he said that the datasheet that came with the light blue "baby betta" labled cups states that they are "too young to be identified at time of shipping" and "could be male OR female roundtail, veiltail and crowntail" Their purpose is to be bought as a first fish or as a baby fish to raise.

So I'm assuming that its likely more are female than male and more are veiltail than crown or round. I was able to identify a few from stress lines and clear male pattern gill covers, but the rest are actually hard to determine.

If this info could be made sticky/faq I'd appreciate it.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

First fish?!? A few experienced members have purchased them and had them pass. The way most people will keep them, they are almost guaranteed to die. :(

I would love to get one, but I don't have a spare heater right now. :(
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

I'm reserving judgement, this IS the supplier who thought they could make halfmoon kings... I'm tempted to go get the few I ID'd as girls and feed them up a little.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #4 
betta lover1507

what the heck is the matter with petco? they freakin desperate 0-0 that explains....uhh katrina =[ poor girl
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #5 
fishman12

Wow! So lame....
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #6 
Brian10962001

They're barely out of the fry stage, they could be anything. Take a look at them and you can see what I'm talking about. I know one was a PK, I could tell by the fins but he was probably just a bit older than the rest of them.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM   #7 
wwendy104

So so so sad if only they understood the issues. I have been having a very hard time keeping mine alive. I end up going home everyday at lunch to check on him and do water changes in the QT tank.

They really need to rethink this, its cruel. They are cute indeed but there is no way that these babies can live without proper care. I did have experience and still had to come here to get more because I had tried everything I knew. I think they are so stressed out from people poking at them and moving them that they just aren't making it even in proper care. Makes me sad!
wwendy104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

The thought behind this might be..longevity....since Bettas are short lived to start...if you look at all the other species they sell...they are juvies/fry too or at least most are since some of them can get well over 2 feet and you buy them at 1 inch...lol......even most of the Neon are half grown...they get well into the 2 inch range as adults......anyway....

The lines on them doesn't always mean the young Betta is a female...young males can have them too...a lot of my dark body males will keep this camouflage line until they are about 3 months old and sometimes longer it varies.....just like the stripes don't always mean stress...its a form of communication and camouflage.....besides the ovoipositor which is still not the best way to tell sex since some young males can show one too and some even into adulthood...the fins is how I tell....the anal and ventral fins are usually much different in males than females and body shape....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #9 
xXGalaxyXx

Aw, poor little things. I don't even know why the suppliers would offer Petco a fish that can't even be identified yet - sure, they're adorable, but they also need more care than adults and I'm sure that most people that will get them will only buy them because 'aw so cute' instead of thinking it through and giving it the proper care.
Thank heavens my Petco is above this - I actually called the nearest stores manager when I learned of this and asked him about it, and he says that he won't sell them because he'd rather provide happy, healthy adults than cute little fry that probably won't make it longer than a few days. Happy news, that was. <3
xXGalaxyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 PM   #10 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXGalaxyXx View Post
Aw, poor little things. I don't even know why the suppliers would offer Petco a fish that can't even be identified yet - sure, they're adorable, but they also need more care than adults and I'm sure that most people that will get them will only buy them because 'aw so cute' instead of thinking it through and giving it the proper care.
Thank heavens my Petco is above this - I actually called the nearest stores manager when I learned of this and asked him about it, and he says that he won't sell them because he'd rather provide happy, healthy adults than cute little fry that probably won't make it longer than a few days. Happy news, that was. <3
Good to hear that your Petco manager is taking that stand!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote