Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2011, 09:33 PM   #21 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steftravels View Post
I wonder if they are doing this so they can save the cost of having to raise them knowing how many die.. this way they can sell them while they are young and hopefully get rid of them before they put too much money and care into them and before anything happens.. I can see a lot of little kids wanting them because they want a baby fish. Parents would buy it not knowing how delicate the fish was.
Shipping them is too expensive for this concern to be real. A shipping box with $100.00 dead fish in it would be a major embarrassment to the supplier.

I was told that there are normally less than 5 dead in their deliveries and that most Petco stores REFUSE the large x-mass shipments many places normally get.

The main problem with the "baby betta" is simply that quite a few of them end up being physically retarded, literally underdeveloped because of mutation or sensitivity to exposure. When they make the bulk fish feed they do use processed fish and if the balance isn't right you can have too much of one or the other hormones polluting the tank.

The other problem is quite simple... while the "domestic veil tail" is the majorly dominant trait, you do get throwback round-tail girls who are just terrors in a Sorority. They don't respect the order they themselves have established and might as well be a short fin male.

Round Tail males will even attack ornaments. Don't get me wrong, they're great pet fish and very attentive but on occasion when I was removing Martin from his 1.5g to clean it, I simply moved him while he was latched ONTO the net because getting him INTO the net was proving impossible from his willingness to bite it's "tail" off.

Without jumping up and down and screaming just mention to the fish people in the stores that the babies, while mostly viable, are not the best option for sales. They're still inexperienced and can easily disappoint the customer and shipment should be blocked.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #22 
DaveC

I did see some babies at the Petco today. Most fish there were adults and looked healthy. As cute as the babies were, I knew that with a n hour plus car ride home, and their delicate care needs they would not be a good idea.

The girl working the fish department seemed to know her stuff. She actually was taking time time to thoroughly explain tank comparability, heat and filtration needs, etc to a lady who had been given a tank and knew she wanted fish for it, but otherwise did not know where to start.

I hope that selling babies in the Petco does not continue, bad for the fish, and bad for business if the fish keep dying.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #23 
Arashi Takamine

And dangerous for the employee's if I walk in. It'll be dangerous when I'm in there for a dog bed and I may go ape on them if I see those babies.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 AM   #24 
gossipgirl1031

Thanks for tips everyone! She is still doing pretty good except for scaring me by jumping out of her tank when I was about to start a water change. I knew bettas jumped, but had never experienced it. Thankfully she wasn't out long, but the 3 foot fall seemed to daze her a bit. Almost a week later, she's been okay. I'll try and upload a picture soon (when I can figure it out from my Blackberry).
gossipgirl1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #25 
kbetta0998

That is a good idea to talk to the manager. I recently saw the babies there also I will go and talk to the manager next time I stop in.
kbetta0998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 PM   #26 
Silverfang

I absolutely dread the thought of seeing baby bettas for sale here. Thankfully we don't have enough demand.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #27 
Cilenez

i purchased a baby betta from petco on 1-1-12.
he/she is doing well and has grown a bit over the past week.

how can i figure out if i have a male or female..?

also, any tips..?
Cilenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #28 
fishman12

I believe you'll have to wait a bit on the sexing. Good luck and welcome to the forum...

I would be sure to feed well, to help with growth. Keep the water clean, and just take special care. Babies are growing, and a lot of things can upset that growth. Good luck!

(Also, please don't post on threads that are around or over a month since the last post.)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #29 
Tikibirds

I wonder if they get their fish from Thailand and if the breeders there came up with the baby idea. I know thailand got swampd with rain and I know alot of breeders lost many fish. Im thinking maybe the breeders wanted to sell the fry to try and recoup their losses.

I picked up one tonight. I think it may be a CT? I am hoping it can survive the journey to NY...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:59 AM   #30 
Thunderloon

the "babies" seem to be either late hatches that survived or the short batches from bad mated couples that need to be cleared from the breeder tanks so a new mating can occur.

These babies I've been getting speak north-american betta, the side to side up-down for food and the tail-curl-wave for "hi"

got two very pretty ones tonight, hope they stay girls.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote