Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #31 
Brian10962001

The first shipment that came in at the Petco I frequent were just normal juvenille betta's, all about 1/4 to 1/2in long. I got a baby betta from this batch who did great until she decided that living outside of the tank was better than inside . The new ones they have are for SURE culls. They are TINY, 1/8th inch clear things with bent spines. Petco for sure gets these from Thailand or some overseas breeders. I have a post on my discussion with the Petco manager and employee in the breeding section or search my name, it's very interesting. I wish Petco would just start placing these guys in a heated tank then sorting them as they grow. They use tap water with conditioner to do water changes, they live a pretty hard life in these cups that's for sure.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #32 
Tikibirds

The ones I have seen seem to be OK..no bent spines or anything but they are TINY.

Mine is doing very well in "her" little cup. I was syphoning out dirty water with fresh via a syringe and she was floating in a heated tank. However I had to pack up all the fishies since I am leaving today and I am worried about "her" not getting enough heat on this trip. She is about as big as a thumbtack and transparent.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #33 
illustratz

Baby betta thriving

I recently picked up a baby Betta from Petco -- and the little thing is absolutely thriving. It certainly wasn't any more difficult than raising guppy fry -- heck, it was substantially EASIER.

And, since I just want a "desk" companion, it didn't matter to me what variety or even what gender. It's just a cool, potentially pretty, inexpensive little Betta who's already doubled its size in two weeks, recognizes me instantly, and is developing nice rich colors.

I think it's probably a female -- but the colors are still coming in rich and pleasant. I'm not at all disappointed that I took the chance.
illustratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #34 
michbelle

I have a friend who works for Petco and he says that they are all shipped from a company in san diego. Basically mass producers in SD, California. But I don't know if that goes for all Petcos, of course different areas get their fish from different places but I'm in SF so that's where ours come from.
michbelle is offline   Reply With Quote