Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #1 
KetamineKisses

Unhappy Depression

Hello! If you've read my previous post, I'm 13 and I have four betta fish.
-Lelouch (Crowntail)
-Banshee (Veiltail)
-Knightmiir (Veiltail)
-Paxton (Veiltail)

I recently came home from my vacation. I instructed my mom to look after my babies while I was gone. By look after I specifically told her to feed them daily and nothing else. Because I feared if she changed their water she would drop one down the sink or something like that.
So I came home, and was completely devastated. Three of them were sitting at the bottom, fins curled up and very short. Knightmiir has had this problem for a while, and I know it's because I can't afford the stupid heaters I need so badly. Now they're all probably freezing right now. I don't know why, Banshee and Lelouch were doing just fine when I left and they didn't have a heater. Paxton doesn't have any issues because I got him on my vacation. He's okay, but his fins are a little tattered.

So I'm saving up as much as I can right now. I desperately need the money, and quick. Since their tanks are too small to heat properly, I'm going to buy a 30 dollar 10 gallon tank and divide it up so I can place a heater in it. It depends what I get for Christmas. If I get enough, I'll pay the extra 30 if possible and buy the 20 gallon tank so each can have 5 gallons. But that doesn't seem very likely because I need the extra gravel, plants, and the heater. My family is going through a rough spot financially so I'll have to see how it all works out. And does anyone know where I can get a divider that is not see through?

Thanks.
KetamineKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #2 
LittleBettas

First
How long were you gone?

It could be they hve been in dirty water to long (curled fins are common from amonia)
- keep them in conditioned water with 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon of water for a while
Tattered fins ir either finrot or talbiting, in bth cases... treatment is same as with curled fins

You will need tochange water everyother day at the last, though when I had Chile (severe fin curling and ammonia burns) I changed water daily
Try to keep them in a dark place with min. stress

You can use a lamp (like for reading) as a source of light and a bit of heat for them

This is AFTER starting treatment

Last edited by LittleBettas; 11-29-2011 at 08:39 PM.
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #3 
KetamineKisses

I was gone for four days. And I will be sure to get some aquarium salt, thank you so much for the feedback!
KetamineKisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

No problem!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #5 
Myates

Hmm... I wouldn't use AQ salt, as it's only needed to heal and remove problems such as ich, fin rot- tattered fins does not only mean either tail biting or fin rot... not at all.

AQ salt has potential to hamper fin growth, and in the long run can cause internal health issues such as liver/kidney failure. If you are to use AQ salt, please do it properly.. as not mentioned, you would use (for tail issues) 1 teaspoon per gallon, 100% daily water changes and only for a limited time (10 days).. so be careful when you tell someone to use AQ salt and not give proper instructions.. could be detrimental to their health.

But for a curled fin problem.. AQ salt is useless. Period.

Are they actually curled, or did they have them clamped closed to their body? It can be taken as "curled" but if they swim around, are their fins spread out?

Unsure what size tanks they are in, or the cleaning schedule.. for now I would do a very large water change (in filtered tank), or 100%s in unfiltered tanks, adding in full dose of water conditioner, and with like-temp water (use a thermometer).

Don't use desk lamp for heat- the temp normally does not rise with them (desk lamps tend to have a 40 watt max, anything higher will over heat the lamp, and 40-60 watt doesn't actually heat up the water). If it did heat it up, when you turned it off at night the temp will drop, and drop too quickly, which could cause shock and possible death. Only use a desk lamp for light if there is no hooded light with the tank.

But right now the only thing that would do any good for them is the water change with conditioner.. if you raise the temp with the water change, make sure to float them in the water long enough to adjust to the temp.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #6 
Laki

As said, clean the water thoroughly and every second day. Online classifieds are a great way to get cheap or free tanks. I know what it's like not having money! But my local classifieds have at least 15 ads for cheap tanks WITH accessories!! People get a tank and things then get bored. So I would check out craigslist or kiijiji or whatever is popular in your area.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #7 
acadialover

Sorry this happened while you were gone. There are almost always tanks in the paper or at good will.
How about some free sites ?
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote