Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 12:01 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Alrighty! moving tomorrow, and have questions.

So yeah I am moving tomorrow.. Hopefully in the morning. The tanks are easy to move, I have no problem with that. But what I do have a problem with... is the fish. It's only a 10 minute drive anyways... but we know how stressful moving can be on fish!

Spartan won't care, I could take him in a coffee mug and he'd be content (like always when moving).
1. The girls probably won't care - but I'm separating them with baggies. Think that'll be better than putting them together?
2. El Dorado doesn't like moving too much and he finally got over ich and an infection. How should he be moved?
3. I'm putting everyone in baggies with elastics keeping them closed. I don't exactly have a box (if I do I'd be using it) just for them. What else can I use?

I'll also be having cloths and towels wrapped around them, to keep each other out of their sights, and to keep the temperature from dropping too fast.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

perhaps a cooler? i'm sure a 10 min drive away they'll be fine tho just as long as the temp doesn't drop drastically and they don't get sloshed around too much. my last couple of bettas i bought from further away than 10 min, and i stopped at another store on the way home.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I don't have a cooler D: Actually, I have barely anything furniture/extra wise. I have a dresser, a table, and a mattress x.x

.... I could use a drawer from the dresser? It's also make it easier to carry them...
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #4 
SnowySurface

When I was traveling between campus and home, I would put the fish in fish bags and then put the fish bags in their hospital tank. The tank worked as a box, it was water tight if a bag broke, and it was too small to hold anything besides my fish anyway. My fish would chill in the bags during the 2 hour drive from CT to NY and then back again after break. I think your dresser draw would work as well as my hospital tanks.

If worse comes to worse because you cant use a hospital tank as a box or your dresser draw, I would improvise for the 10 minute trip. Toss the girls in the glove compartment and the boys in the little compartment in the arm rest between the passenger and driver seat. The glove compartment and arm rest compartments are usually a bit warmer than the more open parts of a car. Also, since those two sections of the car close, the fish will be in a dark place and should be calmer. But I only suggest that because your trip is so short. My 2 hour migrations needed a bit more improvising. XD

I know the glove compartment and arm rest do not sound like real suggestions. But they have worked for me in the past when I've brought home new fish from a pet store. As long as the heat or AC was on in the car (depending on the season) the fish were healthy in either the arm rest or glove compartment for about 30 minutes. In fact, once I stuck the fish bags in the cup holders when I was bringing them to my dad's place so he could fish-sit for me during a two week vacation. It was very weird being watched by my fish the entire time I was driving. I know they had nothing else to look at, but my dad was 30 minutes away at the time. It felt like I had two side seat drives who were judging my driving skills based on how many bumps I hit.

So....yeah. I've done odd things to get my fish from point A to point B. ^_^;
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

hehe fish staring at you from the cup holders :p :p

I forgot about using one of the tanks... I'd be separating them with cloths or something. Good ideas... How about my El Dorado? he's seems to be the worse for being moved. Everyone is happy lol