Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #1 
roadplug

Alergic to Bloodworms?

I'd never considered it, but yes, among other things that used to not bother me at all, [like the sun] I am now allergic to bloodworms too.

I got all my kids some frozen bloodworms and just a little while ago, i decided to give them an early snack. I was breaking off tiny pieces of the red frozen brick and putting some in each of 13 tanks.

I've actually fed bloodworms to one or two tanks recently and not had a problem. But thirteen tanks took a little longer and I had much more exposure. I wasn't being careful and probably had the bloodworm juice on my hands, which got in my ears, and more in my ears when I itched, and who knows where else.

I didn't know an allergy to bloodworms was even possible, I mean, I wasn't going to eat them. Before I even finished, my throat felt like it had something sharp in it and it hurt to swallow. I was coughing until i gagged. My ears were itching so badly i couldn't stand it and rubbed them raw making them worse. I just got out of the shower, and i can feel and hear my pulse in my ears. Its weird. The hand that i was using to break off pieces and feed, still itches a little.

Wow, I had no idea! I looked online and this is not uncommon. One site said the dried bloodworms can be even worse because of the dry, airborne worm powder? Has anyone else here had this problem?

Getting older is annoying, but my kids all loved their treat, so it was all worth it. :D
roadplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Well I am allergic to clove oil!!! :o

it burns and hurts soo much and made my hands itchy.... And I do not know of anyone who is allergic to it... So I know how it feels... sooo weird isn't it? One of those... "who knew?".
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #3 
roadplug

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Well I am allergic to clove oil!!! :o

it burns and hurts soo much and made my hands itchy.... And I do not know of anyone who is allergic to it... So I know how it feels... sooo weird isn't it? One of those... "who knew?".

Wow, I plan on getting some of that just in case. I'll remember to handle it carefully.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #4 
cajunamy
Banned

Well clove oil is concentrated and you are supposed to dilute it before any use. Any concentrated oil will burn you.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

It mentions something about it on the freeze dried bloodworm bottle..Nothing on the frozen though.I have also heard its not too uncommon to have a reaction to bloodworms though I personally haven't had any sort of reaction to them...I avoid getting the frozen type on my hands by using tweezers to break apart the bloodworms.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I'm allergic to diluted clove oil ;( I diluted it, basically to the concentration to get a fish to sleep, and it burned my hand raw.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 
Edifiler

I think i might have a little reaction to the frozen blood worms now ._. i just undried them, wash them and dried them, now i feel weird ._.
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #8 
roadplug

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I'm allergic to diluted clove oil ;( I diluted it, basically to the concentration to get a fish to sleep, and it burned my hand raw.
So it can burn, even if you're not allergic. Good to know. There's an oil in creosote bushes, [creosote] in the desert that is used medicinally, but silly me, i got it too strong and burned my feet when i soaked them one night.

Human skin can be so sensitive huh? Stuff used on animals and for animals can often cause humans bad reactions or damage. Even stuff for our little fishies. I get careless sometimes and pay for it.
^.^)
Mia
Old 11-29-2011, 06:31 PM   #9 
roadplug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifiler View Post
I think i might have a little reaction to the frozen blood worms now ._. i just undried them, wash them and dried them, now i feel weird ._.
You are much more careful than i was, i just broke chunks off. I like watching the feeding frenzy when the girls tear the frozen chunk apart. It melts in seconds in the 80 degree water. I felt it in my throat and ears, and there was a sort of 'funny all over feeling'. The worst for me was the sharp scratching in my throat. Taking a shower helped a lot, and now, a few hours later i feel okay. I'd say, like with anything, if your worried, or it lasts too long, or gets worse, call for medical advice.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Hmm... so how would someone, allergic to bloodworms feed them without touching them (or dressing up in the hazard suit :p )