Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #11 
Edifiler

Perhaps some bettas would be more comfortable in a tank they came home to and may feel a little stressed when moved to a new environment?
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:45 AM   #12 
Pitluvs

Personally, I started out with smaller tanks (1-1.5g) and moved up to larger tanks (2.5-3g) once me and my fish were comfortable. Personally, and this is just my opinion and experience on my own, I wouldn't put fish in tanks over that size. But there are many people here who use 5g-10g+ tanks for one betta and do fine :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #13 
Edifiler

i currently have a 6.6g with only one betta in it but i plan to divide it and house it to one more pet shop survivor :P
Edifiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #14 
BettaBuddy101

I upgraded my bettas 4 gal baby birob to a 7.4 gallon rectangular tank and he absolutely loves it. He is a lot more active and seems to enjoy exploring the plants and decor that the new tank provides. He's got a couple of tankmates too which I often find him taking a peek at which clearly seem to provide a little added entertainment as well. I wouldn't want to put a betta in a tank much smaller than the one he's in now, so for me I think it's always going to be 5 gal minimum.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #15 
BettaBuddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I think people tend to just "throw" a betta that has been kept in a tiny tank/cup all its life into a large tank and when that fish doesn't do well, blame it on the size of the tank. The fish simply doesn't have the muscle mass to carry around heavy fins in a larger body of water. It has to be built up to that. Also, just because it is bigger doesn't mean you don't have to change the water frequently, especially in the beginning. Just because you have a filter doesn't mean you know what a cycle is or how to do it. It is something you have to research, so it takes a little more effort than just changing a bowl frequently
+1 on this
Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #16 
JahBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBuddy101 View Post
I upgraded my bettas 4 gal baby birob to a 7.4 gallon rectangular tank and he absolutely loves it. He is a lot more active and seems to enjoy exploring the plants and decor that the new tank provides. He's got a couple of tankmates too which I often find him taking a peek at which clearly seem to provide a little added entertainment as well. I wouldn't want to put a betta in a tank much smaller than the one he's in now, so for me I think it's always going to be 5 gal minimum.
I have around the same size of tank; what tankmates are you keeping with him? I'm not worried about mine being aggressive, but more being stressed or the other fish stressing him. Although I'm sure he'd love to swim with some peaceful shoal; he "schools" with himself through multiple plants that I have, sometimes he will just lay around in them (literally, horizontally lay down).
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #17 
BettaBuddy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JahBetta View Post
I have around the same size of tank; what tankmates are you keeping with him? I'm not worried about mine being aggressive, but more being stressed or the other fish stressing him. Although I'm sure he'd love to swim with some peaceful shoal; he "schools" with himself through multiple plants that I have, sometimes he will just lay around in them (literally, horizontally lay down).
I've got 3 cherry shrimp and 4 pygmy cories (C.Pygmaeus). I am aware that the cories would be better off in a larger group + larger tank though (mixed online advice so I left it to my LFS who said I'd get away with a small group as such), so I'm not sure if I'd recommend them to you. I'm aware of somebody who keeps a couple of endlers with their betta in a tank about 6 gallons, though I don't know how that's getting along or what their setup is like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #18 
LittleBettas

I have two betas, both have thicker bodies and shorter tails then the rest of my bettas, who, in anything bigger than a 1 gallon will begin tail bitting and stop eating, I finally put them back in the 1 gallon and they were fine... I tried them in 2 gallons, 2.5, 3 gallons, and a 5 gallon..... after a week and the loss of most of their tails, I gave up
Grendel, if kept in anything smaller than 2.5 gallons (divided 5 gallon) will tear his fins horribly
Flagg is in a 3 gallon, I wanted to have him in the 5 gallon, but his fins are to heavy and long with the filtier (he keeps them trimmed in the 3 gallon, but he sends a lot of time swimming, then resting forong periods of times)

I like the 3 gallons better, but its really the fishs preference, I do use 1 gallon tanks as QT, if the betta prefers that, I keep him in that with100% water changes every other day....
yes, larger tanks are less care, but I enjoy taking care of my bettas and other than Grendel, all do well suring water changes (he hates the betta cups I put him in during changes)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #19 
jfw

I forgot to mention in my post that in the heavily planted 5 gallon I noticed jeffrey's bubble nests were much thicker, he made them allot in his one gallon, but they weren't near as thick, I'm not talking length, they now come up around 1/4 an inch above the water

Moclam, don't be embarrassed we all have those days.
jfw is offline   Reply With Quote