Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #1 
ANHEL123

alkalin?

Someone ask me a question that i have no idea what it is. Is anyone can help?

I just do 100% water changes for my 2.5 gall tanks i don't check the water sorry...i don't know what is alkaline is

The person has 10 gall tank and ph and everything was normal but alkalinity was high..is this bad? Is it possible to fix?
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #2 
gbose

Beats me... I thought Ph was a measure of alkalinity.....

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

Sorry i have no idea since i do 100% water changes and i don't have yet any problem with that i just don't check my water. I know if i will start to do it i will get to crazy so ...

Thank you :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM   #4 
Myates

pH is the measure of hydroxile ions in the water,it determines acidity or the lack off it (base).
Alkalinity (Kh) is the calcium hardness of your water and it determines the pH stability of your water,the higher the Kh,the more difficult it is to change the pH. Mostly this is a good thing. Changeable pH can be very stressful to fish.
Basically, alkalinity relates to the ability of the water to resist changing pH if you add an acid or a base. The more alkalinity you have, the harder the pH is to change. Since fish like a stable pH, having some alkalinity is good. Having too much can cause the water to become basic, and can make some dissolved minerals in the water precipitate out..
KH is not quite the measure of alkalinity, but rather the measure of carbonate hardness (in very general terms, how hard the water is).

Dictionary entry details

• ALKALINITY (noun)
Meaning:
PH values above 7
Classified under:
Nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
Hypernyms ("alkalinity" is a kind of...):
pH; pH scale ((from potential of Hydrogen) the logarithm of the reciprocal of hydrogen-ion concentration in gram atoms per liter; provides a measure on a scale from 0 to 14 of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution (where 7 is neutral and greater than 7 is more basic and less than 7 is more acidic))

And all that other mumbo-jumbo stuff.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 PM   #5 
RoyalBlueDarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Someone ask me a question that i have no idea what it is. Is anyone can help?

I just do 100% water changes for my 2.5 gall tanks i don't check the water sorry...i don't know what is alkaline is

The person has 10 gall tank and ph and everything was normal but alkalinity was high..is this bad? Is it possible to fix?
Hi, medical science student here.

Alkalinity is a measure of how basic, as opposed to how acidic your water is. If the water is too basic, or alkaline, it is "hard"; if it is acidic it is "soft". A pH scale is used (it's a logarithmic scale) from 0 to 14. 0 to 6 is acidic. 7 is neutral. 8-14 is basic, or alkaline. As a comparison, gastric juice (in your stomach), which contains hydrochloric acid, has a pH of about 2-3. It's a measure of how many hydrogen ions (acidic) or hydroxide ions (basic) you have in the water. An equal amount of hydrogen ions H+ and hydroxide ions OH- = a pH of 7 (neutral). Bettas prefer slightly softer water (which is what tannins do to it).

PS: To lower the alkalinity, tell them to get pH Down.

Last edited by RoyalBlueDarling; 11-29-2011 at 07:23 PM.
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
About the pH down... I think Myates mentioned something about bettas (or fish in general) preferring a stable pH. I have a problem with alkaline (hard water) in my apt and it was suggested that I slowly acclimate my betta to the alkaline water.

My betta, Rosso, is now acclimated my tap water and is showing signs of being a healthy betta. Bettas are fairly hardy fish and should do well with alkaline (hard water). I'm no expert, but this is what I learned from some people who have a lot of experience with bettas and other fish.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #7 
Myates

pH down will do more harm then good for your betta. They will adjust to hard/high pH water on their own.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:25 PM   #8 
RoyalBlueDarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
pH down will do more harm then good for your betta. They will adjust to hard/high pH water on their own.
I agree. Just wasn't sure if the person's 10 gal is a betta tank or not? Silly, now that I think on it, since this is a betta forum.
RoyalBlueDarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #9 
bahamut285

OH MY GOD NO. Urgh I'm going to have to write a guide on this don't I.

"Alkalinity" is always confused and interchanged with basicity.

The word ALKALINE: Means just as Myates' dictionary reference and RBD said. It is any solution with a pH of over 7. You have a basic solution

The word ALKALINITY is something completely different. Alkalinity is the ability of a solution to neutralize acids. So this is the ability of your water to RESIST sudden pH changes. However depending on what is buffering your solution, once you get close to a certain pH it will NOT be able to handle any more and will change suddenly.

Having a HIGHLY ALKALINE aquarium is not that good (especially if you're close to pH of 9). But having an aquarium with HIGH ALKALINITY can work to your advantage, provided it isn't too high.

In EITHER CASE, I don't suggest trying to mess with pH unless it's something horrible like 6.0 < ph > 8.5... Most fish from pet stores have been bred to handle a wide variety of pH (marine fish excluded) so you shouldn't worry unless you DO mean your water is alkaline.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #10 
BETTACHKALOVE

Ok i understood hard water is not a problem and betta can adjust to it. I have another question now.
Is every betta adjusting differently to the hard water?
And how I understand hardness of the water can vary?
I saw a post where the person complained that betta is lethargic. So while everyone tried to figure out what wrong ,that person check the water in the pet store and water appeared to be too hard. So he add extra conditioner and his betta get back to normal. So i guess his water was too hard for betta?
I saw some people on this forum recommending to use water conditioner PRIME. Is it right thing to do?

EDIT: bahamut i am reading your post because i think we put it at the same time so may be i will get my answer from you.

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 11-30-2011 at 03:59 PM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote