Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #1 
Jodah

Think Ankou has fungus

So, just checked in on my little buddy and I see what looks to be a white algae/fungus around his head, but no where else on his body. almost like when you get a bad sunburn and your skin starts peeling a bit. It looks like it follows the edge of his gills. He's not lethargic, is eating fine. I feel as though I should be running to the lfs to grab some aquarium salt or fungus remover. Am i right to think so or am i overreacting?

Housing
What size is your tank? Was in a 5.5g before I put him into my macquarium for temporary holding.
What temperature is your tank? 78*
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? N/A
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Will be doing 1 50% and 1 100% weekly
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? NA only been up for a day.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white substance around head/gills, almost like algea sticking to him.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nothing yet
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 6:45pm today
Have you started treating your fish? not yet
If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? guessing he was 3-4 months old when I bought him a month ago, so we'll say he is approx 5 months old.

pics:

Sorry for the not so great pics, he doesn't like sitting still for the camera. To me it seems as though I should grab some salt, and possibly some anti-fungal meds. but I figured I'd ask first before doing anything drastic.

edit: Could this maybe not be fungus and just excess slime coat from me moving him from one tank to the new one?

Last edited by Jodah; 12-13-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #2 
Myates

Handsome boy there..

Even zoomed in it is hard to tell..

Is the substance a milky to grey coloration that seems to more or less float on him.. or can you see tiny little hair like points to it and more white in coloration?

If you see tiny hairs sticking up, or something similar to what you see on a cotton ball - cotton swab for your ear then I would say it is fungus.. if it's just the milky type substance then slime coating.

They generally create excess slime coating when they either have a bacterial infection, or trying to ward one off..

You can try doing 50% water changes every other day for the next few days while he is in QT to see if that clears it up if it's the slime coating.

For fungus (when caught early enough) and for slime coating caused by bacteria, AQ salt will work for both-
1 teaspoon per gallon, pre-dissolved and water conditioner added, daily 100% water changes for no longer then 10 days.

I would do either of those treatments first and see where you stand. If by the 8th day it seems to be growing and you can tell it's fungus for sure, then I would stop the AQ treatment and treat with either Fungus Eliminator by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure or Mardel’s Maracyn II... discontinueing the salt prior to using the medication.

Whichever it is, it looks like you may have caught it early enough that the clean water and/or salt will most likely take care of it.

Good luck and keep us updated.. wish I could tell you for sure one way or another, but the pictures aren't clear enough :(

Last edited by Myates; 12-13-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #3 
Jodah

it is milky and does seem to float on him. So it would seem to be slime coating issue?

I guess tomorrow I'll grab some aq salt. Got $5 petco cash to spend anywho.
I'm also gonna rip out the silk plant that i brought over from the first tank. I rinsed the ever living snot out of it (had the red hands to prove it too) and the tank water is already starting to cloud up. So, I'm done with silk plants. From now on it's going to be plastic plants or a NPT for him.

What's really frustrating is I do everything by the book. I was testing parameters daily on the 5.5 because it was supposed to be cycling.

I didn't do any of this on my g/f's tank and her's is crystal clear with no maintenance. Only top offs (she loses about 3/4" of water daily due to the cooling fan for the lights which probably isn't even necesary anymore)

grr.....
Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #4 
Jodah

Update: So, in my travels today, and because the macquarium clouded up as well, i picked up a 2.5g tank for 13 bucks, some aq salt, and some API beta fix jsut in case. Thoroughly rinsed and cleaned my Aqueon 50w heater (which ahd a serious buildup of some nasty brown gunkiness on the rubber end cap)

Filled it up, nothing is in it at the moment. I wanna be able to see EVERYTHING. Water is staying crystal clear. So, either I didn't rinse the gravel enough, or, as I suspect, it was the silk plants causing my cloudiness issue.

Anywho, back on topic, Ankou is doing fine, eating normally, and it would appear the milky substance around his head has disappeared. I'm not sure if it was rubbed off during transfer into the 2.5g, or what. But, reguardless, he's in the 2.5 and seems to be doing fine. I tossed a small amount of AQ salt in there just to be sure.

He's still mad at me though. Lol. I can tell because he keeps staring me down. Soon as I get my paycheck in 2 weeks, I'll go out and buy him some plastic plants to rest on.