Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

I was gonna say - panacur is a dewormer for dogs. I used it for bubbles once. From what I remember, it's pretty potent stuff.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #12 
Sakura8

Hi earthworm!

I called my vet clinic and they did have Panacur but they wouldn't give it to me without seeing the pet who would be receiving it. The catch? They don't see fish. Boo. So I found the Safe-Guard at Petsmart and I've got it all mixed up but sadly, as I feared, no one has an appetite. Both affected boys were "off" for a week and I was frustrated as heck because I knew they were sick since they wouldn't eat but I couldn't tell what they were sick with. :( Now I know what they're sick with but they still won't eat.

I also ordered some medicated flakes from a small company that DarkMoon17 suggested. They should arrive by early next week so maybe I'll have better success with them. In the meantime, I did disinfect one small 2.5g when I switched one of the boys to a smaller kritter keeper. Both are also in 3 tsps ES/gallon just in case that helps with anything.

Thanks a bunch, friend, you've been a great help. :) I truly appreciate all the advice and information you've found for me. Thank you.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:54 AM   #13 
earthworm88

Yikes! That's always an issue with meds if required Rx from vet unless you have got a personal friend who is willing to "look" at your fish.

Unfortunately you are right, they will have absolutely no appetite whatsoever because the Camallanus' head latch on to the betta's stomach and intestines and just suck the life out of it, hence the fatality rate is generally high :( so continue to coax them with the bloodworms until your medicated flakes arrive.

*Blush* I haven't done much, just found some info here and there. Sorry I am not as knowledgeable as I would like to be. I hope your fish will decide to eat, as it will help them fight this battle and win.

Best of luck!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #14 
Sakura8

So, if the head latches on to the stomach, am I looking at the worms' backsides coming out of my fish? If so, yeek. Those are long worms. o.O

You're very knowledgeable. I would say you are one of the best on the forum at knowing and finding information, earthworm. :)
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #15 
earthworm88

Sakura, you are too kind. I do have some medical background, but just not for treating fishes, and luckily so far, SBD is all I need to deal with and an occasional blow outs and mechanical injuries :D

Here is a good read about Camallanus. I must say that the worms on her finger look more like 1 cm to me and not 1 inch, but they do grow that long! Gross!

http://inkmkr.com/Fish/CamallanusTreatment/

Camallanus are intestinal roundworms or nematodes and are usually long and red or reddish brown. (The worms are red from their victim's blood in their gut.) They grow to about 2cm long. These are seen hanging out of the guppy's anus and will often be seen withdrawing back into the anus.

Livebearers, especially guppies, are prone to this disease.

The worm has powerful jaws and hangs onto the intestinal wall, often inflicting wounds that can become infected with bacteria. Their grip is so tight the tissue in their grasp dies from lack of blood, causing them to move to another spot. They destroy the epithilium and cause ulcers. In heavy infestations, the worm can create holes in the intestine through which bacteria and other pathogens can enter the abodomen. These infections often result in the death of the host, the fish showing signs of poisoning before dying. Another cause of death to the host is obstruction of the intestine, especially in young guppies.

Again, wish there is more I could do, for now, I can only pray that your boys will eat and fight these horrible nematodes!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

Sakura, you dont need a Rx for Panacur. At least you didn't a few years ago. I got it from a store that specializes in dogs and sells alot of stuff for dog sled teams. Did you want me to see if I can pick it up for you?

http://www.coldspotfeeds.com/advance...4b2991&x=0&y=0

well that one appears to be for horses but they have it for dogs as well.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 12-01-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Okay, well I don't think it'd hurt the rock nor the roots to rinse in tap water. The chlorine will "sanitize" them from pests, like those worms... Usually I'd say about 3-7 days works. anubias is pretty hardy from what I know.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Earthworm, whoa. It's interesting, the worms coming out of my bettas look smaller and finer than those, almost like tiny hairs. Disgusting. My poor boys. Those are some tenacious critters. o.O

Tiki: Maybe the person I talked to on the phone at my vet clinic was confused? I don't know. I did find Panacur on Dr Foster and Smith website but it was $320 for 100grams. I don't think so.

Sena, okay, thanks for the advice! I'll rinse the rocks in tap water and hope that does the trick.

Update: Anderson refuses to eat the medicated worms and skulks on the bottom but Riceball is much more active and ate a worm before he realized it tasted nasty. He wouldn't eat a second worm but maybe I can trick him again tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Riceball will eat his medicated worms so I'm not worried about him but Anderson . . . I'm running out of options. I'm going to the vet clinic in a while to see if they have and will let me have Flubendazole to put in the water. If not, then I am going to have them humanely euthanize Anderson because he won't get better if he won't eat his medicated worms. :( My only chance is a solvent in the water.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #20 
earthworm88

I am not quite sure simply rinsing the plants and rocks with tap water will do the trick for the fact that the larvae are really hardy but microscopic and can survive for a long time.

Yay...good to hear Riceball ate a worm! Hopefully he will have a short memory and will eat again

Ouch! $320 for 100 gm?! That's outrageous!

Yeah Sakura, the tell tale sign is they will look like red paint brush sticking out of their vent. At their final stage, they will grow quickly and elongate.

Would you consider mixing up some not so dissolved Fenbendazole into Anderson's tank before you take the drastic step? I have read an article that it helped a bit as the powder dissolved slightly over time. But as you said, it may be more humane to end his misery now than later.

How's the rest of your brood doing? No other fish is showing signs of this yah? Watch Riceball to see if the bite he took killed the camallanus by checking the bottom of his QT.

Good luck!