Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #21 
Sakura8

For the two tanks that I have emptied, I used boiling water and vinegar. Haven't tackled the divided 10g yet, that'll be a project for tomorrow.

Anderson wasn't doing so well. His scales were starting to stick up, not quite pineconing but definitely raised, and he was getting fin rot on his tail. He was so listless I could lift him up in the water, remove my hand and he'd just sink. Wouldn't even move a fin. :( I went to the vet clinic and asked about meds but they didn't have Flubenol or Levamisol. Based on how bad he looked and how weak he was, I made the decision to have them euthanize him. I'm thinking he may have gotten a bacterial infection on top of the worms because he was in way worse condition than Riceball.

In addition to the worms that are in Safe-Guard, I should have some medicated flakes arriving soon so that's good news for Riceball. None of my other fish are showing any signs of these worms but I may treat the fish who were in the divided tank with Riceball with praziquantel just to be on the safe side.

Snails can't bring camallanus in, can they?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #22 
earthworm88

Sorry to hear that Anderson is so weak. Unfortunately, sometimes the fish will succumb to the secondary infections faster than the original helminthic infection.

I haven't found any scientific evidence that snails carry camallanus worms, but some fishkeepers felt that they could based on personal experience, and others question the type of snails and strains of camallanus etc. So the answer to your question is inconclusive.

Great idea you treated the tank where Riceball was in with Praziquantel.
I hope the rest of the gang will make it ok.

Good luck! Hope the flakes will arrive soon!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #23 
Sena Hansler

Awww sorry that your little guy isn't doing so good!! I hope everyone makes it.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #24 
tpocicat

I'm really sorry that you're going through such a hard time. I hope the others make it OK.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM   #25 
Sakura8

Thanks everyone. I buried Anderson this morning under the weeping cherry tree. Riceball is eating his medicated worms though so things are looking good for him. He passed something, I'm not really sure what it was, so it's promising.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #26 
earthworm88

RIP, Anderson.
Riceball, fighting! <<in Korean accent>>

Sakura, keep up the good work!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #27 
Sakura8

:( A third betta has camallanus and is now in quarantine. Like Riceball, Crichton is still active and eating so that's good news. But Crichton was in a semi-planted tank. How the heck do I sterilize that? It's a divided 5g and each side has one Black Amazon sword, a tuft of dwarf hairgrass, and a moss ball or two. Will a dose of praziquantel kill off any free-floating larvae in the water? Or do I need to tear down that tank too?
Old 12-03-2011, 11:50 PM   #28 
earthworm88

Not quite sure what to do with the plants, chucking them is a great waste, may be just keep them quarantined as well......OFL may be the best person to ask

Here is a great thread about the pursuit of killing those darn worms...

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/f...topic=30059.25

**Quarantine your fish - three months best. It sounds terribly long but if you have a nice quarantine tank set up it should be just as joyful to observe your new friends here for a time. **Clean and quarantine your plants and remember parasites can easily come in via snails and shrimp.

How is everyone doing?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:25 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Thanks, Earthworm. I'll ask OFL what she recommends. I dosed all the tanks with praziquantel to be on the safe side. Anyone showing signs of worms goes straight into QT and gets the fenbendazole treatment. So far, so good. Crichton has always been a worm fiend so he's eating his medicated worms like a good boy. Riceball too. He passed a great clump of something that I hope was a cluster of dead worms. Kinda hard to tell.

You know, you don't really think about quarantining bettas since they pretty much go into their own tanks anyway (being solitary and all). I forgot about divided tanks. Although, I'm afraid I may have cross-contaminated from a sick goldfish. She's not showing any worms but she's also quite sick and hasn't eaten for at least a week or more. Since I read that pond fish often carry camallanus, I'm beginning to suspect she is the culprit.

Thanks again for all your help and support, Earthworm. :) I'm glad I'm not going through this alone.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:12 AM   #30 
earthworm88

I am wondering aloud if you should just go ahead and treat your entire gang of fishes with Fenbendazole. Is it highly likely that you may have crossed contaminated all your tanks via nets, water droplets etc? For you to see the actual worms, your tank would have been infected for at least 30 days and during that time, have they shared anything in common?

You are absolutely welcome! I think you are one of the very generous and kind supporters of this forum with your wise advice and kind (and diplomatic) words. So sorry you have to go through this. I hope the casualty rate will be kept to the minimum. You are doing great so far...keep up the good work!