Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #31 
tpocicat

I'm praying that everything will turn out well. This must be soooo hard for you.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #32 
Sakura8

Aww, thank you so much for the sweet words, Earthworm. :3 I remember how kindly I was welcomed to the forum so I always try to treat others the same way. And thank you, tpocicat for the kind words. I really appreciate them. I gotta admit, it hasn't been easy because the meds are so hard to come by.

I think you're right, I may try to feed everyone the medicated flakes. I just got them yesterday although my two sick bettas snubbed their noses at it. I think I have to starve them for a day to make them super hungry. I'm afraid I may have cross-contaminated via the water-change siphon. :/
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:03 PM   #33 
earthworm88

Yay....glad to hear the medicated flakes arrived. What kind are they exactly? So I will keep an eye on them for future reference.

Hehe...aren't they picky eaters?! Give them a day to "detox", I am sure they will welcome the flakes with open jaws
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:34 AM   #34 
Sakura8

I ordered them from a website called www.angelsplus.com (DarkMoon17 told me about them). These people make their own food and it looks like it's really good quality, too. I may order some of their regular foods for my fish in the near future.

It's $5.50 US for 3 oz so a pretty fair price. The Safe-Guard cost $7.

Well, it looks like all my fish get to fast for a day because I'm going to treat everyone with the fenbendazole just to be on the safe side. So get hungry, fishies!
Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #35 
Sena Hansler

I think you definitely should treat everyone. When treating a fish, for anything including ich, velvet, internal parasites etc, you should always always wash your hands. Use a spoon for food (I used a itty bitty thing, that came with my powdered baby food) and wash that between feeding different tanks. Everything should be sterilized with vinegar/water, or diluted bleach/water mix then rinsed very well.

I think what you could do, is take everything out. plants, ornaments, rocks. Rocks you rinse with bleach and water, then just water (thoroughly) or chuck. Ornaments same thing. Boil them in water, then let cool in a bucket of tap water. Live plants, put in tap water, in a bucket as sterilization. This can be done for a week.

Leave everyone in empty tanks/ 1 gallon containers. Daily water changes, and the medication will help. Wash your hands between feeding fish. I've had to do this when 2 tanks had an outbreak of ich. Act like it is contagious, even if it isn't, then you'll take extra precautions. good luck!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #36 
Sakura8

Thanks for the advice, Sena, I'll do just that. I have definitely been washing my hands, that much is for sure. I'm afraid I got complacent because I wasn't having any problems and it all came back to bite my poor fish in the butt, literally. >.<
Old 12-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #37 
Sena Hansler

Yeah it's hard to not say "oh good I can put a little slack in...it's gone and over with" x.x I did that once and only once lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #38 
Sakura8

Yup, so true.

Update: Both boys are hanging in there. Crichton eats the medicated worms with gusto but then, he always did love his worms. Riceball's getting pickier. Both boys have some sort of waste that they pass but it takes, literally, all day. In fact, as far as I know, the stuff never falls off because I never find it on the bottom of the tank. They also have a few worms still. I took pics of the waste so I'll post those later. Maybe someone can tell me what the heck it is.

Thanks for all the help and well wishes, everyone. I really appreciate the support. :)
Old 12-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #39 
Sakura8

Update: No one will eat the medicated flakes so I have no idea if the boys would be better faster on the flakes than on the medicated worms. I'm on the mad hunt for levamisole but I've just discovered why it's so hard to find: apparently it's used in cocaine production and recently caused an outbreak of flesh-eating diseases in cocaine users. So it seems many levamisole-based products have been yanked from shelves, including goat and cattle dewormers. *facepalm*

Neither boy is showing any improvement but they aren't getting worse either. How long can they go like this, with these worms hanging out of them? I'm worried they aren't getting enough medication via the worms but Crichton will only eat 2 worms per day and I'm lucky if Riceball eats 1.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #40 
earthworm88

That's interesting to know! I know they were difficult to get but never bothered to figure why.

At least your boys are eating albeit a tiny little bit, hopefully their appetite will perk up soon so that they can kill these suckers once and for all.

If you are still interested in getting Flubendazole, try to contact Dr. C. Harrison. He is an expert in treating Camallanus and should be able to mail you the Flubendazole or Levamisole. Here is the link and his contact info is on the bottom.

http://www.inkmkr.com/Fish/FlubendazoleTreatment.pdf
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote