Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #1 
mardi

Compatible Tank mates.

So, my new tank is finally cycling, which has caused me to think about adding a little companion for Bowie.

I've been doing a lot of reseach, and it's kind of been blowing my mind. I'm figuring a snail would probably be the best bet, but just in case anyone has any other suggestions:

-I have a 5.5 gallon tank, which stays heated between 80-82 degrees (depending on if I have the tank light on).
-I don't have any plants in the tank, yet, but a nice pagoda home for Bowie, which seems to have produced a bit of algae.
-I keep my tank clean, and although I usually take Bowie out when doing water changes, I want something tough that I would be able to leave in and not have to worry about taking out whenever I do a change.

I primarily want something to eat the waste that Bowie leaves behind when eating and keep the tank clean from algae.

I'm already planning to add a plant or two, but I'm mostly concerned about finding something that will survive in the tank with the conditions the way they are now.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking about Ghost Shimp, but has anyone kept them in the temperature I have the tank at now?
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #2 
Fasht

I have kept ghost shrimps in that temperature but the problem lies whether they end up being a tank mate or snack for your betta
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #3 
mardi

Yeah, I've read that eating the shrimp could be a problem. However, Bowie seems chill enough that I'd be willing to risk it with a few and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasht View Post
I have kept ghost shrimps in that temperature but the problem lies whether they end up being a tank mate or snack for your betta
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #4 
JahBetta

Shrimp; they are interesting, look nice, enjoy plants just like a Betta and can sometimes be the most interesting part of the tank. If he DOES eat them adults, or fry, well, that's just how the species works. In the wild Betta typically come across invertebrates, and shrimp, so he should enjoy them if they turn out to be a snack. I am starting a RCS colony in my Betta tank; hopefully he will keep the fry under control, and a plus to that would be a more nutritional (live diet), balanced eating schedule for him.
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 
Nu2Fish

Questions about a new tank

Hi all. I have two female Bettas, Perriwinkle and Penelope. Right now, they are kept separately, each in a one gallon fish bowl. I am getting a 10-gallon tank with a heater tomorrow. I want to put them together, along with three Platies and a few Neon Tetras. Does this sound like a good combination as far as compatability? Also, I read about "cycling" and am not sure I completely understand it. I get the thing about building up good bacteria on the biological filter, but from what I read, I am hesitant to put the Betta and other fish into the new tank right away. What do I need to do for "cycling" and how soon can I add other fish in with the Bettas to ensure they thrive? One last question, what is a good substrate for the fish? I currently have colored rocks, but I read these can hurt the Bettas if they scrape against them going for food that floats to the bottom.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Jill :)
Nu2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #6 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Fish View Post
Hi all. I have two female Bettas, Perriwinkle and Penelope. Right now, they are kept separately, each in a one gallon fish bowl. I am getting a 10-gallon tank with a heater tomorrow. I want to put them together, along with three Platies and a few Neon Tetras. Does this sound like a good combination as far as compatability? Also, I read about "cycling" and am not sure I completely understand it. I get the thing about building up good bacteria on the biological filter, but from what I read, I am hesitant to put the Betta and other fish into the new tank right away. What do I need to do for "cycling" and how soon can I add other fish in with the Bettas to ensure they thrive? One last question, what is a good substrate for the fish? I currently have colored rocks, but I read these can hurt the Bettas if they scrape against them going for food that floats to the bottom.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Jill :)

Females must be kept in groups of 3 or more, 4 or 5 being the better number. If there is only two, the dominant one will end up picking on the weaker girl until she kills her.

Your stocking is a bit much, neon tetras like to school so getting five would be best for them. Those along with the platies will pretty much fill you up stocking wise without your girls added in too.

I cant really explain the cycling, Im pretty terrible at explaining it, sorry!

As a note though, when adding non-betta fish to your tank, its best to add them before you add your bettas. Anything added after the bettas are seen as invading the bettas territory and will be seen as enemies.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #7 
Nu2Fish

Thanks EmeraldSky! I will get two more female Bettas and hold off on the Tetras. I got the new tank and put the Bettas in, but I added the four little Platies just afterward. They all seem to be getting along and enjoying the swimming space. I keep watching Perriwinkle because she is definitely the Alpha of the two Bettas. So far, she is behaving.

What substrate should I put in there instead of those little colored rocks? Any ideas?
Nu2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #8 
irbyma7297

i had a betta name tigerlily when i was 12, and i bought river rocks at the dollar store, and he never tore his fins.
irbyma7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #9 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Fish View Post
Thanks EmeraldSky! I will get two more female Bettas and hold off on the Tetras. I got the new tank and put the Bettas in, but I added the four little Platies just afterward. They all seem to be getting along and enjoying the swimming space. I keep watching Perriwinkle because she is definitely the Alpha of the two Bettas. So far, she is behaving.

What substrate should I put in there instead of those little colored rocks? Any ideas?
I would take one out, females bettas are a bit wonky, they can behave totally fine then snap one day and kill the other girl. Ive had my sorority established for almost 2 months and just lost a girl yesterday because they decided they didnt like her anymore.

Definitely read up on sororities since thats what youre planning on doing, you need a TON of hiding places and specific ways to introduce your girls to the tank.

For your platies, do you know your male to female ratio? They work better if they are in 1 male for every two females. Its all good if you got 1 male and 3 females, but if you have more than one male, then the females may be harassed by them for breeding.

Ive been using play sand, its super easy to clean and you can get a 50lb bag at store like home depot or lowes for 5$

MUCH cheaper than pet stores X)
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Female bettas are moody I have 4, and when we moved Marge got her dorsal fin torn so bad from her sister Tina. And they get along so well usually! You'd need lots of hidey holes, tons of plants to cover the bottom, middle and top section of the water.

As for the rest of the questions, agreed with everyone else's responses.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote