Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #1 
lacksleepdna

Waterfall filter stressing out my fish- help!

Hi, I have a 1.8gallon filtered waterfall aquarium as shown below:
http://www.petco.com/product/113252/...arium-Kit.aspx

The waterfall's current disrupts the stillness of the water and I think it stresses my Betta fish out because he has bitten a good percentage of his fin off. Is there any way I can slow down the waterfall before it hits the water in the bowl?

(The waterfall feature is part of the filter so I cannot remove one without removing the other)

Last edited by lacksleepdna; 11-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.
lacksleepdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....I love the look of that tank...very nice.....are those live plants?

Other than baffling the filter-you could add some polly fill or a sponge in the filter box to slow it down or just remove the filter all together......

In a 1gal without a filter-with live plants-1-50% water only water change a week should maintain water quality....

Without live plants and filter twice weekly-1-50% and 1-100% would maintain water quality...

Personally I have found that my Betta will do better in a 1gal without a filter.....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-30-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #3 
lacksleepdna

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I have two live plants!

I think I'll go buy some sponges and i'll update on how that works out.

If it doesn't I'll have to take out filter/waterfall part which sucks because I paid so much for the design.
lacksleepdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #4 
Thunderloon

There's room to hang a piece of string over that circle in the middle of the waterfall shelf, you get a kitty's plastic ball and thread through it and hang it right at the surface, adjust level to keep splashing to minimum.

I've looked at that tank a lot and like most of the design, just I have cats that can fish and one who considers the aquarium her personal drinking bowl.

You can also get some of the bio-media that Penn-Plax makes for the Cascade series HOB power filters and cut it to fit down in that channel before that circular post and make a nice bio-filtration point.

I figure I'd use three bioballs if I ever get one of these.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #5 
ErrantWhimsy

What sorts of sponges are okay to use for filters? I've got the same problem, but i don't want to take the filter out.
ErrantWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter stress tail biting