Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #1 
ScurvyGoat

10g Tanks Cursed?

Once I really started getting into Bettas I decided to split an empty 10 gallon 4 ways and put my Bettas in it. I cycled it, had a heater, and had a filter on it. Within 3 months of putting them in all 4 were dead. I tried again, completely cleaned it out and started fresh with everything. Within 3 months 3 were dead and one was doing poorly. I put the lone survivor in a 1 gallon and he was right as rain a week later. This was a year ago and he's thriving now in a split 2.5g. All my tanks are 1g minimum and everyone is doing splendid! -knocks on wood-

I have a friend with a similarly split 10g and they have had the same awful luck! Tens are cursed I tell ye! Anyone actually succeed to split a 10? Or have similar bad luck? I nearly quit the hobby the second time everything crashed, Bo kept me in the game though. <3 I'm just curious if others have tried split 10g tanks and how they turned out.
ScurvyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #2 
tpocicat

I've never split a 10 gallon. I use mine as a spawning and grow out tank. Sorry, maybe someone else will be able to answer your question.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #3 
LittleNibbles93

I have a old 10 gallon split between two, and I've had no real problems apart from film stuff on the surface (which putting bigger holes in the divider at surface level with a hole-puncher has gotten rid of that).

How often were you doing water changes? Did you quarantine any of the bettas before putting them in the tank? What type of stuff did you have in the tanks? (you probably already know that most metals are bad for fish)
LittleNibbles93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

I split a 5.5. It has worked wonderfully, with minor tweaks along the way. :)

I am pretty sure there are a lot of members that have successfully split a 10. Normally they are split 3 ways because people like that look more. The important thing to remember with them is that the water quality with 4 fish in a 10 gallon can go south really fast. That and the bettas need to adjust to swimming vertically more than horizontally.

Maybe try just a double split?
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #5 
mjoy79

I have a split 20G and the 3 guys I have in it are doing great (I had 4 in it at one point but had to move one out due to tail-biting issues). My only guess is that 4 males in a divided 10G might be too many. I know others may feel differently but I wonder if they didn't stress each other out due to being in closer quarters? In the 10G they are very close together and have approx 2G of water/space, if there is substrate, etc.
I could be way off though. Just my thought.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #6 
Myates

Sorry about your string of bad luck :(

It may be something in the tank itself causing the issues.. are you using water conditioner? Do you have any live plants in there? What is your cleaning schedule? Was the tank used prior? Did you use silicone in there for any reason?

Unless one or more of the bettas were sick when you got them, or became ill after and it infected the others.. sounds like there is some sort of chemistry issue.

I've split 10s before, years ago, but as of my recent re-entry into the betta world, I've only kept mine in separate tanks (1-2 gals). Don't remember having any problems before with the splits.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #7 
flowerslegacy

I have four divided 10 gals. Each gal is only divided once (5 gal per side). The only issue I've ever experienced is the non-filter side is more stagnant. That's why I do 50% w/c weekly. It appears to have more of an effect on my live plants as well, but nothing lethal. I +1 Myates - it sounds like a chemistry issue.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

I have a 10 gal divided 4 ways and 3 ways. In the 4 way I have sponge filters (home made) in each section, heated and I have a 2 mossballs, anubias, and lucky bamboo ** leaves above water** . so that is probably why my water seems to maintain integrity. I also Make sure to do water changes weekly and I have 2 halfmoons, 1 super delta and 1 hmpk. mostly with massive fins and I have no tailbiters, and Gorgeous colors. My hmpk was tailbiting at first, but I moved him to an end, and his fins are growing back nicely . In my 3 way I just recently nixed the filters because my boys were getting too stressed, ( they weren't sponge filters) and they have big fins so even when I baffled the filters, they got stressed. I have a mossball in there and I intend to add lucky bamboo, and some anubias. I feel like those easy plants help alot and my boys LOVE anubias, I always find them sitting on the leaves, I just let them float.
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #9 
Anitax3x

oh and I forgot, These setups have been running 4 way- 1to 2 months, and the 3 way- about 3to4 months. No issues whatsoever. and my greatest bubble nesters are in my divided tanks. So I think if it's done properly its a dream
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 PM   #10 
ErrantWhimsy

Anitax, could you post pictures of your 10 gallons?

Last edited by ErrantWhimsy; 12-17-2011 at 09:01 PM. Reason: name misspelled
ErrantWhimsy is offline   Reply With Quote