Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #1 
luluo

Brought home a sick/distressed VT today

I really just need to send my husband to get the fish food from now on. Anyway...

I saw a VT boy at Petco this morning. He was floating on his side and I thought he was dead, but when I got close to the cup he tried swimming a little. I talked myself out of getting him because #1, I already have four Bettas and #2, my husband would be irritated with me. So, I got the frozen food for my other Bettas and left but I couldn't stop thinking about that little VT. So, I set up an old 2.5 mini bow with gravel from an established tank, a moss ball, some pennywort and a spare heater and went back and got him.

I drip acclimated him and he seemed to perk up a bit when his water warmed but was still mostly on his side. I put him in the mini bow and he struggled to swim around but he is now laying on a pennywort leaf, on his side, at the surface. He has terribly dark stress stripes, the darkest I've ever seen. The lights are out so hopefully he is feeling less stressed. I feel so bad for the little guy and I'm wondering what, if anything, I can do for him if he's not any better in the morning.

2.5 gallon tank
78F
Mini Bow filter
Haven't fed him yet, so whatever Petco was giving him
The water in his cup looked really nasty. :(
luluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 AM   #2 
Myates

lol I am like you.. I can only look at fish when I'm with my boyfriend, otherwise I bring one home..

Poor guy...
I would go ahead and try Epsom Salt treatment- 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt per gallon, dissolve it prior to adding in your little guy.. don't forget the water conditioner.. daily 100% water changes. You may want to lower the water level or place him in a smaller container during treatment to make water changes easier (since you have a filter).
Can use a gallon water jug to pre-mix everything to make the water changes quicker for you.

It should get him up and straight within a week.. he may just have a slight SBD issue from water quality and over feeding from the store. Epsom is gentle and safe for them and tends to work like a charm. Let us know how he is doing and if he seems to not be getting better after 3-4 days, or gets worse.

*Can purchase Epsom Salt at any store in the pharmacy dept, like Walmart, Walgreens, Osco Drug, etc.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #3 
luluo

Thank you Myates. I have started Epsom salt treatments. He seems pretty bad off. Hopefully he still has a chance.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #4 
luluo

The poor little guy went to fishy heaven yesterday. :( Thanks for your help.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aww, I'm so sorry about your fish.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 PM   #6 
mardi

I'm really sorry to hear that he didn't make it.

But there is really nothing that you could have done for him better than taking him home, and giving him a nice place to live and to be with someone who cared about his well being for his last few days.

Thank you for taking care of him, and may he rest in peace.

Last edited by mardi; 12-11-2011 at 11:42 PM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #7 
acadialover

Bummer, sorry
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #8 
Myates

I'm sorry you lost him.. always a gamble when trying to save one from the store like that- as we just don't know how far along the illness is.

You did your best and all you could, you went above and beyond helping him. Like was said before- you gave him a nice, comfortable home in his last days and if he could, he would of said Thank You.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote