Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #1 
Littlebittyfish

help diagnose my betta (VERY image heavy)

My betta has not been feeling well for quite a while now…It all began when I had a heater malfunction one night…
I made a post then on 11/14:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=85943

After 5 days or so in QT. with Epsom salt and tannins he started to perk up again and flare at my finger..His scales were still slightly raised though…but despite that he was acting ok again..…So again.. I did a 50% water change on the 10 gallon and slowly acliminated him back into his 10 gallon divided..

My 10 gallon is cycled and heated to 80 degrees..I do 50% weekly water changes and I use prime water conditioner. I feed my bettas 4 pellets a day and occasionally I will feed brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms..(but not all at the same time though)

My other fish Robin has been acting fine and has even made a huge bubble nest…

These 2 bettas have been in this tank for 7 months or so with no serious issues..They were both bought at the same time and look similar in fin colors so I believe they may be brothers..or related..

After getting him back into his divided 10 gallon he was fine in the 10 gallon until yesterday morning.Yesterday morning I could not find him anywhere in the tank…After removing plants and decorations I found him extremely pale (he looked almost yellow) laying on his side at the bottom/back of his tank…I really thought he had already died. He wouldn’t even come up so that I could scoop him out…

I removed him from the 10 gallon again and have him in a 2.5 gallon minibow now all to himself..I haven’t started treatment because I am not really sure what is going on with him…I do have a few almond leaves in the 2.5 gallon now..and it stays at a steady 76-77 degrees .. He is swimming slightly more but he is still lethargic…Sometimes he hovers at the top of the water and other times he lays at the bottom on his side..his scales still look odd to me (slightly raised)..….

I have some photos and I hope maybe someone can help diagnose my betta…any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am having a hard time figuring out what is going on with this little guy and I don’t know how to treat him…Below I have pictures…I am posting pictures just incase you all can see something that I cant…I am completely baffled as to what could be going on with him..

This is one of the first photo ever took of him:

These photos are before he started having troubles and he was acting normal:

Ok...
These are photos when he was in QT. after the heater malfunction.
>>>

Kinda can see how his scales look raised.

These photos are from today in his 2.5 gallon minibow:

again..He is really just not acting "right" and I am having a difficult time figuring out what I should do for him...I dont want to just throw random medications at him without knowing what I am trying to treat...any advise appreciated...
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #2 
smittens4kittens

Exclamation PLEASE HELP nao! SoS

I love this fish for real people <3 we love him to pieces he has had Lego houses ,donkey friends (stone ones) bamboo plants, real coconut houses ,real plants, leaves ext... and he is just not acting right sense the tank over heated?? he swims for a little wont flair!!! and drops back to the bottom of tank to rest?to be depressed bipolar,sick??It's breaking my heart This has been going on for a month now since the tank over heated and he is about a year old/we have had him for a year or so...
smittens4kittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 
Littlebittyfish

My sister ^^
Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #4 
Silverfang

Sorry I can't offer any helpful advice, other than clean water and good nutritious food. I have no idea what to make of the symptoms. Oh, and keep his tank dimmer, it helps bettas if they are stressed.

Hope someone else can offer some insightful help.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If his scales are still raised I would get him back in the Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) and tannins-you may not have treated him long enough the first time....

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and crush up 1 IAL and add to the premixed Tx water to start releasing the tannin and salt to dissolve for about 30min and use this treatment water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today in a small bare QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain water temp in the 77-78F range or lower the water level in the 2.5gal-it just easier to treat in smaller bare containers and to make the needed water changes....the small temporary cups some Bettas are sold in work great for this.....cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain the heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ too-especially if the room air is cool and dry.....dim lit quite location....add some of the live plants like you have to help make him feel more secure....

Over the next 10-14 days-make either 50% back to back water changes or 100% water changes every other day-

In the cooler months the premixed treatment water seem to cool off too much and so I make 50% back to back for that reason and it seems to be less stressful on them too....I would do every other day instead of daily since he looks rather stressed IMO

Feed good quality diet in small frequent meals....

Keep us posted.....pretty fella too.....good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #6 
Littlebittyfish

Thankyou Oldfishlady! I did do the epsom salt. He is still pale and lethargic though.....This morning I noticed a white fuzzy patch that is about 1/4 inch from his caudal fin on his right side...Not really sure if it is fungus or columaris..It was not there the day before..Should I continue with the epsom salt or try something else now that he has a fuzzy patch? It is about the size of the end of an erasure..maybe a little smaller...
I have a few things in my fish cabinet at the moment...I have:
api -maracyn 2
api-ethromycin
aquarium salt
jungle fungus clear
and
jungle 3 in 1 treatment

Paranoid, I scooped my other guy out of the 10 gallon and gave him a good look over...He still looks fine and is acting normal.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

If he is not bloated or showing any buoyancy problems....switching to high dose aquarium salt 3tsp/gal would be a better choice for the new symptom and lower the water temp in the 75-76F range if you suspect columnaris.....be sure and do a slow acclimation over to the different chemistry and add lots of tannins if you have some.....

I don't use the OTC antibiotics so I can't advise on them....sorry....
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

His scales still look a bit raised....So I am worried about trying the aquarium salt..
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

What Epsom salt dose are you using....
Old 12-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #10 
Littlebittyfish

I have him at 2 tsp epsom salt per gallon and I am keeping his tank at 75 degrees right now. I tried getting him up to 3 tsp epsom salt per gallon but he started acting stressed (shortly after I got him up to 3 tsp per gallon he started breathing heavy and he looked more pale) so I did a water change and knocked it down to 2 tsp per gallon.