Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2011, 02:04 AM   #1 
Belated

Continuing tail issues - rot, or something else? :S Please help!

Hi, I'm that betta newb that's been having tail issues. My boy Sodapop had a hole in his tail a week ago, and then it started to look tattered/brittle at the ends. Assuming fin rot, I put him in a QT container with 1tsp/gal of AQ salt, for the last 5 days. In this time, his tail has continued to deteriorate, seeming to recede in from the edges and split in small places. Now most of his tail is losing it's colour, and going from a vivid red edged with black to a dull grey/red, transparent look. I'm very worried about him. :c He's still active, has a great appetite and all that, but his tail just looks dreadful.

He is normally kept in a filtered, heated, 5 gallon tank. I was doing a fish-in cycle before this started, and I have owned him for nearly a month. He eats Omega One Betta Buffet and bloodworms, and is kept at around 78-80F at all times.

I will put up photos when I am able to take some; he doesn't appreciate the camera and won't sit still for it.

Should I up the AQ salt to 2tsp/gal for the next few days, or just stay the same? Or just clean water in his QT tank? Please help.
Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Fin rot is usually black, flakey edges and slowly deteriorate.

If there's no sign of that, it's possible there are decorations that are too sharp for his tail or he might be chewing on his tail.

Factors for tail biting include stress, too much light, aggression, too much weight, and boredom. There are of course other causes, but these are the most common.

check all your decorations with a pair of nylons (If it catches, then they're too sharp) and then try to reduce stress and add some sort of enrichment to the tank (I use bottle caps and a button tied to a string).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #3 
Belated

Right. I still have him QTed in a bare tank, but after 7 days of AQ salt I have decided to stop, only because he was starting to get bloated. I still cannot get a decent photo of him, but his tail tips look the same as this fish's now:

After the AQ salt treatment, is tail is still getting worse. Would it be best to keep him QTed with daily 100% changes, or is there something else I should be doing?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #4 
Pataflafla

Try keeping him in quarantine, but just do a100% every other day.

Try and keep his diet high in protein as well.

Depending on his coloring, his fins might have a natural black coloring to them.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #5 
Belated

His fins do have a natural black edge, but they are definitely falling apart the same way as that fish's. About 1/4 of his tail is gone by now.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

Is he maybe biting his tail?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #7 
Belated

I would assume not, as the rays have been left separate and the holes/rips started out far smaller than his mouth.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:02 AM   #8 
EvilVOG

Pataflafla's the expert here, but if she decides it is fin rot here's the next step outlined in the sticky notes... Don't take this step unless she says to.

Quote:
If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #9 
Pataflafla

If you don't believe he's tail biting and it looks like his tail is flaking off instead of just disappearing, then maybe a medication is needed since the aquarium salt had adverse affects with him.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #10 
Belated

I'll watch him for another day or so, as it is progressing very slowly, and decide if more drastic treatment is needed (or if I catch him biting!). I'll try to get a photo up soon.

Thank you for all of your help! :)