Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #11 
SnowySurface

What annoys me about pet stores is all the illnesses the fish have are prevented by keeping the water clean. It's not like chain pet stores need to get heavy duty chemicals or expensive water purifiers to keep bettas healthy. They only have to change the water daily and stack the cups in a way that doesn't cover the holes. I get ticked off by pet stores because the ways to prevent illness is not only free but simple.

1) change the cup water daily

2) Don't stack the cups in a way that covers the holes

3) Display the cups at adult eye level so they are too high for children to grab/shake/throw/ect.

If that was done at every pet store, there would be fewer dead bettas. Death would be inpossible to avoid for every single fish bescause fish are mortal. But the death that happens now is on a massive scale because of laziness. There is no way I'll believe my 3 suggests would lead to massive loss of profits. :(
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 AM   #12 
Myates

It is sad, and I hate seeing them like that. I understand why they are in the small cups- but as mentioned above, there are ways to keep them healthy while they are awaiting new homes. Corporate side of things is: We still get paid for a dead fish, count it as a loss to the store, so why are we going to pay employees extra time to clean them a couple times a day when they have other things to do.. would take almost a new employee to cover the jobs that cleaning would take away from.
Sadly, it's about cost and efficiency rather then people caring about an animal.

Going shopping today with boyfriend.. possibility of bringing a new baby home *squee*! I figure, they will sell the fish anyways, whether I buy them or not.. so may as well give one a good home then let it suffer and possibly die.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

SOme of them get credit for dead fish so they really dont care if they get sold or not.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #14 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edifiler View Post
to think that people would harm these beautiful creatures just for profit. Money does make the world go mad ._.
Money does corrupt everything, it's sad though, if you look at it this way a BEAUTIFUL and healthy fish would sell for more profit for sure
thejapanesezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM   #15 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
What annoys me about pet stores is all the illnesses the fish have are prevented by keeping the water clean. It's not like chain pet stores need to get heavy duty chemicals or expensive water purifiers to keep bettas healthy. They only have to change the water daily and stack the cups in a way that doesn't cover the holes. I get ticked off by pet stores because the ways to prevent illness is not only free but simple.

1) change the cup water daily

2) Don't stack the cups in a way that covers the holes

3) Display the cups at adult eye level so they are too high for children to grab/shake/throw/ect.

If that was done at every pet store, there would be fewer dead bettas. Death would be inpossible to avoid for every single fish bescause fish are mortal. But the death that happens now is on a massive scale because of laziness. There is no way I'll believe my 3 suggests would lead to massive loss of profits. :(
Yeah the fact that they were stacked on top of each other like that bugged me greatly. Logically you'd think they would wonder if the poor things are getting air that way? I wonder if many of them know that bettas have labyrinth organs and they actually NEED the air :S

I also completely agree with the water changes and keeping them away from children. The only pet store I've seen actually follow these rules was individually owned (where I bought my dear little Aldo) they were put up high behind the register, water was clean, fish were vibrant, beautiful healthy.... all except they were stacked ontop one another. Other than that, they were out of the way and taken care of
Old 12-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #16 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It is sad, and I hate seeing them like that. I understand why they are in the small cups- but as mentioned above, there are ways to keep them healthy while they are awaiting new homes. Corporate side of things is: We still get paid for a dead fish, count it as a loss to the store, so why are we going to pay employees extra time to clean them a couple times a day when they have other things to do.. would take almost a new employee to cover the jobs that cleaning would take away from.
Sadly, it's about cost and efficiency rather then people caring about an animal.

Going shopping today with boyfriend.. possibility of bringing a new baby home *squee*! I figure, they will sell the fish anyways, whether I buy them or not.. so may as well give one a good home then let it suffer and possibly die.
:D I'm so excited for you to be able to bring another little fishy a good home!

Thats the thing, yes, it counts as a loss, but taking care of betta can be so easy... if you have a small stock which most stores here in Canada I've seen maybe 6-10 at the most it really wouldn't take that much time out of the day to change their waters, feed them properly and reorganize/ rotate the stacking. I mean, they charge 6$ a fish here and they look miserable at some stores. If they took good care of them I'm sure they could even raise the price.

When I got Aldo from the individually owned pet store I paid a little more but all the betta there were BEAUTIFUL. I mean absolutely vibrant and healthy, active even though they were in a small amount of space in those cups too. If they're looking at it at profit, they could INCREASE the profit if they spent a little more time and effort on them. Unless a person takes pity on one and wants to save one (which I have done in the past-- poor guy didn't last a day at home I was so sad he was in that bad of a shape he didn't have a dorsal fin) they would much rather buy a fish that would at least live through the night :(
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #17 
thejapanesezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
SOme of them get credit for dead fish so they really dont care if they get sold or not.
Yeah, that upsets me not fair to treat a living creature like that. Not fair to neglect to the point of death either.

Tags
abuse, action, betta, pet store