Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 03:23 AM   #1 
Belated

Exclamation Fin rot, or just a tear? :s (photos)

I went to feed my boy Sodapop a minute ago, and noticed a small hole in his tail. :s I'm now worried about fin rot; his fins have always been black-tipped, so I can't really judge by that. This seems to be the only hole, and it's about 1/3cm long, in the direction of his rays. Is this just a tear? (I guess he got caught on gravel/plants, if i is? :s), or fin rot?

I've got a few pictures here - I've circled the hole in one, and the rest are just to show the rest of his fins/body. Help, please - I'm a betta newb.

Housing
What size is your tank?: 20L (~5G)
What temperature is your tank?: Right now, 80F.
Does your tank have a filter?: Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?: No.
Is your tank heated?: Not currently, the weather is too hot.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?: None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?: Omega One betta buffet.
How often do you feed your betta fish?: 2 pellets in the morning, 3 at night.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?: Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?: 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?: Prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: <0.5mg/L
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?: Small hole in tail fin. Maybe more ragged edges, but I could just be seeing things. :\
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?: Not at all, still flaring at me like crazy, and he just ate happily.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?: Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?: No, unsure if I need to or not.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?: I've had him for 3 weeks, and in that time, no.
How old is your fish (approximately)?: Not sure? As above, I've had him 3 weeks. He's grown in both body and fin size in that time, though, so I assume he's quite young.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, I was using my phone and I need to clean the outside of the tank.

Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #2 
earthworm88

wow! what a stunning betta! Love the color and how healthy he looks!

That looks like a blow-out fin to me. Nothing to worry about. Sometimes the new growth or young/thin tissue is susceptible to this especially you said he had been demonstrating his prowess by flaring. Just try not to excite him in the meantime, that will repair itself usually within 24 hours as long as the water is clean.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #3 
Belated

I was happy enough with this response, but I've just looked again and there seems to be a few very tiny pinhole sized holes in the tips of his tail fin, and I think the top looks a tad ragged. :s
Old 12-02-2011, 12:48 AM   #4 
LittleBettas

You can go ahead and do a light treatment, I would put im in a QT cup and float it in his cup for a few days
Treat 1 tsp per of AQ salt per gallon of water, if it seems to be getting worse, up it to 2 tps
Do 100% water changes everyday or every other day at the latest

-to help maintain temperature and make evrythig easier, I usually float two cups, that way some of the medicated water is standing by already set at the right temp, makes it less stressful for everone :)-
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 AM   #5 
Belated

Thank you, I'll do that on sunday - the only petshop near me that sells AQ salt is shut tomorrow, just my luck - if I do a water change tomorrow morning and add plenty of prime, that should be fine, right? He's still happy, active, and has a good appetite.