Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #1 
Gloria

Question Plants Plants Plants...

So.. I know that there is already a sticky with some wonderful information on plants. I am wanting to order a whole bunch of live plants as all I have is fake. I am VERY bad with plants, I dont have a green thumb at all. But i want to give this a go. It give me something to do plus my Bettas will appreciate too :)
The main plants I am wanting are to benefit breeding/ grow out tanks. The rest I want just so I can give my tanks a little more.
I do not want to spend too much money, as I am low on it. I am unable to get it all here so I am also having to get it sent via post, hopefully it'll get here ok..
I have made a list of all the plants I like the look of and would like one of. I am wanting to know if they will all go together ok in the same tank, as most of them will be in the same tank. Also I would like to know if some of them are so similar to another that I only need to get one.
Here is the list:
- Java Moss
- Java Fern
- Dwarf Sword
- Amazon Sword
- Banana Lillies
- Hornwort
- Milfoil
- Wisteria
- Anubias
- Crypt. Wendtii Tropica
- Lace Fern
- Lilaeopsis pot
- Lilaeopsis Carpet
- Penny wort
- Flame Moss
- Christmas Moss
- Pellia Moss
- Duckweed

What would you get? What do you think I should get? I can't get ALL of them as it'd cost me a fortune. I just want to get a handful to get me started. Thanx.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #2 
kfryman

Well I have wisteria and that stuff is super easy. You can clip and replant too. The java moss/fern (they look way different) You can attach them to stuff I don't know if you can just like plant them. So yeah I would definitely get the wisteria though. Hope this helps.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:08 AM   #3 
EvilVOG

passing on advise i got from another... make sure you only get plants that are fully aquatic.

Don't buy plants that come in a tube... just got a bunch by "top fin" and while what you could see looked fine, when i opened the tubes the rest wasn't quite so good.

only hear good things about Wisteria. just set some up in my tank.

Duckweed is a nice cover, but can go wild in the right conditions

Horwart will drop needles like crazy... mostly just use for breeding tank, another that will go crazy in the right conditions. I have some in my 3 gallon and it doubled in size in a week.

Swords are good
Anubis are good
Javas are good
Wendetii is good

i got most of my plant knowledge from Oldfishlady... i'm sure she'll chime in when she's on tomorrow. in the meantime check out my naturally planted tank thread and OFL's npt tank in this board.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #4 
thebettashop

marino balls are very cool too (Moss Balls) :)
thebettashop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #5 
Gloria

Thanx everyone. I would still love others to give their 2cents aswell. I dont have to rush into getting the plants yet. But I want to try and get them before christmas :)
I have got some moss balls, 6 mini moss balls actually. They are SO cute. I have had them for a month now and am just about to take them out of QT.
That's another thing. How long should I QT any/all of the plants once they get here?
Are all of these plants suitable to be together in the one tank? Like, will any of them 'not get along'?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #6 
Brian10962001

I just ventured back into live plants as well, from my experience skip anacharis unless you keep your tank at 78 or less. Also be VERY selective about which stalks of it you buy, they need to be bright green not dark green or brown. This stuff melts and is just AWFUL if it does. Second Anubis will get covered in brown algae. It's actually a bog plant so it doesn't defend itself very well from it. Wisteria is easy, stick the roots in the gravel and go. Swords are easy, I don't even know what type I have but bought them at less than 3in tall and got 3 sprouts in a pot from Petco. I split it up and now they're doing good. Bacopa is an easy one (called moneywort). I had a little piece of this in my anacharis, it's alive all ahacharis is dead (even the new growth I isolated out of the warmer tank). Finally, I had a bad off algae bloom in my tank. I'm using an incan hood with two of the full spectrum fluorescent replacement bulbs. I started dosing with Flourish excel and the tank exploded, brown algae disappeared! I'm talking visable new growth from all the plants in 24 hours. Also now my anubis is so sparkly clean you can see the tiny fishing line they used to secure it to the lava rock . I think plants in a sorority tank are about the funnest aquarium setup I've ever owned. A whole lot going on for just a little 10 gallon!

I almost forgot, Java Fern is sold as "jungle fern" at Petco. I have one in my substrate but don't bury the rhisome, just the hair roots. I'll probably attach it to some driftwood soon, but I don't want the dark brown tanic water like my old aquarium had.

Last edited by Brian10962001; 12-01-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I would stick with one maybe 2 types of moss per tank...Once it establishes and starts to bush out it can "travel" and mix with the other moss and be a real pain to seperate. If you dont mind that so much I say go for it..I love moss ! Flame moss and java moss are my 2 favorites.If you attach flamemoss to small rocks eventually it will bush upward and look grassy. It also grows pretty fast once it establishes to your water params...Very hardy too! I would substitute the amazon sword with another java fern or anubias if you dont have a deep substrate..Amazon swords need a deep substrate and are heavy root feeders and will need root tabs.
One stem plant I can reccomend is rotala! That stuff is amazing! I started out with a few stems and with every other week trimming I now have 2 tanks full and a few stems in my 29 gallon.Super easy plant and it grows quickly and will fill in space quickly. If you trim the rotala short it will bush out look really nice.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

Is anyone using spider plant? I love to use spider plant (herbaceous plant) for my bettas. I do it for like 2-3 years now. And they stay long too. I used to buy live plants from the pet store and they get rotten too fast. So someone recommended to me spider plants. My bettas love them.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #9 
Oiseau

I have duckweed in my betta and tetra tanks and it has grown like crazy! Flounder loves hiding underneath the leaves.
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #10 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
Is anyone using spider plant? I love to use spider plant (herbaceous plant) for my bettas. I do it for like 2-3 years now. And they stay long too. I used to buy live plants from the pet store and they get rotten too fast. So someone recommended to me spider plants. My bettas love them.
Spider plants like this?
Attached Images

kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote