Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #1 
Comet1993

Question Fin Rot Treatment

So, I quarantined my plants and eventually put one piece of cabomba and one bunch of it in Turbo's tank. For some reason, nearly the whole bunch seemed to be rotting; the stems appeared to be turning a pale brown. So, I took out the unsuitable pieces. I believe that the unsuitable plants may have harmed the water quality. Turbo seems to have fin rot. I'm pretty sure of this. Oddly, he still has white tips on his ventral fins. However, the edges of the other fins appear black and jagged. So, I need to start treating him for fin rot.
Today is the day that I've planned on finally getting a female betta! Yay! The issue is.. Now that I have to treat Turbo, my female betta won't have a quarantine tank. So, I have a few options. I could treat Turbo in the ten-gallon and remove the live plants and use the two-gallon for the female's quarantine tank. Or... I could put Turbo in his water change container, which is about 2/3 of a gallon (Estimate; maybe 1/2?). Or.. I could put the female betta in the 2/3-1/2-gallon container and treat Turbo in the two-gallon. Or.. I could put Turbo in the two-gallon and the female in the ten-gallon... I'm kind of leaning towards treating the ten-gallon and putting her in the two-gallon.. It's just a huge water change..
So, once I decide which one I'm going to do, I can treat him. Input would reallyyy, reallyyy be appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Since you caught the fin rot early...I would keep him in his current tank and make daily 50% water changes along with good nutrition...can you post a pic

Or, if it is pretty bad and you buy the female and she comes in one of the small temporary cups...use that as the QT for the male with fin rot so you could float him in the heated tank and start a standard 10 day- aquarium salt 2tsp/gal, tannins and 100% water change treatment using premixed treatment water.......

What kind of lights are you using over the live plants....age of bulbs, kelvin, watts and photoperiod....often the reason plants die or do poorly is due to not meeting their lighting needs for photosynthesis.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #3 
Comet1993

I'm not able to post any pictures at the moment, unfortunately, but I think it's still pretty early. The rot is far from the body and doesn't seem to have progressed much. I think you're right about the lighting; one of my bulbs recently blew, so there was just one bulb over the entire tank. Together, they are maybe 50 Watts at the most, I believe. So, there's just one, until I can pick up another bulb. I bought one, but it didn't fit. =( So, I have to go buy another one, and the aquarium store I go to has them for under two dollars. I've had the same lights for months, and I usually turn the lights off at night and on during the daytime. I think my other bulb may be about to go out, too, because it keeps making this weird buzzing-type noise..
Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Gosh, I hope they are not 50watts......

For live plants-they need a different color temp than non-planted tanks-what we see and what the plants can use for photosynthesis is two different things....watts are less important than kelvins-we use watts more for a rough guideline...Kelvin for planted tanks need to be 5500-6500k-ideally 6500k since this is more like the color temp of the sun-fluorescent tubes output drops after about 12 months and they need to be changed-we can see the light but the plants can't use it....Photoperiod is also important-plants need at least 10h/day PP with 12h/d PP being best

I buy my light bulbs at either wal mart, lowes, home depot-Daylight 6500k and often much cheaper than aquarium specific bulbs....
Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #5 
Comet1993

If I have two of the bulbs, would they each have to be 5,500-6,500? Or is that collectively?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Yes. each bulb needs to be in the 5500-6500k range....2-3200k bulbs don't make 6400k...its still 2-3200k...its a color temp......
Old 12-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 
Comet1993

I can't seem to find bulbs that show the Kelvin rating. Is there a mathematical formula to determine this? The bulbs for my aquarium were two 15W/120V incandescent ones.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #8 
Comet1993

He's in a smaller tank now for treatment. He won't tolerate the salt, for some reason, so it's just clean water daily now.. He ended up tearing his fins on something in the ten-gallon, which didn't help much...at all. -_- This is so frustrating. I want him to be healthy and have nice, pretty fins again. :(