Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #1 
irbyma7297

need help with shopping list

okay, i need to buy the supplies to get stuff for my betta and a new one.
I need some one to help me get a list of products to buy from a website.
I prefer petsmart, but i am open to buy from another website. it needs to be under 48 dollars, and must include about 20 dollars or so to buy another betta from chard52. i need

Two tanks or one large tank with dividers and filter
Gravel, unless it is already included in the tanks
quality plants (fake)
De clorinater good enough for several tank changes,
food
treats
plus shipping

I know that it's unlikely that you guys would find all those things so i can buy them, but it's worth a shot
irbyma7297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #2 
Anitax3x

go on your local craigslist. because no website will sell you all of that for $28 .
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

If I were you I'd save money. Get a nice 10 gal , divide it (home made there is a sticky on here about how to do it) , set it up for the betta you have, and then once you save up for another male, buy him. That way you have plenty of time to make the tank interesting and to choose your second male. I have mine divided 3 ways so you could even do that. For my big finned fish I like sponge filters, you can make them at home cheap and easy, Sometimes I use no filters period and just do the water changes because their fins are so big no matter what I do they get pushed around. It's all up to you and the way your fish are. Craigslist has really good deals, I found a 40 gal and sponge filters for $20 flat, but again, I had to drop money on sand, plants, hiding places, and an air pump. So remember you will be spending more than expected and probably end up using around $50 for all the stuff you listed if not more.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #4 
ANHEL123

I like to keep them separate in case one get sick. I saw the post when someone had divided tank with 2 betta and one get sick with columnaris and another one got it too. So i would recommend 2 tanks. And i do like to do 100% water changes. Or if you get 2 gall you can do 1-50% and 1-100% a week. I do 100% water changes for all my bettas. I have 2.5 gall for each of them. My oldest betta about 3.8 years old. I don't have filters for my bettas, because I had accident long time ago when betta stuck in it.

Also i am using spider plant. A lot of people have it at home, so if you or your friends has it you can use it for your betta. I use it for about 2-2.5 years .
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #5 
tpocicat

Columnaris is always found in aqariums. Only when the fish's immune system is low will they have it. Just wanted to let you know.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

Yeah I have 2 divided 10 gals and a 40 gal sorority, if you do proper care an qt your fish, you won't have that problem. If a fish is extremely sick wt time will reveal that and you wouldn't introduce that fish until he is well again.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #7 
irbyma7297

okay! thanks for you guy's help!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #8 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
Columnaris is always found in aqariums. Only when the fish's immune system is low will they have it. Just wanted to let you know.
I have found this to be a bit mis leading. I had good water quality and it attacked and killed the strongest least stressed fished in my first sorority. The weakest one who was missing a piece of tail and was stress striped survived and didn't get it until much later (I knew what it was then and she's alive and well now). The Columnaris also jumped tanks with a sprig of philodendron I was using the tank to root. What I have seen that will cause a bloom of it is any kind of rotting material in the tank. I had dead snails in the old gravel and had no clue, when they started to rot the columnaris took off like a rocket. So it's true that bad water quality in a way can cause it but I feel it's mostly bad water quality caused by rotting food/material. I've read some stuff from catfish farmers who have similar stories. The good news is if you catch it soon enough, regular old AQ salt will stop it.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 AM   #9 
Myates

Petco Kritter keeper medium (1.75 gal) $8, large (2.75 gal) $10 (online prices, unsure about in store).. can buy a mini heater for $12+ (which you don't have on your list)..

Those two alone are $22 minimum.. best bet, buy all the stuff you need and can at first.. and you can just save up for a fish from Chard, or spend a few dollars for one in store.

Doesn't need a filter if you do the appropriate water changes.. substrate isn't a must if you don't use a filter.. plants you can't help but spend money on them.. use a coffee cup at first for a cave.. you should have food and water conditioner already if you currently have a betta..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #10 
irbyma7297

oh, i got prince on short notice and i used water bottles at first.
I have food now,
And i need to get water conditioner