Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #1 
Kytkattin

Talking Officially Addicted to Plants!

I just bought wisteria today. That leaves me with anubias, christmas moss, duckweed, Marimo moss balls, anacharis, java fern (crested and regular varieties), lucky bamboo (partial aquatic!), and now wisteria.
In the future I will be adding some other "easy" plants. Just have to make sure that the wisteria grows fine first.

Any other plant addicts?

Maybe we should start a discussion group!

Hi, my name is Kyt, and I am addicted to plants.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #2 
fishy friend2

I think I'm an addict too lol I have a heavily planted 5 gallon, I have hornwort, java moss, penny wort, moneywort, water wisteria, aquatic poppy, some kind of Val, parrots feather, anacharis, amazon swords, argentine swords, banana lilies, duckweed and green cabomba
It is low tech planted tank,
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #3 
Anitax3x

Where do you guys find these plants?! I want some! lol no seriously though where do you get them?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #4 
nel3

i have the plant bug a bit but not without its failures, 2 bunches of ana charis died but i had a incand light for the tank. they're pretty messy but nice., same for 3 java moss , the light bulb was the issue again. i love the 4 wisteria i purchased, full and big as long as they stay rooted. they're still in the process of rooting in and until then they'll float away whenever i do WCs. the anubias isnt doing well even in the far corner from the tank, its yellowing and hasnt rooted yet :(.

Last edited by nel3; 12-01-2011 at 08:40 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #5 
EvilVOG

i got mine from two different Petsmarts and a local pond shop that's branching into Aquariums

However be careful if the plants are sold in a tube... all the tube plants i bought had issues

nel: anubias need alot of light and should be planted accordingly... what kind of light do you have on it?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #6 
Anitax3x

? I thought Anubias doesnt really need alot of care, just tied to something or left floating.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Anubias needs indirect light (though it can grow in direct light, as I have found in my tank, as long as the light is weakish). The most important thing is that you do not "plant" it like you do the wisteria. It will start to rot if you bury what is called a rhizome. I leave my anubias semi-floating. It took about... wow, half a year now for it to really start growing like it should. The bettas just adore it though. :)

My tank has recently been recovering from my experimenting with a 12000K light that gave good things only to hair algae. However, here are some very recent pictures!

A close-up of the now established anubias.

The tiny anubias that I thought for sure would die... now it is slowly coming back!

My girl's tank! Very low tech. Only light comes from the window. The anacharis grows like crazy in this tank!

All of my plants but the moss balls, duckweed, and anacharis came from those tubes. The most important thing is to try inspecting them very closely for mold/rot. There is typically a little gap between the sticker as it wraps around. And you really do have to know your plant species before you buy them since many are semi-aquatic. They are typically labeled, so if you know what you want you can find it.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

Agreed ^^^ :)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:22 PM   #9 
nel3

i have a 15w full daylight spectrum light. the tank cover is designed that the mina divider starts where the base of the bulb is. 2 witeria to a side and the anubias in ain the far corner in the darker side. i put a divider in the 5 gal to accomodate 2 fish. the anubias is difficult to tie down to root, the AQ foam that the lead weight was wrapped around was integrated to the rhizome roots. had to cut the roots to remove the foam but no damage to the whizome. the last pic shows my best attempt to cut the floating slack on the plant to avoid entaglement. the link is for the light i got for the plants. the anubias is slowly yellowing, starting with the veins.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=life+g...:429,r:6,s:114

nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #10 
Anitax3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
i have a 15w full daylight spectrum light. the tank cover is designed that the mina divider starts where the base of the bulb is. 2 witeria to a side and the anubias in ain the far corner in the darker side. i put a divider in the 5 gal to accomodate 2 fish. the anubias is difficult to tie down to root, the AQ foam that the lead weight was wrapped around was integrated to the rhizome roots. had to cut the roots to remove the foam but no damage to the whizome. the last pic shows my best attempt to cut the floating slack on the plant to avoid entaglement. the link is for the light i got for the plants. the anubias is slowly yellowing, starting with the veins.
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=life+g...:429,r:6,s:114

Wow, beautiful tank!