Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #1 
callmeconfused

Talking The girls are in da house! Sorority Day-1

I know this is long, but bear with me, I promise many pics at the end (of course you could always skip to the pics :)

So, I finally decided it was time to put the girls in the 25 gallon tank. I left abba in the 2.5gallon, but I removed the dividers, so she can finish healing.

After the other 8 girls were in I had problems. Angel(who I knew would most likely be my problem child) and Lavender(who I would never have suspected) decided they were mortal enemies. I must admit, I've never before seen a fish beat up another fish with it's bum. Doesn't seem like a smart idea to me, considering the one getting hit with the tail then has ample opportunity to chomp it, which is what happened.

Since neither one was willing to back down, and when I removed one and left the other in, the remaining one would try to do the same to one of the other girls(all of whom seem to be the "run for the hills" types"), Angel and Lavender are now sharing the 10 gallon, than I divided.

The remaining 6 girls (red/copper named Copper, Red named Abigail, Blue/reddish named Alice, red/purple named Eleanore, blue/pink marble named Fetti, and ....hmmm, Cotton Candy, or CC. She is kinda marbled, kinda blended, and is lavender/pink/aqua blue) are quite content.

When one comes out from behind a plant and meets another girl, both surprised girls flare and run away. Other than that, everyone seems happy. They are usually grouped, or at least paired together.

Pics! First FTS, then the girls.

callmeconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 
ilovebunnies

Wow! Looking good! ;) I hope you update the thread so we can see the progression of your soriety.
ilovebunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #3 
laughing

I looove that marble!! I want to steal her!

Beautiful tank, no doubt they're all very happy!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #4 
callmeconfused

ilovebunnies, Will do! I'm hoping all goes well. So far they seem happy!

Laughing, thank you! I actually got Fetti at Petsmart 2 weeks ago. They were having a sale on female bettas, she only cost me $0.49. She's great. She stalks the snails, never attacks, just follows them. lol
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #5 
Dragonlady

I like the live plants! Your setup looks like you have done your research on keeping a sorority tank. I hope it continues to work out. You know how girls can be. lol
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #6 
callmeconfused

Thanks! I tried. I actually found this website while researching sororities!

Day 3- Girls are still doing great. I will try to post pics later this afternoon. Some flaring yesterday...but they both run away immediately, so I don't think anyone explained the rules to them. lol
Old 05-24-2011, 11:29 AM   #7 
carzz

Lol, the last pic make it seem they all are interested in the bottom corner more then anything.
carzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #8 
callmeconfused

Yah, and I often find them all staring at random objects together...weird girls.
Well, as of this afternoon, my girls are trying to get ahold of this whole "pecking order" thing...unfortunately, they all have the attention span of a newborn.

The girls have decided to start claiming territories, but as the two involved begin puffing up and circling each other, something else catches their eyes and they swim over to investigate together. lol.

Anyone up for pics...oh, and still no damage seen on anyone. Eleanore still has her stress stripes, but she does that for a few days after I move her anywhere, and when I turn the lights on, and when I move anything...etc.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your tank looks great! It looks like a mini jungle with all the plants. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #10 
callmeconfused

Ya, I kinda go a "little" overboard when it comes to plants. That ludwigia repens is a bear, though. It likes to take over, lol.

Day 6
Well, I seem to have an alpha. I don't know how, but they must have gotten into a scuffle last night. As of this morning, CC is numero uno. Her and Alice both have some minor fin tearage, but things seem calmer now. Everyone who runs into CC just turns and swims away, which is good I guess.