Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #21 
Draug Isilme

Gyah!! Gotta join! gotta join! =^.^= I've been having plant fever! Although, mine isn't quite 'heavy' planted.. >.> It's getting there, though... I'm gonna have to go back and reread the whole thread (before it gets too long xD) later today when I'm not so sleepy... but from what I've skimmed, it's the kind of thread I want to be in!
I've got 5 wisteria, 1 anubias (thinking of getting another or maybe sword.. dunno yet), 2 marimos named Katamari and Damacy (gonna get 1 more later on xD), and microsword. I plant to get duckweed once I get the chance on aquabid or some place online since none of my LFS's sell floater plants except for anacharis- and there's nothing wrong with the plant, I just don't care too much for the look. I really like the look of vallisneria (sp?), but I'm not quite sure of it just yet... Not sure of any other plants just yet, but I'm sure once I get to talk to everyone on this thread, I'll learn a thing or two about other plants that would be nice to add ^.^

This is from last week- I definitely gotta get an updated pick later today for ya'll 'cause that wisteria got a bit taller since then >.>.. There's also a bit of diatom action going on, but since I've added the microsword (and a CRAP load of elbow grease!), it seems the brown algae is losing the battle ^.^ My only problem is I need to get a light timer when I get the chance -.-;; There's green algae developing now- and while I'm sure that's part of why the diatoms have backed off, I'd rather have my algae in cute chibi spheres, ya know? xD I've been having difficulty being able to turn the light on and off on a specific schedule as mine isn't easy to synchronize with the plants needs ;__;
Okay, done ranting! Gotta get to bed, now -.-... Oh! And I love ya'lls tanks/bowl, btw! They look very lovely! =^.^=
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:10 AM   #22 
JahBetta

Love plants as well! Best way to go; interesting in the tank themselves, not to mention how the Betta reacts with them.

I've got various sp. of Anubias; 2-3 swords, 2 Java Fern, 2 larger crypts, 1 small crypt (parva?), a melon sword that my Betta loves with a passion, and a giant Marimo ball. I want another but I don't think I have the room for it right now; anyone have experience with splitting the bigger ones up though? Could possibly make 2 smaller! Let me know please, thanks!
JahBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #23 
Kytkattin

Yay! More addicts! As for how the bettas react to new plants... When I put the wisteria in the tank today, my female went up and bit it! lol. She has never done that before! She must have thought there was a bug on it or something....
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 AM   #24 
Anitax3x

Awesome! What's your setup?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM   #25 
Anitax3x

Wow I have that same dragon sculpture in the same 5 gal! Haha my only current plant is lucky bamboo though (leaver above water of course) wow I love that setup! Can you split the mossballs?? They're kinda expensive lolTo keep buying new ones
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #26 
Brian10962001

Plants really add another dimension to a fish tank! The best plant I've purchased so far is moneywort. I found a MASSIVE one I named the Bacopa Monster at Wal Mart of all places and left it floating on top. The girls love it, they'll swim over and around it, plus it keeps a lot of my food from floating to the bottom where they get wedged in the rocks chasing it

On Anubias: It will get algae on it like MAD! Mine looked like a freaking rusted ship at the bottom of the tank. I pulled it and rinsed it twice scrubbing all the algae I could off with my thumb. Nothing worked, within a day or two it would be covered again. Finally I added Seachem Flourish Excel to the tank at 2 times the regular dose for 2 days, now its the most vibrant plant in my tank. I do have quite a bit of light for the plants I have though, it's the hands down brightest tank I've ever owned (two 12 watt CFL to regular edison bulbs, 12 watts on these types of bulbs converts to 40 watt incan bulbs and the spectrum on them is nice as well).

On Wisteria: It is a great plant! It will change looks depending on the light levels. It's cheap, it looks a bit odd out of the tank, but once it's in and established its a beautiful plant. I literally just stuck the roots in the gravel and left it, easiest plant I own. I picked this up in a tube at Petco, all other plants looked pretty ragged but this one was thriving in a container filled with dew from it growing.

On Anacharis: People say this plant is a champ and have great luck with it, I wasn't one of them! I got two bundles that were pretty dark, but had nice new growth sprouting off. I placed them in my 10 gallon along with a panted sword or cryptocryne I'm not really certain which it is (such is Petco). I un bundled the Anacharis and let it float. My water temp did rise to higher than what this plant is said to handle but that was a very brief window. It never recovered and just fell apart (this was before the flourish excel, that's known not to work with Anacharis). I removed some and placed it in colder water with different light, and it kept growing but it also kept falling apart. After a week or so it will just melt and MAN is it a mess. I won't be messing with this again, this or Cabomba. Any plant that's a mess to sort when it has problems isn't my thing, I'm still getting chunks of Anacharis out of my substrate and filter.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #27 
Anitax3x

oh wow Good to know!! I think I tried anacharis and it melted and got EVERYWHERE because that sounds familiar. Hmmph .
Old 12-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #28 
Kytkattin

Here is a video of splitting moss balls. I would, but I am afraid mine would get lost in my tank!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld6Oq3UXDno

Hmm... I know temps can get pretty high in my tanks with the anacharis. Though I have had a lot die on me, I have had a couple feet of growth at this point. I want to get one of those ridiculously tall aquariums and just let the stuff grow as tall as it can!

I thought that I would be an anubias killer... I am still amazed it is all still alive!

One word of advice, if something looks like it is dieing/rotting, trim the rotting bit off! Even if it take off half of the plant or more, and you are only left with a little stub and one leaf. That is what I did with my anubias and I think it is the only reason it is still alive!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #29 
tpocicat

I love plants, but I only have some java moss and two lucky bamboos. Not only do I have a brown thumb, I once introduced snails to my tank from a plant I had bougt from my LPS. They do add a whole new dimention to the pictured tanks. Wonderful to look at.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #30 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
Wow I have that same dragon sculpture in the same 5 gal! Haha my only current plant is lucky bamboo though (leaver above water of course) wow I love that setup! Can you split the mossballs?? They're kinda expensive lolTo keep buying new ones
Hehheh, yeah, I got the dragon and the little house thing at PetSmart. Really loved it, and I originally turned it into a sponge filter- before I was going all natural. It worked pretty well, but the thing that was getting on my nerves was the pump- it was the cheapest one, and UBER loud >.< I couldn't stand it! So I removed it. If anything, it makes the tank look roomier without the sponge ^.^ I could split them, but I do really like them this size ^.^;;; Which is why I want to get a new one... They are uber expensive if you're buying more than one, but it's one of those things where I don't mind saving up for... It's probably going to be my last thing I get for the tank, though, so it's gonna be a while >.>; I'd love to put lucky bamboo in my tank, but I figured since I don't have any other light fixture I'm stuck with the hood xD I do plan on making a larger riparium later on in the near future ^.^ Haven't decided how big the tank's going to be, though >.>;;;...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote